“New” Iommi SG

skelt101

Reaction score
I just got a replacement, the first one had some bad QC stuff. But this one is an amazing guitar, terrific sounding and some really cool grain.
Oh my! Did someone from the USA production line sneak off with wood from the Custom Shop? Extraordinary! :cheers:

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
Oh my! Did someone from the USA production line sneak off with wood from the Custom Shop? Extraordinary! :cheers:
It’s funny because the first one I had to send back was very dull looking grain wise, I wasn’t expecting the polar opposite w/ the replacement but couldn’t be more pleased! More importantly, it’s one of the best sounding guitars I’ve ever played, really highly resonant :smile:

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
It looks like you've got the better, Costa-Rican case, too. Congrats!
Thanks! I didn’t even realize there was a change honestly, except that the latches are much sturdier w/ this one compared to the case of my 2020 ‘61 Standard.

semka

Reaction score
Thanks! I didn’t even realize there was a change honestly, except that the latches are much sturdier w/ this one compared to the case of my 2020 ‘61 Standard.
Yes, it's the sturdiest and the heaviest case Gibson USA offers...

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Whoah! One of the Gibson Iommi Specials?
Would love to know your reasons!

It was a really nice guitar, but I wasn't inspired to play it. Maybe because it was a signature guitar and realized I'm not really into that sort of thing. It just didn't feel right to me playing it.

I have three other SG that I enjoy playing more.

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
full

CG' s SG mahogany was different and awesome too.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
It was a really nice guitar, but I wasn't inspired to play it. Maybe because it was a signature guitar and realized I'm not really into that sort of thing. It just didn't feel right to me playing it.

That's too bad that you weren't able to bond with it, cg. That was one of the most insanely beautiful wood grain patterns I've ever seen on an SG.

pancake81

Reaction score

Hey, that is all the justification a fella needs to move one along. The cool thing is that you bought one and played it for a while. Gave it an honest go. No one loves a good special on this site more the CG, we all know that, lol :)

Hopefully you came out square on the sale. If so, just another guitar you can say was once part of the arsenal. You sure didn't hesitate to hit buy now when they became available. If you don't mind me asking, what was your selling platform? Reverb, locals..?

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Agreed, the main thing that justifies selling an instrument is if it doesn't inspire, or feels like "someone else's guitar". I have a Takamini acoustic that I bought because it had onboard electronics in 1991. It works fine for a stage guitar, but in spite of my best efforts to improve the feel through set up etc. I just haven't been able to make it feel like it is mine. Objectively, it is a decent guitar, but it is one I sort of "borrow" from my store room when I need an amplified acoustic to play in a rock band setting. I have a couple of other acoustics that I use for literally everything else. I probably should have sold it years ago, but I am a bit of a hoarder. :D

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Hey, that is all the justification a fella needs to move one along. The cool thing is that you bought one and played it for a while. Gave it an honest go. No one loves a good special on this site more the CG, we all know that, lol :)

Hopefully you came out square on the sale. If so, just another guitar you can say was once part of the arsenal. You sure didn't hesitate to hit buy now when they became available. If you don't mind me asking, what was your selling platform? Reverb, locals..?

I sold it locally.

skelt101

Reaction score
I found a slightly used Iommi Special for what looked to be a decent price and decided to pull the trigger! Will update the thread when it arrives!
23151-2T.jpg
23151-5T.jpg

Igonuts

Reaction score
I found a slightly used Iommi Special for what looked to be a decent price and decided to pull the trigger! Will update the thread when it arrives!

Bumping an old Iommi thread. Coooool.
Nice! P90s in any config are just down right sexy looking. Orange drops. Is that custom shop or std? No sig so... think there was a custom sig, custom reissue, and std reissue. Didnt state the price tag.
Did you get the monkey sticker? Read there was an issue w rt hand guits got lefty stickers. And hows the horn strap button fairing. Back in the day, many of those configs stressed the wood. Became loose. Doesnt look played that much. Very nice bro!! Me thinks the original is in the NationalGuitar Museum now.

Latest posts