1968 SG Junior - what to do with this one?

SG John

Reaction score
I'd fill in both pickup cavities, and re-rout them for P-90s to make a Special. Or, if you're a Zappa Fan, I'd go with humbuckers and some extra circuitry to make a Roxy style SG out of it.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Thank much. This was a batwing and tuners are a must. I think the original 3x3 Kluson deluxe it came with would hide the grover Mark's. They did widen the timer peg holes though. I've fixed these before and its touchy. I like the idea of double humbucker but I have seven of those and no P90s. Maybe double P90s

You can get conversion bushings now that fit Klusons into Grover holes. I'd avoid plugging and re-drilling if you don't have to.

I like the idea of making it 2-pickups, since it's already drilled for 4 knobs. Leave the mini switch holes exposed, that's no big deal IMO.

And I can route and glue in mahogany into the route and fix it decent enough so it doesn't look like a butthole. Definitely needs some cleanup there. I'd be a bit concerned with a bathtub route as these are pretty thin already and I'm not sure of the brittleness of this body. It looks to have been left on it's own for a long time drying out.

Later '60s SGs had swimming pool routes, nothing to worry about there.

latest

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/s...h_route.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190311044245

Am I in the ballpark on this being a 68? Big pickguard, beveled body towards neck? Serial number came back as 65 or 68.

Yeah, you won't be able to narrow it down any more than '66-'68 without the parts that were stripped from it. The heel design puts it in that range, though.

Soultrain

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's inputs! While I'm partial to original guitars I do think I can have some fun with this one. Will definitely have a batwing, 2 pickup, 4-knob setup.
I'm not a big vibrola user so but have seen an original tailpiece without the vibrola. I could also just do the wrap bridge as originals aren't too hard to find.

Pickups are first to figure out. I love Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbuckers but was thinking about the Antiquity P90s. Anyone have experience with those?

Other thing is the tuners. I can do 3 on a pane but this one had the individual Kluson Deluxe. I can find them but they are pricey for the risk of buttons being brittle. Could go with new ones though.

I'm going to leave the body and neck alone as much as possible. I'll clean up the routs but for initial assembly leave most of the rest alone unless there is an issue.

Soultrain

Reaction score
Got a few parts for the 68. Found original bridge, tuners and vibrato plate (though I probably won't use it unless I find the arm). Tuners definitely cover the ugly and have nice mojo. Need some conversion bushings for the Klusons as the holes were enlarged for Grovers. Bought a pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90s. Taller covers coming from StewMac and a block of mahogany to repair route damage. Correct batwing is being made. I'm going to buy the switch, jack and pot. Any recommendations on a kit or better to buy separate? I'm not a wiring guru but can solder. May go with SD layout if no better ideas.

20220201_213659.jpg 20220201_213733.jpg

Soultrain

Reaction score
I have the new 3-in-line tuners but it came with 3x3 tuners. Ones in pic aren't the originals as they were the original Deluxe 3.x3. Anyone think the pull distributed by 3x3 is less on the neck joint than a 3-in-line? I want to keep this one so want to ensure I don't increase tension on the joint. Maybe overthinking.

Attachments

• 20220113_122902.jpg
    20220113_122902.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220201_213733.jpg
    20220201_213733.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1

MR D

Reaction score
Awes
I have the new 3-in-line tuners but it came with 3x3 tuners. Ones in pic aren't the originals as they were the original Deluxe 3.x3. Anyone think the pull distributed by 3x3 is less on the neck joint than a 3-in-line? I want to keep this one so want to ensure I don't increase tension on the joint. Maybe overthinking.
Awesome opportunity to make a truly unique SG Special or whatev you decide to call it.....its lookin better already.
I wouldnt worry about the 3 in-line tension and that, as you said, seems a bit of an overthink ? The neck joint pictures look perfectly OK to me...... any play in the Neck Joint (Wobble?) ? If not, I'd say its ready for the 3 in-line..a good choice too, as it covers the holes..

From just lookin at pictures: My only concern would be the routing of the neck pickup as its near the tennon and IDK if you would be actually routing the body, the tennon or both, yes?

I have no idea that if the tennon was involved in the routing that it would make a difference in the neck joints stability? BUT, as long as the neck doesnt just fall off, and need to be reglued, yes? GO FOR IT !

As is often said, "NO GUTS, NO GLORY ! " , "DARE TO BE GREAT !" etc etc....

Definitely post some pics when you are done...players here appreciate that sort of thing.

Les’s Nemisis

Reaction score
Like it. I'm a big fan of P90's.

For controls, you've got a lot more flexibility (holes) than you need with two P90's. If they were HB's, I'd have two vol, two tone, two series parallel switches, and a variatone in the last hole. With P90's, you could do series / parallel on the two pickups, and you can still do the varitone, but that leaves you with one more switch hole. Maybe it's a kill switch, or swaps the tone caps to another value.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
There's no difference in pull between different types of tuners. What I'd be focusing on is what is best for the guitar and what is best for me. If I'm putting the Vibby back I'd might go for locking tuners, just in case. If I fear neck dive I'd go for the most light weight ones, if both then I'd go for the most light weight locking tuners and so on and so forth. There's no point in keeping things original unless you restore to flip. In this case not even then because there's too much damage. In other words I'd restore it to fit my personal needs and taste, not because holes for switches give opportunities that would be pointless to me etc.

Last edited:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
The tuners should have no effect on pressure on the neck joint, so just go with the tuners of your choice. I have considered changing tuners in the distant past, but honestly never done it and don't feel it would have made a whole lot of difference if I had. If you want to change the tuners, figure out why first, as that will be the only way to determine which ones will likely fix your issue.

fernieite

Reaction score
Hey @Soultrain. I love what you're planning to do to your old sg!

I'd be willing to donate some slightly used vipots to your project, if you want?
I've got a full set of four 550k. I'll throw in a pair of nos Dr. Vintage .022 PIO tone caps too.

Just pm me if you want them.

Last edited:

fernieite

Reaction score
Edit: The pots and caps are in the mail. I sent you four Dr. Vintage (CTS made) 500k pots instead. This way you'll have a complete Dr. Vintage setup. (pots and caps)

Your 1968 SG would have originally had CTS pots, so it's a proper alternative. Enjoy!

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
Edit: The pots and caps are in the mail. I sent you four Dr. Vintage (CTS made) 500k pots instead. This way you'll have a complete Dr. Vintage setup. (pots and caps)

Your 1968 SG would have originally had CTS pots, so it's a proper alternative. Enjoy!
Awesome of you to do!

Latest posts