2017 Gibson SG Standard Vintage Sunburst - Possibly The First Actual Pictures

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Now that I've cleaned the drool off the screen on my phone, HNSGD! That color is dead sexy!

rockerbilly58

Reaction score
That's a beautiful guitar. I especially like the sunburst back instead of the all-too-common black most Gibsons have these days. Well bought.

likea45

Reaction score
Always one smart arse isn't there?

Everyone else understood the fact that these are the first un-edited in the flesh photos that are a decent resolution so you can actually see what you'll get if you order a VS 2017 standard.

I haven't seen this model anywhere except amazon. Those pics were enough for me to order one. They are really good shots of the whole git. I'm just reacting to the ALL CAPS none you wrote with regards to available images.

Mjj4

Reaction score
I haven't seen this model anywhere except amazon. Those pics were enough for me to order one. They are really good shots of the whole git. I'm just reacting to the ALL CAPS none you wrote with regards to available images.

I guess you have trouble reading? I didn't write the 'All CAPS' none, someone else did. It's an amazon exclusive colour which has already been mentioned here and on Amazon. Clearly the pictures on Amazon were enough for me to order one too considering there were no other photos out there.
You should take some time to have reading lessons before rushing into writing pointless posts to the wrong person.

D.L. Luna

Reaction score
I didn't mean to offend anyone by writing in all CAPS haha. I was just EXCITED to see awesome pictures of the guitar I ordered but hasn't arrived yet.

Seriously though, I've been looking back at these pics every day in excitement. I've always been more of a burst guy, but wasn't too keen on the cherry burst offered. Then I saw the vintage sunburst and knew that I had to order it.

Only thing I don't really dig about the model aesthetically are the knobs. Don't hate them, I'm just not thrilled with them. I have some black/silver reflector knobs I might put on her when she arrives, and I've also been scoping out black/gold reflectors (might look nice with the burst)... or maybe I'll just keep them as is. Ah, the joy of guitar.

Mjj4: now that you've had the guitar for a bit, how does it balance? I've never owned an SG before, and I'm not too worried about neck dive (I have a Tokai Firebird that dives like an olympian, still rocks though), just curious and hoping it balances well... one thing I didn't check when I played one in a shop.

Thanks for all of the convo, you're all keeping me afloat while I wait for this SG to arrive!

Relic61

Reaction score
I got to go on record & say those pictures posted here were WAY better (oh oh, Caps! lol) than any typical Amazon file photo. In fact, the depth of the grain, color of the finish & over all quality was pretty mind blowing & exciting. I got way more GAS looking at these pics posted here than I've gotten from looking at a picture of a guitar in a long long time!

I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the Nibs on the fret job & binding I would be in hot pursuit of procuring this exact color model for myself.

It only makes me ask the question, 'Why can't Gibson get it right & rid the HP model of that albatross of an G-Farce auto-tuner & offer a fret over binding HP Standard without this gimmick that no real professional is going to use or count on during live performance?'

Sorry to 'go there' but that's how hard this threads pics hit me man!
I love this guitar & can only hope I get a chance later on to acquire a fret over binding model with this color & quality finish somewhere down the line.

likea45

Reaction score
I guess you have trouble reading? I didn't write the 'All CAPS' none, someone else did. It's an amazon exclusive colour which has already been mentioned here and on Amazon. Clearly the pictures on Amazon were enough for me to order one too considering there were no other photos out there.
You should take some time to have reading lessons before rushing into writing pointless posts to the wrong person.

You started all that with the 'smart ass' comment.
I was messing around and the OP with the "none" in caps , it wasn't you. Oops. So while I take reading lessons, you should learn to lighten up a little and not just be a dumbass with a nice guitar.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
I hope they will be available at other places than Amazon. Not that I don't like amazon, but I've got a really good relationship with some local stores, and would love to send the business their way. I talked to Sweetwater, and they did not know if they would get any.

The part number for the Vintage Sunburst is SGS17VSCH3. The dark cherry burst is SGS17C6CH1. I'd rather have the VSB.

likea45

Reaction score
I hope they will be available at other places than Amazon. Not that I don't like amazon, but I've got a really good relationship with some local stores, and would love to send the business their way. I talked to Sweetwater, and they did not know if they would get any.

The part number for the Vintage Sunburst is SGS17VSCH3. The dark cherry burst is SGS17C6CH1. I'd rather have the VSB.

As I understand it, Amazon like sweet water, Sam ash etc has their own deal with Gibson for exclusive models. You won't see this guy any where else based on the conversation I had with their CSR before ordering.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I talked to Sweetwater, and they did not know if they would get any.
I'm less than happy with Sweetwater these days. I feel like they strung me along too long on my "backordered" new amp.

So....
giphy.gif

I'll get over it soon enough, but I'm not ordering anything that's "arriving soon" from them again.

Relic61

Reaction score
I feel like they strung me along too long on my "backordered" new amp.

How long was too long for you??

I waited 2 months for my double neck. But it was such a good price & I was so stoked about the looks that I would have waited 6 months! lol sayin..

Raiyn

Reaction score
How long was too long for you??

I waited 2 months for my double neck. But it was such a good price & I was so stoked about the looks that I would have waited 6 months! lol sayin..
December. It was the same price as all the big guns, but the kicker was the two year warranty.

The sales manager at my local Sam Ash hooked me up though. Dude dropped the price of the amp enough to fit the $28 two year warranty in order to "price match" Sweetwater. I did have to pay local sales tax, but leaving with the amp in hand was worth it. Had to buy my own mini Tootsie Rolls though......

Relic61

Reaction score
December. It was the same price as all the big guns, but the kicker was the two year warranty.

The sales manager at my local Sam Ash hooked me up though. Dude dropped the price of the amp enough to fit the $28 two year warranty in order to "price match" Sweetwater. I did have to pay local sales tax, but leaving with the amp in hand was worth it. Had to buy my own mini Tootsie Rolls though......

Nothin like instant gratification!

Or a bag full of Toosie Rolls!

Crossroads

Reaction score
Gorgeous. Congrats.

That thing is just begging for reflector knobs though. I would go with black/silver. It's nice when the knobs match the chrome trim.

Last edited:

Bliggick

Reaction score
Gorgeous. Congrats.

That thing is just begging for reflector knobs though.
I agree. Reflector knobs and a black switch washer too, but that's it.

That control cavity cover looks like the same type of plastic as on my 96 Guild S-100. On my Guild it's kind of flexible and reminds me of the plastic used for a VHS tape box.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
As I understand it, Amazon like sweet water, Sam ash etc has their own deal with Gibson for exclusive models. You won't see this guy any where else based on the conversation I had with their CSR before ordering.
Well that's annoying, I guess. I just wish SW had something special of its own. VSB SG's are such a classic look, so I'm always surprised that they aren't in continual production. Instead they give us a "cherry darkburst" for the other places.

I'll keep my eyes peeled....

Latest posts