2021 SG Standard neck angle?

WillyWP

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the neck angle of 2021 SG Standard should be? Meaning, I'm looking for the measurement of the proper neck angle.

I just received a 2021 Gibson SG Standard today which I purchased on Reverb.com and it looks like the neck angle is wrong. The bridge pickup cover is so high it popped out of the pickguard. I own a 2018n and a 2019 Les Paul and the neck angles don't look close to this.

Then, I noticed the neck was bowed back so I released the truss rod a little and tuned up the strings thinking someone who had no idea what they were doing tried do do a set up, and it appears that I'm not getting any relief back in the neck.

Its got to be a bad neck angle, but I want to measure before I initiate a return.

IMG_2342.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpeg
    IMG_2340.jpeg
    926 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

JimH

Reaction score
I own one and I have played a number of them. They are all like that and they are fine. The 61 standard has a shallower neck angle. I prefer the steep angle of the Standard to the shallower angle of the 61 Standard, I find it easier to pick when I have more room under the strings. Also I don't have to deck the bridge to get low action like I did on the 61.

Last edited:

WillyWP

Reaction score
I own one and I have played a number of them. They are all like that and they are fine. The 61 standard has a shallower neck angle. I prefer the steep angle of the Standard to the shallower angle of the 61 Standard, I find it easier to pick when I have more room under the strings. Also I don't have to deck the bridge to get low action like I did on the 61.

WillyWP

Reaction score
They're not all like that, I've owned a few. And, its not okay either. The pickup cover should not be able to be raised so high the back of it is higher than the pickguard. My question wasn't if you are fine with it, my question was for the measurement of what the neck angle should be.

JimH

Reaction score
They're not all like that, I've owned a few. And, its not okay either. The pickup cover should not be able to be raised so high the back of it is higher than the pickguard. My question wasn't if you are fine with it, my question was for the measurement of what the neck angle should be.
I didn't see that he had said the cover is higher than the pickguard, that is a problem. That guitar needs to go back.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Send it back. That is not acceptable. Gibson make ridiculous claims (which I can't locate right now) for neck angle tolerance which imply that bridges should all be within 0.015" of the same height. They lie. They just stick any old neck in any old body and kick the result out the door. Ideally the strings should just lie on the frets about one turn of the bridge screw before it bottoms out. That gives you an ideal clearance adjustment.

rabbit

Reaction score
Similar to Cerebral Gasket I checked my older and newer neck angles.

Older SG guitars are between 4 and 4.5 degrees... Newer SG guitars just under 3 degrees.

Visually yours does look more extreme, so what measurement do you get?

Colnago

Reaction score
Hopefully you have an easy return on your hands. Correct neck angle can be subjective as Gibson doesn’t give a specific one. If the rest of the guitar is as described, this “might” be difficult to return especially if it’s not from a store.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Didn’t also say the neck has back bow? He needs to exchange it or get a refund.