2022 SG Standard 61 upgrades

Colorado

Reaction score
Hi all;

I just bought a 2022 SG Standard 61 Vintage Cherry. What if any upgrades would you do? Or would you leave it as is?

Thanks...

laza616

Reaction score
I would have upgraded it with a lot of playing as the poor thing was just sitting somewhere in the shop or factory warehouse
Would've bought some fine lemon oil for the fretboard, strings cleaner too and also hardcase yeah

Colnago

Reaction score
I always replace the strings on a brand new guitar to the flavour I prefer.
Depending on the electronics, I’ll change out the harness to CTS pots with paper in oil caps, it’s cork sniffery buy I don’t care.
Blank truss rod cover is nice too.
Otherwise rock that thing until you want to swap pickups!
Welcome to the club!!!

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Hi all;

I just bought a 2022 SG Standard 61 Vintage Cherry. What if any upgrades would you do? Or would you leave it as is?

Thanks...
Feel free to post some pics of your new baby (this site only accepts 1 MB or less in size). I agree with Iaza and Colnago, find yourself (if you don't already have on or are one) a good set-up guy/luthier and take a pack of your favorite strings, get it set up to your liking and then play the hell out of it for a good month or so. See if you like it stock or if there is something you think you might change. I have a '21 '61 Standard and wasn't crazy about the Burstbuckers and replaced them with SD "Seth Lover" pups. But that's just me, you may love the BBs through whatever your rig might be. Took me a bit to get used to the feel of the neck, but now I love the darn thing. IMG_0687.jpeg

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I agree with the above posts, put your preferred strings on it, do a player's set up and get it as good as it can be with what you get, and then play the heck out of it for a few months. If there are any weaknesses that show up after that time, only then would I start to think about upgrades. Step one is always to find out what you have, and that takes some time.

Don't get hung up on the "laundry list" school of modding. Often times there is a wonderful guitar there right out of the box if you take the time to learn how to work with it. A lot of mod fever buyers wind up wasting a lot of money, and sometimes even do more harm than good.

Igonuts

Reaction score
Already has CTS pots. Hand wired w orange drop caps. I second the motion on strings and oiling those dry rosewood boards. Those soft nickle gibbie strings, for me had to go. Might be better on influencing the mag field than most (guessing, as I've not a clue there), but they turned my fingers realy grey in three hrs of playing.

IMO
Should wait 45 days b4 modding if you bought new. Just in case *cause to return* rears it's ugly head.
‐---------
@An Abiding Dude
SD "Seth Lover" pups. Interesting.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Reaction score
Hi all;

Thanks...
I got a 2020 SG Standard '61 and din't do no upgrades. Just played the heck out of it to break it in. Maybe a set of strings and as @laza616 says a touch of lemon oil for the fretboard. But not too much, a drop or 2 on a rag once or twice a year is enough. Mine already came with a hardcase, so din't have to get one a those. Just play it as is, they're great outta the box.

20210920_170646.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
I wouldn't upgrade a thing until it's properly set up, played, and burnt thru a few sets of strings. THEN decide if something needs upgrading.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
IMHO the Gibson SG Standard 61 is one of the best guitars Gibson makes.
Which is saying a lot... because they make a lot of excellent instruments.

You'll read lots of posts by guys who say negative things about this or that.
It's mostly blowing smoke... also IMHO. And mostly on other fora.
This forum doesn't get too negative except for a few trolls.
But I'd agree with my colleagues above: The best mod you can do is a good
setup job done by a qualified luthier. ALL guitars need a good setup when you
first get them.

papagayo

Reaction score
My 2015 SG Std with upgrades I posted before,

SG Standard TBK 225.jpg

Mitchey75

Reaction score
I think it always depends on what you want to "improve": the sound / feel or the look of the guitar.
On my two '61 Reissues I have made 90% optical changes only because I was always happy with the sound / handling:

Wide Bevel Pickguard
Faber ABR-1 Bridge aged + Studs
Faber aluminum stop tailpiece aged
"Art Of Aging" Top Hat Knobs
"Les Paul" Historic Truss Rod Cover
Gibson Lyre Tremolo Cover (No Tremolo System!)

papagayo

Reaction score
I think it always depends on what you want to "improve": the sound / feel or the look of the guitar.
On my two '61 Reissues I have made 90% optical changes only because I was always happy with the sound / handling:

Wide Bevel Pickguard
"Les Paul" Historic Truss Rod Cover

Do you have pictuures ?

Mitchey75

Reaction score
I see the Gibson Lyre Tremolo Cover, other parts are stock, right?

papagayo

Reaction score
Okay, if you want I see that... Where is the wide bevel pickgard, the ABR-1 bridge, etc..?

3bolt79

Reaction score
Why would you pay that kind of money for a Gibson that didn’t have what you wanted and then spend even more on so called “Upgrades?” Or are we talking about an Epiphone?

Latest posts