'21/'22 Standard vs. Standard '61 Frets

Mondoslug

Reaction score
Differences...I had another thread commenting on the frets on a brand new Standard '61.
Not to beat a dead horse but...

It's a beautiful guitar, low action, plays smoothly, sounds good...i don't like the frets. I don't even know what year 213220388
They're lower than I like. I just went and played a 2016 Standard in town, the frets were huge plus it had 9s on I think so
apples to different apples and no two guitars are alike...even from the same run, I certainly get all that, it was easy to grab a note and bend though, easier anyway so...

Question- does anybody know, is there a difference in frets(that we know of) between new Standards & new Standard '61s?
I know the necks are different, it joins the body at a different spot and all that but I was just wondering if anybody knew if different frets are being used between the two? Probably not.

Thanks for not kicking me out. :)

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any difference. Gibson always uses Dunlop Medium-Jumbo frets unless otherwise specified. The only thing that might affect it would be the Plekking process. I'd say it's more likely a difference in action and/or neck relief that you're feeling.

Mondoslug

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any difference. Gibson always uses Dunlop Medium-Jumbo frets unless otherwise specified. The only thing that might affect it would be the Plekking process. I'd say it's more likely a difference in action and/or neck relief that you're feeling.
Hey thanks for the info about Gibson using Dunlop Medium-Jumbos on both models...appreciate it! I put 9.5s on, felt pretty good, E & B were a little too plinky, 44, 34, 24 felt pretty good though, ended up with a D'Addario set of 10s with a 16 G. It plays good, I think it's set up pretty well, just don't love the frets I guess.

Mondoslug

Reaction score
I'm trying to stop talking about this...I am! Really! So I've been looking around the internet and lower frets than used to be is indeed a Gibson thing that has been happening the past few years. No?
At least there's a bunch of folks who think so. I'm not saying it's a bad thing unless you don't prefer them. The term Medium Jumbo though...I dunno. That's kind of wide open.

MR D

Reaction score
I'm trying to stop talking about this...I am! Really! So I've been looking around the internet and lower frets than used to be is indeed a Gibson thing that has been happening the past few years. No?
At least there's a bunch of folks who think so. I'm not saying it's a bad thing unless you don't prefer them. The term Medium Jumbo though...I dunno. That's kind of wide open.
YES, I do remember that GIBSON came out and stated that on some specic Guitars, that they were using lower frets...IIRC, it was just after the bankuptcy...2018(?).....definitely seems like a cost cutting maneuver to me....

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I am familiar with the concept of fairly small per unit savings having a significant impact on overall costs with large production runs, but really I can't see any potential savings here beyond a few milligrams of fret material per guitar. I don't think we can chalk this one up to Gibson "getting cheap on us". It wouldn't surprise me at all if the cost difference were zero at the end of the day. Many people like the lower frets after all, and Gibson often changes their product to meet the ever shifting perceived demands of their customers. Don't worry, they will make railroad tracks for us again in a year or so. :naughty: