21 Gibson SG Modern tuners

MR D

Reaction score
Re: a replacement for the Grover 205, you might look into the Schaller M6 180 locking. The dimensions look really close, but they are unfortunately tough to find. As far as counter weights, I have attached these to the inside of the control cavity cover:
Counterweights
WOW Skel, that is the best idea I hav seen so far.....back in the day I had a seriously sharp SG Standard that neck dive was severe enough to aggro the $#!T out of me.it was really bad, not the worst I'd ever seen but up there.......my solution was a plastic bag inside the control cavity w/5 ounces of BB's in it. I wrapped the BB's in a plastic bag and made them as flat as possible. and rigged it to the cavity door/cover.......it worked really well but I always had it in my mind that the bag was going to break and I was going to short out my rig and entire house or bar where ever I happened to be plugged in......of course it never happened and the Guitar never Neck Dove again...up until I got the 2017 SG Standard that particular SG was my fav SG of all-time, a 1979 Standard that weighed over 8 Lbs...it was truly a MONSTER ! I dont quite get why people are down on Norlin era GIBSON's I thought they were just as good as any era GIBSON that I ever played/owned and that is across the spectrum of Solid Body Electrics that GIBSON produced. Flying V 's excepted as I never had one until recently.

Last edited:

skelt101

Reaction score
WOW Skel, that is the best idea I hav seen so far.....back in the day I had a seriously sharp SG Standard that neck dive was severe enough to aggro the $#!T out of me.it was really bad, not the worst I'd ever seen but up there.......my solution was a plastic bag inside the control cavity w/5 ounces of BB's in it. I wrapped the BB's in a plastic bag and made them as flat as possible. and rigged it to the cavity door/cover.......it worked really well but I always had it in my mind that the bag was going to break and I was going to short out my rig and entire house or bar where ever I happened to be plugged in......of course it never happened and the Guitar never Neck Dove again...up until I got the 2017 SG Standard that particular SG was my fav SG of all-time, a 1979 Standard that weighed over 8 Lbs...it was truly a MONSTER ! I dont quite get why people are down on Norlin era GIBSON's I thought they were just as good as any era GIBSON that I ever played/owned and that is across the spectrum of Solid Body Electrics that GIBSON produced. Flying V 's excepted as I never had one until recently.
Thanks D, but unfortunately I can't take credit for the counterweight idea. I got it from Fluff in this video:

MR D

Reaction score
Thanks D, but unfortunately I can't take credit for the counterweight idea. I got it from Fluff in this video:

Coolio, and it still works !!! The BB's was the best I could come up with, BAH !!!
What kind of guitar is that ? an EXLESSTRATOMONSTER ? Guild?

MR D

Reaction score
@ Sklet, TNX 4 that link......WOWO, I just looked at the Balaguer website and it looks like they can make one of their CUSTOM made-to-order guitars for $1550 ? Its starting to look like a CUSTOM build is becoming somewhat affordable.....if I understood correctly what I saw and it is actually the case....then it is serious competition for the Jay-Dee Custom builds of the guitar making world....those guitars look pretty BAD-A$$$ !
Manufactured in Korea if I saw right...and that has to be the key to why they are affordable......no way Made in USA is coming in at that price point.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
Too bad I didn’t see this post months ago.

I have a set of Grover locking sitting in a baggie in the parts drawer.

I have been systematically replacing all my deluxe and locking with split posts.

most geetars have a bigsby.

MR D

Reaction score
Too bad I didn’t see this post months ago.

I have a set of Grover locking sitting in a baggie in the parts drawer.

I have been systematically replacing all my deluxe and locking with split posts.

most geetars have a bigsby.

IDK if I've ever seen 'Spilt-Posts' TM's as you posted above, that weren't G-Farce. Who makes them ? From the looks of the ones you posted they remind me of the 'G-Farce' TM's.........are they MIN-E-Tune or 'G-Farce' TM's ? IDK if Epiphone went that route...Those look like the strings are put on in the same manner as how the strings go on the 'G-Farce' system......I think Min-E-Tune and 'G-Farce' got BAD RAPS because in 2014/2015 GIBSON USA made people accept them as standard equipment, rather than making them an available accessory? and then, when people HATED them so much, GIBSON offered FREE replacements, IIRC (BIG IF THERE !) ???? The 'Min-e-Tune' and 'G-Farce' TM's got bad raps but my experience with them was that they worked flawlessly. They just weren't my cup of Whiskey.

Latest posts