82 SG special. Has Gibson over Epiphone logo.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Welcome to ETSG anyway.

I think you should just keep it and play it. If it's actually
authentic, it's a piece of history that might get more valuable.
To my mind, it's worth more as simply a guitar that you can use to
play music on. Hard to sell to a regular guitar player type, but
maybe with potential.

Only a very knowledgable collector would pay a premium price for
something that looks so much like a fake. But if the story is true
and can be verified, then the limited numbers might generate interest. I'd be inclined to take it to a very respectable guitar appraisal service, such as Elderly Instruments in Lansing Mi,
or Gruhn's guitars, or even back to the Nashville Plant in person.
This thing needs a certificate of authenticity to be credible,
to a person like me anyway.

A dubious adventure for a profiteer or a gambler. But if it's a nice
guitar, then it's a good piece to own if you're a musician.

Biddlin

Reaction score
This thing needs a certificate of authenticity to be credible,
to a person like me anyway.
Yeah, even with, it's worth about $700-800. I've seen a couple of these over the years. One with the Epiphone logo intact sold in the SF Bay area recently for $725, with all of the original paper work and case. I took a pass on one of the Gibson repaints last year, but think it sold for $750. Nice guitars, but not worth a bundle nor likely to become "collectible" for a few decades.

BillW

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Challenger from the early 1980's which has a Gibson-painted-over-Epiphone logo on its headstock. It's not always easy to see, but some light angles it's visible. Gibson is known to re-purpose extra parts especially on low-cost models.

-- Bill IMG_0425.JPG

drown

Reaction score
It's all about how much you paid for it and how much you would let it go for. I've seen a 82 epi special listed for over 800 on Ebay recently. I'm not saying you should keep it or sell it...just have realistic expectations of what you'll get for it based on how much you paid and what its really worth. But it wont fetch much more than an equivalent epi model IMO.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
$700!

Damn, I'm glad I'm not a collector....

I would have offered $75, and maybe gone up to $125.... Maybe...

RedRiverII

Reaction score
I saw a somewhat reduced in price SG, that had Les Paul written across the headstock yesterday. The store clerk, salesman, said Gibson doesn't like these mistakes, so they can sell it cheaper. No, I don't believe all salesman speak, but I think QC might have screwed up a bit. I'd call Gibson and ask whatchathink Gib?

Paul G.

Reaction score
OK. All this is interesting but....

How does it play? How does it sound?

One 'bucker, wrap, mahogany/maple -- looks interesting!

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
What can you find out about the serial number?

I'd be more inclined to believe that an owner of that guitar put the Gibson. Logo over the epiphone one.

Even if the serial number makes it one of the spirit line.....there's no reason to discount the idea of an owner mod.

The tuners have obviously been swapped out. Why not a logo and headstock spray?

The only spirit model I've
Ever seen was a double cut lp special body. I've never seen mention of an sg spirit guitar. But those were strange days.

It's pretty well documented that these guitars were produced this way. The SGs were the American Series Special:

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/American_Series#Special_I_.26_II

I have a Gibson Challenger from the early 1980's which has a Gibson-painted-over-Epiphone logo on its headstock. It's not always easy to see, but some light angles it's visible. Gibson is known to re-purpose extra parts especially on low-cost models.

Now THAT is interesting, because the Challenger was never sold as an Epiphone AFAIK. Maybe they used a neck from a Spirit model by accident?

I saw a somewhat reduced in price SG, that had Les Paul written across the headstock yesterday. The store clerk, salesman, said Gibson doesn't like these mistakes, so they can sell it cheaper. No, I don't believe all salesman speak, but I think QC might have screwed up a bit. I'd call Gibson and ask whatchathink Gib?

That sounds very sketchy. Never trust salesmen stories. The only SGs with Les Paul on the headstock should be Juniors (and those recent ones with the Sharpie scrawl), and I highly doubt such an advanced factory as Gibson's would make such a mistake. And if they did, I also doubt they would sell it to the public.

12ay7a

Reaction score
That sounds very sketchy. Never trust salesmen stories. The only SGs with Les Paul on the headstock should be Juniors (and those recent ones with the Sharpie scrawl), and I highly doubt such an advanced factory as Gibson's would make such a mistake. And if they did, I also doubt they would sell it to the public.
Not so. I've seen at least two SG-Standard-looking guitars with "Les Paul" on the truss rod cover. These are the real deal, you can tell by where they attached the neck (at the 22nd fret) it's an old one. My 2011 Special 60s tribute attaches at the 19th fret.

But some of them were sold as Les Pauls. Here's a photo...

sglespaul.jpg

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Not so. I've seen at least two SG-Standard-looking guitars with "Les Paul" on the truss rod cover. These are the real deal, you can tell by where they attached the neck (at the 22nd fret) it's an old one. My 2011 Special 60s tribute attaches at the 19th fret.

But some of them were sold as Les Pauls. Here's a photo...

View attachment 27149

That, I am aware of; my own SG has the same TRC. I assumed when he said "on the headstock", he meant "on the headstock", not "on the TRC". But who knows? He didn't give a very detailed description and he seems to have disappeared anyway...

Boy are the bevels on that gorgeous though... and the darker Cherry than the modern Heritage Cherry/Faded Cherry

12ay7a

Reaction score
The Who's cover of "Baby Don't You Do It" was on a '66 Standard, still sounded like Pete. 90 percent is the player.

Only song he used that guitar for, AFAIK. I have an SG (P90s) because of Pete.

Gibbo SG

Reaction score
That 1964 SG/Led Paul Standard pictured above is way cool, and the nicest I've seen of that model.

Deevid

Reaction score
i did some horse trading and wound up with this interesting piece. Can anyone tell me anything about it? You can make out Epiphone under the paint where the Gibson logo is. Is this a bad thing?
It's not a bad thing. I also owned one of these SGs (although silver paint finish) before it was stolen in the late 90's. It had Gibson logo over the top of Epiphone. My SG serial number was also from Oct 28th 1982!

Dan'l

Reaction score
I know this is a dead thread but I bought a 82 USA Epiphone SG II a couple of years ago from the 2nd owner. It was originally Ferrari red but finish was stripped off and left natural. I'm not sure if the body is alder? I'ts definitely not mahogany. Neck is 3pc maple. Nice C shape but not fat. The guy who sold it to me bought it from his cousin who bought it new. This is what the cousin said; “I bought the guitar new from music store in Va beach in 83. The salesman said it was discounted because of a finish flaw. Think I paid $325 but couldn’t afford the case. I was into metal at the time and swapped pickups from a Washburn? (I think) because they were hotter. No idea what happened to the originals. Tried to trade it in for a Kramer but guitar shop only offered $100 because they thought it was an Asian made Epiphone. You could see part of the Epiphone logo under the Gibson decal so I used black model car paint to cover it. When I sold it to your mom for you, I felt bad not telling her what the guitar shop told me.

Latest posts