Adding a Maestro Vibrola to a Standard SG

rabbit

Reaction score
I really love the look of an SG with one. Even thought about going the "Derek Trucks" route with the Faux Vibrola. Anyone done it? Do you regret it? How did you cover the old holes? Please post a photo of yours.

I wanted to do something to help balance out my special faded. The baseball bat neck with grovers does not help and it dove like crazy. I too liked the look of the vibrola plate but didn't want to modify the guitar and put additional holes in it, also didn't want to look too much like DT with the faux option, but really it's a totally different SG model/color/etc anyway so I don't think it really matters.

Eventually found a pitted broken ES-175 tail piece for cheap and simply used double-sided tape to add the aesthetic. It can always be removed, and was a fun idea to try a variation on the theme. Yes it's all for vanity yet serves no function for playability, and only slightly helps balance out the neck dive with the added belly weight.

I say do what you want, experiment and have fun making it your own.

IMG_3944sm.jpg

ECW

Reaction score
I bought my 64 Standard used in 1974. The previous owner had removed the Maestro and installed a Bigsby. It was not the right Bigsby for a flat top, and he routed the body to accommodate it. I didn't like the look and because of the mounting compromise, the Bigsby was nearly unusable. I had the rout patched and a current replacement Maestro installed. I think it looks better and the tone and sustain are better.

Here are before and after photos.

View attachment 44528

View attachment 44529
Hey, if you have a caliper... could measure the height of your bridge and saddle set? Hi E & Low E side. You can measure the body to the top of the bridge... then add the height of the top of the bridge to the top of each saddle... (if you can't get close enough to get the whole thing in 1 shot). I'm trying to determine which guitars I have that might be a good candidate for a Maestro... and this will help me. Not sure how to measure neck angle, though I've heard it needs to be more than 3 1/2 degrees. I think when the bridge is set up to have the action height you like, then a measurement of that should tell the whole story...that is the correct downward string tension on the Maestro & string break angle needed for a good functioning vibrola. Thanks!

TheKED

Reaction score
I really love the look of an SG with one. Even thought about going the "Derek Trucks" route with the Faux Vibrola. Anyone done it? Do you regret it? How did you cover the old holes? Please post a photo of yours.
200 Standard with factory Maestro, sounds and plays incredible

TheKED

Reaction score
2000 SG Standard with factory Maestro

Attachments

• GibsonSG2.jpg
    GibsonSG2.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 10

Bob L

Reaction score
Hey, if you have a caliper... could measure the height of your bridge and saddle set? Hi E & Low E side. You can measure the body to the top of the bridge... then add the height of the top of the bridge to the top of each saddle... (if you can't get close enough to get the whole thing in 1 shot). I'm trying to determine which guitars I have that might be a good candidate for a Maestro... and this will help me. Not sure how to measure neck angle, though I've heard it needs to be more than 3 1/2 degrees. I think when the bridge is set up to have the action height you like, then a measurement of that should tell the whole story...that is the correct downward string tension on the Maestro & string break angle needed for a good functioning vibrola. Thanks!

Hi ECW. Sorry for not responding sooner. I'll get back to you with a few measurements shortly.

Whiskeycity

Reaction score
I had a Maestro installed on my 2005 standard. Stays in tune and sounds great. I replaced the Nasbille bridge with an ABR-1. That said, I have a really good luthier that sets up my guitars. 2005 SG Standard Classic White.jpg

Latest posts