Alnico Classic Pro or Probucker?

Zest1953

Reaction score
What about putting Alnico Pro in the bridge and Probucker for the neck?

Zest1953

Reaction score
I like Vanson pickups as well. I think they are probably made by Artec as a premium pickup. Anyway, sold in UK

DrBGood

Reaction score
Dr BGood, I notice you do reverse wound on your tailpiece on the sg400. I would like to try that. The guitar looks great! What pickups do you use?
Thanks.

I was lucky and stumbled on a set of Probuckers a friend had just taken out of his bran new Epiphone. I didn't tell him he shouldn't replace them :rofl:

Not that the Alnico Classics weren't good. I kept them, they might eventually go back in just for "why not ? ".

Aj Richetti

Reaction score
Hi

First post in this forum, and apologies as I'm going to ask a question that I know has been asked before, but perhaps there is some newer experience to share in this?

I have one of the Korean 'Vintage' model G400's from 2005 (photos in the 'Welcome Wagon' forum https://www.everythingsg.com/threads/hi.37671/ ) and am wondering about replacing the 'Alnico Classic' pickups that it came with

I'm thinking about going with one of the Epiphone pickups as they seem cheap second-hand, readily available, and a known-quantity - ie. the Alnico Classic Pro and the Probucker 2 & 3

I see that the later G400 Pro models came loaded with the Alnico Classic Pro pickups and that these have been continued through to most of the current models, but that a few of the more vintage-style models come with the Probucker 2 & 3 pickups. I can't help thinking Epiphone had a reason for using the Classic Pro in their SG guitars for so many years when they could have fitted the Probucker if they wanted as they did in the contemporary Les Paul models, but product decisions don't always make sense :rolleyes:

Which do you think would work better in my guitar?

Alternatively I saw somebody saying that the Classic Pro pickup is identical to the Gibson Classic 57 except for using Alnico 5 magnets instead of Alnico 2, and so changing the magnets in the Alnico Classic Pro to Alnico 2 would give a Gibson Classic 57 near-as... would this be a better way forward?

Thanks!
Both are highly acclaimed pickups

Latest posts