any SG modern owners?

zebra

Reaction score
Hey all, so a few years ago I picked up a 61 SG and it has taken the number one spot among my guitars. Since I like it so much I’m looking to add a second. I’m trying to decide between a standard, another 61 reissue or a modern.
If any modern SG owners could chime in, Im curious how you like the necks, and how you like the tone with the maple cap (does it still sound like SG).

3bolt79

Reaction score
I can only comment on the Epiphone version I have. It has the same woods and maple cap. But, in addition to split coils it also has phase reversal, which the Gibson doesn’t have. The neck is asymmetrical like the Gibson.

As I bought it to play in bars, and it was 1/4 the price of the Gibson, I went with it instead. It needed a level and crown, whereas the Gibson is Plek’d. But I did that myself. Oh, and I had to buy a case for $120 dollars.

I love the Gibson blue burst though, and I still may get a Gibson version. Better pups (marginally). And better bridge, electronics and hardware. Same Grover lockers on both. But some have complained that they are coming (the Gibson) with non-locking Grover’s now. So check with the dealer before ordering.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Oh, and yes it still sounds like a Gibson, the Epi pickups sound great, and it still sounds like an SG.

zebra

Reaction score
Right on, thanks for the reply. I hope they are still coming with locking tuners on the new ones. No one near me stocks them (or the epiphones) so it’s tough to get a feel for them.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The Gibson site says Grover Mini Rotomatics.

MR D

Reaction score
The Gibson site says Grover Mini Rotomatics.

Correct again, D.D......as for my $$$$: GROVER Mini-Rotomatics are the single best Non-Locking Tuning Machines I have ever had on any of the GIBSON's I've owned.....a 2018 EXPLORER & 2018 Firebird Standard are the two guitars I currently own that have GROVER Mini's and the tuning of both guitars in ROCK Solid....I usually swap out all Non-Locking TM's on all of the GIBSON Solid Body Electrics I own....BUT w/GROVER Mini's there is no need to do so.....would be an unjustifiable waste of $$$$.

I thought about starting a thread about what are the best Tuning Machines that players here @ ETSG have/had on their SG's, yes?...and GROVER MINI's would have been my selection.....although they aren't on a whole lot of SG's I've owned (None to be exact) they still get my vote for best Non-Locking Tuning Machines...HANDS DOWN ! Not even close actually.

zebra

Reaction score
as for my $$$$: GROVER Mini-Rotomatics are the single best Non-Locking Tuning Machines I have ever had on any of the GIBSON's I've owned.
Maybe the lack of locking ones isn’t so bad after all.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Hey all, so a few years ago I picked up a 61 SG and it has taken the number one spot among my guitars. Since I like it so much I’m looking to add a second. I’m trying to decide between a standard, another 61 reissue or a modern.
If any modern SG owners could chime in, Im curious how you like the necks, and how you like the tone with the maple cap (does it still sound like SG).
How picky are you for neck specs?

Like you my first SG was/is a 2001 61 reissue and like you it went straight to the top of my all time favorites list.

I've since added 3 other SGs but also auditioned 5 or 6 others I didn't keep. The problem is I like the neck on my 61 so much that none of the others compared. So many list a "Slim Taper" profile but I guess there's a fairly large tolerance as to what counts.

If you're like me then you'll need to try in person vs trusting a write up.

Here are 3 of 4 Current SGs (can't get a pic of the fourth to load).
IMG_20211227_160042216~2.jpg
2001 61 RI, 2012 61 RI, 2017 SG Custom.
I guess this pic also doubles as my order for best to least best (left to right).

Unseen member is a 2019 SG Special.

Last edited:

zebra

Reaction score

Like you my first SG was/is a 2001 61 reissue and like you it went straight to the top of my all time favorites list.

I've since added 3 other SGs but also auditioned 5 or 6 others I didn't keep. The problem is I like the neck on my 61 so much that none of the others compared. So many list a "Slim Taper" profile but I guess there's a fairly large tolerance as to what counts.

View attachment 48201
I guess this pic also doubles as my order for best to least best (left to right).

Nice collection! As for necks, I can get along with most, the only ones I don’t like are extremely thin ones. Most of the Gibson slim tapers I’ve tried have just enough heft in them. I could even get along with a 50s style.
I wish the stores around me carried more of gibsons line, there is a couple guitar centers but they only typically carry a les paul or two and once in a while will have an sg standard.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Nice collection! As for necks, I can get along with most, the only ones I don’t like are extremely thin ones. Most of the Gibson slim tapers I’ve tried have just enough heft in them. I could even get along with a 50s style.
I wish the stores around me carried more of gibsons line, there is a couple guitar centers but they only typically carry a les paul or two and once in a while will have an sg standard.
Lol. If you like the 61 neck you won't find too many SGs with a thinner neck (thin/wide vs thin/narrow). I struggle with narrow necks.

I guess you'll probably do well with the Modern. I haven't played one as I also live in an area where there isn't a lot of in person options but I find it unlikely it has a thinner neck.

Last edited:

3bolt79

Reaction score
Lol. If you like the 61 neck you won't find too many SGs with a thinner neck (thin/wide vs thin/narrow). I struggle with narrow necks.

I guess you'll probably do well with the Modern. I haven't played one as I also live in an area where there isn't a lot of in person options but I find it unlikely it has a thinner neck.
I will order another EPI Modern. Has all the features I want, except maybe the bridge. I like the Gibson TOM the best. The Epi Modern has the same tuning machines as my 2016 LP standard. They make for quick string changes.

The EPI Modern that I have was really good. So, I ordered a second one. It came with a weird bend in the neck. I couldn’t try before, so I just sent the second one back. Make sure you order from a place with a good return policy. I got mine at Zzounds.

Black and Honey Burst are the only two other finish options available. I already have the red one.

Attachments

• D49CD350-57BF-4D9B-8C14-16AF10232A4C.jpeg
    D49CD350-57BF-4D9B-8C14-16AF10232A4C.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 8

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Jeez I hate that the photo’s come out sideways.
I'm fairly new to this site and frequently run into issues with it not accepting photos that other sites have no issues with.

I consider sideways to be better. Lol.

Actually the one SG I have that I didn't include a pic of today this site has already accepted others times but not today.

MR D

Reaction score
Maybe the lack of locking ones isn’t so bad after all.
On the SG MODERN, it is not a big dealio. GIBSON USA knows what its doing, on every model....calculatred move after calculated move.You already PAID enough for that guitar, IMHO..... If you know how to restring a guitar correctly, those GROVER Mini-Rotomatics make Locking Tuning Machines un-necessary...Just use the Self-Locking Method of restringing the guitar, and you will not miss the Locking TM's.....BUT, if you do go the Locking Tuning Machine route.....Arguably, Kluson 'REVOLUTIONS' are the best option, IMO.......I hear Sperzel makes a good one too !

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score

View attachment 48201

JOLIE TRIPLETTE !
I ' d like having the ebony SG Custom, sexy guitar :smile:

The 2018 HP is a great SG and the humbuckers without rings give a cool design.

Temp 48004.JPG

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score

View attachment 48201

WOW, the least best of the 3 would be the 2017 SG CUSTOM ? WOW, BIG BIG surprise there...BUT, IIRC, the '17 SG CUSTOM has the 490 series pickups, yes? Instead of CUSTOM-BUCKERS, right ? I've wanted an SG CUSTOM for long long time...after the Black Beauty Les Paul CUSTOM I waited 7 years for GIBSON CUSTOM Shop to build (one w/my pref'd specs) the SG CUSTOM is THEE GUITAR I am after.......but it has to have what I want on it b4 I plunk down $5 Grand to get one, u kno? FFS, $5 Grand is a lot iof $$$ to plunk down on ONE Guitar, FFS !!! My Preferred specs? Ebony Fret-Board, MOP In-Lays all round, CUSTOM-BUCKER Pickup's are mandatory, Rolled Binding, Nashville T-O-M not ABR-1....... and a few other things)...to repeat myself...Imma kinda shocked that the SG CUSTOM is 'Least Best' of the 3 pictured Guitars...IF I had to guess which is 'THE ONE', I'd say the CUSTOM every time.....I find it VERY interesting that its not...so, why is that ?I am sure they are all GREAT playing/sounding Guitars so, if you dont mind my asking: what is it about the '01 RI or '12 RI that makes the 2017 SG CUSTOM come in 3rd?

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
WOW, the least best of the 3 would be the 2017 SG CUSTOM ? WOW, BIG BIG surprise there...BUT, IIRC, the '17 SG CUSTOM has the 490 series pickups, yes? Instead of CUSTOM-BUCKERS, right ? I've wanted an SG CUSTOM for long long time...after the Black Beauty Les Paul CUSTOM I waited 7 years for GIBSON CUSTOM Shop to build (one w/my pref'd specs) the SG CUSTOM is THEE GUITAR I am after.......but it has to have what I want on it b4 I plunk down $5 Grand to get one, u kno? FFS, $5 Grand is a lot iof $$$ to plunk down on ONE Guitar, FFS !!! My Preferred specs? Ebony Fret-Board, MOP In-Lays all round, CUSTOM-BUCKER Pickup's are mandatory, Rolled Binding, Nashville T-O-M not ABR-1....... and a few other things)...to repeat myself...Imma kinda shocked that the SG CUSTOM is 'Least Best' of the 3 pictured Guitars...IF I had to guess which is 'THE ONE', I'd say the CUSTOM every time.....I find it VERY interesting that its not...so, why is that ?I am sure they are all GREAT playing/sounding Guitars so, if you dont mind my asking: what is it about the '01 RI or '12 RI that makes the 2017 SG CUSTOM come in 3rd?
The only thing that makes the Custom come in third is having played a 61 reissue first. Lol.

I just love the neck on that Red 61 RI so much that no other SG can win. Even the Black 61 RI should tie for first but it doesn't.

IMO the 490 pickups are the weak link in this Custom. For months I've been trying to decide whether to swap the pickups or just sell it. It is certainly the prettiest SG I've owned and the neck is nothing to complain about.