any SG modern owners?

MR D

Reaction score
The only thing that makes the Custom come in third is having played a 61 reissue first. Lol.

I just love the neck on that Red 61 RI so much that no other SG can win. Even the Black 61 RI should tie for first but it doesn't.

IMO the 490 pickups are the weak link in this Custom. For months I've been trying to decide whether to swap the pickups or just sell it. It is certainly the prettiest SG I've owned and the neck is nothing to complain about.
Yeah Bro, what does GIBSON call the neck profile on the RED '61 Re-Issue ? the ONLY reason I dont have one of the SG CUSTOM's yet is the fact that for my $5,000.00 I would be getting 490 Pickup's, GIBSON's CHEAPEST Pickup's....and I just cant be havin that !! I actually cant believe GIBSON would put the 490's in a CUSTOM shop guitar...it just wreeks of CHEEEP !

You are exactly where I would be if I had bought the 2017 SG CUSTOM, to change the pickup's or sell it...so I figure if I want to plunk $5K down on any guitar....it cant have pickup's in it that I do not want (490 series Pickups being the only GIBSON pickup's I do not appreciate !)...AND YOU ARE CORRECT, that SG CUSTOM IS THE BADDEST looking SG to come along in many a day ! if it had anything but the 490's in it, I'd have bought one long ago.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Yeah Bro, what does GIBSON call the neck profile on the RED '61 Re-Issue ? the ONLY reason I dont have one of the SG CUSTOM's yet is the fact that for my $5,000.00 I would be getting 490 Pickup's, GIBSON's CHEAPEST Pickup's....and I just cant be havin that !! I actually cant believe GIBSON would put the 490's in a CUSTOM shop guitar...it just wreeks of CHEEEP !

You are exactly where I would be if I had bought the 2017 SG CUSTOM, to change the pickup's or sell it...so I figure if I want to plunk $5K down on any guitar....it cant have pickup's in it that I do not want (490 series Pickups being the only GIBSON pickup's I do not appreciate !)...AND YOU ARE CORRECT, that SG CUSTOM IS THE BADDEST looking SG to come along in many a day ! if it had anything but the 490's in it, I'd have bought one long ago.

Here are the 61 specs. Pickup costs aside the 57 Classic is a much better/more versatile pickup IMO. 490s are ok for some stuff I guess but nothing I play. The set in this SG Custom are very microphonic. To the point of being useless in a live/loud setting of you play with any gain.

Last edited:

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I cut back my SG collection to one. The ONE.

Were I ever to stray and add a second SG it would be a modern.

In a world where geetarists frown on design advancement, that sumbich is the pinnacle peak of geetar design.

I’d get the blue one…

7BBF9157-89B0-464B-8DDD-2AB910231234.jpeg

3bolt79

Reaction score

I don’t really like the 490 T bridge pup. But my fave Gibson pup set for an LP or SG is 490R and 498T. And I mainly stick to the bridge pup.

My wife bought me a new SG Standard for my birthday back in April. 490R and 490T. The last time I had an SG standard, it had a 498 T in the bridge. It was a 2013 if I recall correctly.

So why don’t I just replace the pup? Because it is a gift from my wife, and she is really proud of herself for picking out the guitar, color and whatnot, so I would like to keep it all original. Besides, she will totally buy me another guitar come December for Santa Day or my birthday next April, and I can get an SG Custom with my fave pups then. Or get a Modern.

MR D

Reaction score
I don’t really like the 490 T bridge pup. But my fave Gibson pup set for an LP or SG is 490R and 498T. And I mainly stick to the bridge pup.

My wife bought me a new SG Standard for my birthday back in April. 490R and 490T. The last time I had an SG standard, it had a 498 T in the bridge. It was a 2013 if I recall correctly.

So why don’t I just replace the pup? Because it is a gift from my wife, and she is really proud of herself for picking out the guitar, color and whatnot, so I would like to keep it all original. Besides, she will totally buy me another guitar come December for Santa Day or my birthday next April, and I can get an SG Custom with my fave pups then. Or get a Modern.
The MODERN SG has Burst-Bucker Pro's, IIRC ? BIG IF, but those BB Pro pickup's RULE !

BTW, does Wifey have an available twin sister ? You got a winner there Bro, any wife that buys her husband an SG Standard is a gift from on high !

3bolt79

Reaction score
The MODERN SG has Burst-Bucker Pro's, IIRC ? BIG IF, but those BB Pro pickup's RULE !

BTW, does Wifey have an available twin sister ? You got a winner there Bro, any wife that buys her husband an SG Standard is a gift from on high !
Wifey has 3 sister’s, and they are all married to douche bags Lol.

MR D

Reaction score
Wifey has 3 sister’s, and they are all married to douche bags Lol.
Bwah ha ha !!! Well, that figures, just my luck !!! Congrats on the new Guitar, IYDMMS, your Wife belongs in the Wifey 'Hall of Fame' for buying you an SG Standard.....I just could never get that lucky...I mean, Dang, that is just fuckin ROCKIN Bro !

pancake81

Reaction score
How picky are you for neck specs?

Like you my first SG was/is a 2001 61 reissue and like you it went straight to the top of my all time favorites list.

I've since added 3 other SGs but also auditioned 5 or 6 others I didn't keep. The problem is I like the neck on my 61 so much that none of the others compared. So many list a "Slim Taper" profile but I guess there's a fairly large tolerance as to what counts.

If you're like me then you'll need to try in person vs trusting a write up.

Here are 3 of 4 Current SGs (can't get a pic of the fourth to load).
View attachment 48201
2001 61 RI, 2012 61 RI, 2017 SG Custom.
I guess this pic also doubles as my order for best to least best (left to right).

Unseen member is a 2019 SG Special.

I like you have a small collection of nice SG’s, I couldn’t agree more, my 2001 61 RI is my favourite. It cuts the mustard even compared to the custom and custom shops.

The 61 RI was my first real guitar, bought new in 2002. I had to order it site unseen from a local ma/pa shop. Back when you looked in the catalogue and said, “I want a 61 RI”, they ordered it and it showed up a few weeks later.

I remember liking it. The neck felt wide and thin, which I had not felt on an SG before. Not like that at least. The whole package was perfect.

It was only over time, buying and selling and playing 100’s of Gibson’s that I realized just how amazing that guitar is. Definitely a never sell guitar.

MR D

Reaction score
I like you have a small collection of nice SG’s, I couldn’t agree more, my 2001 61 RI is my favourite. It cuts the mustard even compared to the custom and custom shops.

The 61 RI was my first real guitar, bought new in 2002. I had to order it site unseen from a local ma/pa shop. Back when you looked in the catalogue and said, “I want a 61 RI”, they ordered it and it showed up a few weeks later.

I remember liking it. The neck felt wide and thin, which I had not felt on an SG before. Not like that at least. The whole package was perfect.

It was only over time, buying and selling and playing 100’s of Gibson’s that I realized just how amazing that guitar is. Definitely a never sell guitar.

You have posted pics of that AC/DC signed guitar on other forums, yes? I have seen that guitar elsewhere...I am s-s-s-sure of it.......please dont tell me 'NO, I haven't..." as my self-esteem has always been in the toilet and I hate being wrong (NO, not really ) ! BWAH HA AHA !!!!

Juan Tumani

Reaction score

As a long time guitar addict I've gone through over 300 guitars. My 2001 61 RI is the first guitar I ever owned that felt like the neck was carved for my hands only.

I bought it used in 2010 or 2011 and it's been my baby ever since. It's one of very few guitars I feel I will never ever tire of and or part with.

I used some inheritance money to buy the SG Custom because I wanted to put it towards a (keepsake) guitar. Something I could never afford/justify on my own paycheck. Visually, it checks all the boxes for me but when I play it I can't help but compare it to my 61 and the playing experience is just "Meh".

I've since been able to use a little more inheritance money to buy this.
IMG_20220413_130409843~2.jpg
A 1988 Les Paul Custom Lite.

It has my second favorite Gibson neck of all time and checks my visual boxes as well.

The SG Custom just sleeps under the bed until I decide to modify it or sell it. Even though neither guitar came from my paycheck it's pretty hard to justify having both just because they're pretty.

pancake81

Reaction score
You have posted pics of that AC/DC signed guitar on other forums, yes? I have seen that guitar elsewhere...I am s-s-s-sure of it.......please dont tell me 'NO, I haven't..." as my self-esteem has always been in the toilet and I hate being wrong (NO, not really ) ! BWAH HA AHA !!!!
100% correct Mr D, I have posted these guitars many times, although almost exclusively on this site.

I haven’t bought much new in a few years, so I feel like I am posting the same old ones.

MR D

Reaction score
100% correct Mr D, I have posted these guitars many times, although almost exclusively on this site.

I haven’t bought much new in a few years, so I feel like I am posting the same old ones.
WHEW !!! I knew I'd seen 'em b4...and they are FUCKIN ROCKIN' ! If you are playing the '61 RI how do you manage to not scratch off the signatures ? IDK if I could bring myself to even play a guitar signed by 'ANGUS' himself for fear of wiping off the Signature, u kno? I guess you could cover the sigs with something ? IDK.....but they're some Bitchin SG's Bro....

Currently, after selling a couple, Immma pretty sure I've narrowed the collection down to three SG's: a 2017 Standard w/'57's Stock, a 2020 SG Standard w/'61R Neck and '57 Classic in the bridge and a 2019 SG Maestro 'Original/Standard' w/'57 Neck and '61T Bridge Pickups....and all three are just frikkin BAD-A$$ !!! IDK why GIBSON USA decided to put the 490's in the 2020 SG Standard (CHEEEP BASTARDS !) but I got them outta there before I even played that BAD-A$$......LOL, I stuck the 490's in a 2015 SG Special (took the un-covered '61 R&T's out of it b4 I sold it, and covered them!) that had the Chicken Scratch 'Les Paul 100' logo on the headstock (I swear I couldnt look at that guitar) and got rid of it...BUT, it was a BAD-A$$ li'l SG Special, had the 'Zero-Fret' adjustable NUT on it w/G-Farce Tuning System w/extra wide Fret-Board....I just never bonded with it, which was/is a surprise to me as prior to that SG Special I had never met a GIBSON SG b4 that I did not like/love ! I guess it was the 'Red-Headed Step Child' Syndrome in me.... comin out !

BWAHH HA AHA HA !

3bolt79

Reaction score
Bwah ha ha !!! Well, that figures, just my luck !!! Congrats on the new Guitar, IYDMMS, your Wife belongs in the Wifey 'Hall of Fame' for buying you an SG Standard.....I just could never get that lucky...I mean, Dang, that is just fuckin ROCKIN Bro !
Yeah, I hit the Jackpot. When I was a working Therapist I would buy her jewelry on occasion. Most of the jewelry (the real jewelry she has) I bought her.

Our anniversary was on the first of the month. I got her a string of pearls. I don’t get the chance to do that very often. The best part is she is happy and thankful. And so am I.

The guitar was birthday and anniversary gift, which I totally understand, as it was expensive.

MR D

Reaction score
As a long time guitar addict I've gone through over 300 guitars. My 2001 61 RI is the first guitar I ever owned that felt like the neck was carved for my hands only.

I bought it used in 2010 or 2011 and it's been my baby ever since. It's one of very few guitars I feel I will never ever tire of and or part with.

I used some inheritance money to buy the SG Custom because I wanted to put it towards a (keepsake) guitar. Something I could never afford/justify on my own paycheck. Visually, it checks all the boxes for me but when I play it I can't help but compare it to my 61 and the playing experience is just "Meh".

View attachment 48268

It has my second favorite Gibson neck of all time and checks my visual boxes as well.

The SG Custom just sleeps under the bed until I decide to modify it or sell it. Even though neither guitar came from my paycheck it's pretty hard to justify having both just because they're pretty.
WOWO !!! Total BAD-A$$-ERY there, WOWO !!!
I was going to buy the '68 Reissue Les Paul...but then ZZZounds dot com/GIBSON CUSTOM Shop issued an 'EXCLUSIVE' 2019 LES PAUL CUSTOM that has the same exact specs as the '68 RI..only difference being 9 hole weight relief .(I named it 'REX' , coz the chunky 'C' Neck and Ebony Fret-Board are just wrecking my hand & fingers....OUCH !.)...'REX' still weighs in at 9 Lbs. 6 Ozs. and w/uncovered CUSTOM-BUCKERS it is a '68 RI , it also has the 'Black-Book' AUTHETICATOR from the CUSTOM Shop so its definitely the shizzle...and I got it for a shade under $4,000.00 NEW...... instead of plunkin down an absurd $6,300.00 ALL-IN for the '68 RI ......

..........AFAIC, you got the 'Holy Grail' of Les Paul's there Bro, WOWO, imma jelly !!! IMO, the best Lester to be issued by GIBSON is NOT the famed 1959 Les Paul Standard's but the 1968 Les Paul CUSTOM....as it was after the discontinuation of the model in 1960 (?) and because it represents the re-emergence of the GIBSON Les Paul as THEE 'Top of the Food-Chain' Guitar...GIBSON made sure they nailed it that year...and GIBSON surely did......The Les Paul CUSTOM being the best of the best every year....it is THEE Rock N Roll Guitar, along w/the SG (this is ETSG afterall, u kno ?)......NICE ONE ! let me see if I can find a picture....

Of course I can't get it to post here, FFS !

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Yeah, I hit the Jackpot. When I was a working Therapist I would buy her jewelry on occasion. Most of the jewelry (the real jewelry she has) I bought her.

Our anniversary was on the first of the month. I got her a string of pearls. I don’t get the chance to do that very often. The best part is she is happy and thankful. And so am I.

The guitar was birthday and anniversary gift, which I totally understand, as it was expensive.
CONGRATULATIONS , once again ! You seem to have mastered something I have not....But BUt BUT....I have become pretty damn good at getting DIVORCED !....LMAO !!

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score

View attachment 48268

I tried to post a picture of 'REX', even used a JPEG 'Opitimizer' app..but...not today..'REX' is a BAD-A$$, Ebony Fret-Board..DC Diamond Headstock In-Lays..OOH BABY !...the one I got has a White Neck/Headstock Binding and the DC Diamond Inlays in the Headstock are WHITE too.. IDK 4 sure BUT aren't those usually supposed to be GOLD ? IDK maybe 'REX' is a bit of a Weirdo....but thats OK.... it is a Les Paul CUSTOM and getting it new from the CUSTOM Shop for under $4K, 'Black Book' and all.....I won't complain. I waited 7 years for GIBSON to make a Lester CUSTOM with an Ebony Fret-Board and CUSTOM-BUCKERS instead of the Bolivian Rosewood Board and the dang 490's....and when I saw it on zzzounds dot com, AWRIGHT FINALLY ! So, now there is only one guitar left to get...the SG CUSTOM, but again, I have to wait until GIBSON makes one with Ebony Board and CUSTOM-BUCKERS....might be another long wait...

The picture of 'REX ' just will not load into this website, I tried everything I could think of too, **** ME ! I C players posting pics here all the time too, FFS , IDK WTF I am not doing right, but its not lack of an effort.....

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score

View attachment 48268

OK, one last try to get 'REX' uploaded, here, WOW DID THAT GO UP ? Bout time !