any SG modern owners?

3bolt79

Reaction score
I tried to post a picture of 'REX', even used a JPEG 'Opitimizer' app..but...not today..'REX' is a BAD-A$$, Ebony Fret-Board..DC Diamond Headstock In-Lays..OOH BABY !...the one I got has a White Neck/Headstock Binding and the DC Diamond Inlays in the Headstock are WHITE too.. IDK 4 sure BUT aren't those usually supposed to be GOLD ? IDK maybe 'REX' is a bit of a Weirdo....but thats OK.... it is a Les Paul CUSTOM and getting it new from the CUSTOM Shop for under $4K, 'Black Book' and all.....I won't complain. I waited 7 years for GIBSON to make a Lester CUSTOM with an Ebony Fret-Board and CUSTOM-BUCKERS instead of the Bolivian Rosewood Board and the dang 490's....and when I saw it on zzzounds dot com, AWRIGHT FINALLY ! So, now there is only one guitar left to get...the SG CUSTOM, but again, I have to wait until GIBSON makes one with Ebony Board and CUSTOM-BUCKERS....might be another long wait...

The picture of 'REX ' just will not load into this website, I tried everything I could think of too, **** ME ! I C players posting pics here all the time too, FFS , IDK WTF I am not doing right, but its not lack of an effort.....
Ebony Yeah! Screw Richlite. I may get the Bolivian Rosewood and my fav pups are the 498T and 490R. Always loved that combo. And less than 4K, so that is appealing. But if I could get an early 70/69 or so LP custom with the Flamed top and all the trimmings that would be awesome as well.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Question: At what age do I go from being a modern owner to a vintage owner?
It's on a sliding scale based on several tests to blend not only actual age factors, maturity level, overall life experience and how many suits you own.

Fortunately for me I don't have to take any of those tests. I still have Toys R Us receipts saved from childhood so I don't have to grow up.

MR D

Reaction score
Ebony Yeah! Screw Richlite. I may get the Bolivian Rosewood and my fav pups are the 498T and 490R. Always loved that combo. And less than 4K, so that is appealing. But if I could get an early 70/69 or so LP custom with the Flamed top and all the trimmings that would be awesome as well.
THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME MR BOLT !...and Oh yes, now I remember...back in 2012 the Lester CUSTOM's started coming out of the factory with RICHLITE Fretboards...this was at the exact time when I finally could afford to buy a few guitars after owning a grand total of 4 GIBSON's over the course of my entire Adult life up to that time...Each GIBSON I had owned I was EXTREMELY lucky to get...AND I ACTUALLY FELT FORTUNATE TO HAVE THEM....and then, I finally have a few $$$ to spend, and GIBSON USA starts with the synthetic Woods and their cheeeepest pickups, 490 series, in their 'Top-of-the-line' guitars.......I JUST could NOT accept that....FUCKIN 'RICHLITE' ? I did not even know WTF 'RICHLITE' (I still don't !) was but for my $$$$????? I JUST KNEW I wasn't buyin it....for me it was Ebony Fret-Board, MOP INLAYS on Headstock & Fret-board and CUSTOMBUCKERS....or I was NOT buyin it ! A STANDARD was good enough for me !...SO I WAITED, WAITED and fuckin WAITED....and FINALLY in June 2019, 7 years later.....I got the 'EXCLUSIVE' for $3850 ALL-IN that has the exact same specs as the '68 Re-Issue save the 9 hole weight relief and pickup covers....I am glad I am a stubborn/PRINCIPLED Mu-fugga...coz I waited...I just could NOT spend $4 Grand on fake wood., it was beyond any rational decision I could make........
AND I STILL CANT POST A PICTURE OF 'REX.....' the CUSTOM BAD-A$$$ Finger/Hand Destroyer I WAITED MY ENTIRE LIFE FOR....Funny though, It actually hurts to play the fuckin guitar too , as if waiting those last 7 long years wasn't enough, LOL !

MR D

Reaction score
oops, double [ost !

KEEP ROCKIN !!!

Last edited:

OzzyZigg

Reaction score
This thread is giving me great comfort since I just bought a 2001 SG 61 RI ha ha. Only had it a few days, but impressing me so far!

3bolt79

Reaction score
I like you have a small collection of nice SG’s, I couldn’t agree more, my 2001 61 RI is my favourite. It cuts the mustard even compared to the custom and custom shops.

The 61 RI was my first real guitar, bought new in 2002. I had to order it site unseen from a local ma/pa shop. Back when you looked in the catalogue and said, “I want a 61 RI”, they ordered it and it showed up a few weeks later.

I remember liking it. The neck felt wide and thin, which I had not felt on an SG before. Not like that at least. The whole package was perfect.

It was only over time, buying and selling and playing 100’s of Gibson’s that I realized just how amazing that guitar is. Definitely a never sell guitar.

Wow, and autographed to boot. A nice inheritance for your future generations. In 20 years it could possibly pay for college for a grand kid.

Latest posts