Anyone tried the GFS soapbar high output p90s?

Kirk Dahnke

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Super Distortion P90 sound. Never see the Dimarzios come up used.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The GFS is alnico V and the DiMarzio is ceramic. I would expect the DiMarzio to sound brighter.

Norton

Reaction score
their high output mini hb's are surprisingly good. kind of exactly what you'd expect from a very good but not very spendy pickup.

their pickups are pretty decent.

Maguchi

Reaction score
The GFS is alnico V and the DiMarzio is ceramic. I would expect the DiMarzio to sound brighter.

their high output mini hb's are surprisingly good. kind of exactly what you'd expect from a very good but not very spendy pickup.

their pickups are pretty decent.
Haven't tried any other P90s other than the stock Gibson ones and those sound very good, but an increase in gain increases noise for silent sections.

I read the posts about GFS pickups with interest. I agree, GFS makes some good sounding pickups for not much money. I'm very happy with some GFS Alnico V Hot Humbucker pickups that I got for a couple of LP Jr. single pickup clone guitars for only $35 each. If their P90 pickups are priced similarly, I'd say it's worth a try.

papagayo

Reaction score
P90 ou Super Distorsion ?? Tose 2 pickpus are really different .

Kirk Dahnke

Reaction score
Haven't tried any other P90s other than the stock Gibson ones and those sound very good, but an increase in gain increases noise for silent sections.

I read the posts about GFS pickups with interest. I agree, GFS makes some good sounding pickups for not much money. I'm very happy with some GFS Alnico V Hot Humbucker pickups that I got for a couple of LP Jr. single pickup clone guitars for only $35 each. If their P90 pickups are priced similarly, I'd say it's worth a try.

Agreed on the advertised price but then they throw tax and a pretty high shipping amount for a pickup. So their pickups become less of a good deal. You can usually find a higher quality used pickup for maybe $20 more including shipping. Some of those no name cheap pickups on eBay sound pretty good too. I would imagine they're made in the same factory for half the price of a GFS. Plus GFS are known to be kinda shady. Like just putting a Strat pickup in a "Gold Foil" casing.

Maguchi

Reaction score
Agreed on the advertised price but then they throw tax and a pretty high shipping amount for a pickup. So their pickups become less of a good deal. You can usually find a higher quality used pickup for maybe $20 more including shipping. Some of those no name cheap pickups on eBay sound pretty good too. I would imagine they're made in the same factory for half the price of a GFS. Plus GFS are known to be kinda shady. Like just putting a Strat pickup in a "Gold Foil" casing.
Not my experience at all. There was no tax, probly because I did not live in the same state as the GFS main office. There was shipping and it was higher than usual, but it was OK. I have bought bridge saddles, pickups and bridges from GFS over the last couple years and was very satisfied with the products and the quality of service. Not affiliated. Used pickups are more of a gamble than new.

Last edited:

Latest posts