Archive - Tone Pros AVR-II and Stop

CharlieB

Reaction score
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lagger
Vintage Vintage SG Member
Username: Lagger

Post Number: 88

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Again I am cross posting from my review elsewhere (I am a lazy guy) I got this setup from www.wdmusicproducts.com and they also make custom pickguards and coverplates should you need one... on to my review ( made my own set as I got it in my head that the 63 style alum stop should give better sustain)

Price Paid: US $100 (T1ZSA-N) 65 (AVR-II)-Before coupon
Purchased from: N/A
www.wdmusicproducts.com

Features: 10
Not sure which place to review this but here it is as there are other reviews on these products here in the guitar section

I purchased 2 seperate pieces to make a custom set .. the aluminum LP\SG\335 style vintage tailstop T1ZSA-N and an AVR-II-N replacement bridge. The tail stop has the usual allen key set screws as does the bridge and is marked "Gotoh" underneath, the bridge is marked "Tone-Pros" underneath.

These units are both very well made and the bridge has the addition of internal lockwashers on the saddle screws to keep them put no matter what.. I learned this unfortunately the hard way .. I needed to reverse the 3rd string saddle to be able to get enough travel to set the intonation properly and bent \ broke the little lock-washer doing so. (still works ok though)

Both of the pieces I purchased have a nickle finish to match the oem hardware on my 2001 Gibson SG 61 reissue

Sound: 10
I can absolutely hear a difference due soley to this setup.. sustain is much improved and natural harmonics seem to leap from the strings which suits my style of playing to a tee... an added benefit I am beginning to notice is that I now am using a lighter touch on the fretting and get more expessive tones from bends and fingered trem effects as well as hammer-ons and fingertaps.. Only down side is having to unscrew the set screws to reset the action height during initial install and setup but once adjusted to perfection it is never needed again unless you change string gauge. Due to the locking nature of the saddles and the bridge one of the main features is that once you have set your intonation it stays set !! (changing guitar string gauges etc requires a re-setup of this of course)

Action, Fit, & Finish: 10
Extremely well made and solid as a rock.. the aluminum tailstop is ounces lighter than the Gibson one ( I wrote to Gibbo and they told me oem pieces are made from "Pot" metal .. The bridge is a work of art in fit and finish as well as the thick plating on it

Reliability/Durability: 10
No reason not to think these units will not stand the test of time

Customer Support: 10
This is where they really get my vote .. I wrote many and extensive emails to CS at wdmusicproducts.com the authorized distributor for tone pros they always answered promptly. When my bridge arrived and I realized I had not accounted for the fact that the saddles were un-notched they had me ship it back, notched the saddles for me to my specifications and returned them to me all within about 5 business days and for free.. they also gave me a coupon prior to the purchase for a % off of the price presumably because I had asked so many questions etc during my research (they promised me a t-shirt too but it hasn't arrived yet) I have evey confidence that should the need arise for service in the future or if I need to get info for a future purpose that they would again serve me as well

Overall Rating: N/A
Played for 13 years,stopped for the most part in '81 returned to playing last year (2003)
Would definately replace or even purchase again for a different guitar
I love the tonal enhancement and increased sustain.. the fact that I can intonate once and leave it alone is worth the price of the bridge by itself... The light mass of the tailstop adds to the sustain imo and is far superior to ordinary "Pot" metal

Submitted by Michael Ellicott at 02/05/2004 12:04

Scumbag
Junior SG Junior Member
Username: Scumbag

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 09:39 am: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Cool info Lagger. I had ordered all this stuff for my 63 SG restoration, so I'm glad to hear you like it!

Lagger
Vintage Vintage SG Member
Username: Lagger

Post Number: 157

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:07 am: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
hope you ordered the aluminum stopbar seems to make a difference to my earsLook at this!! Use it !! you won't regret it !!

Ultimate SG wiring Schematic

Latest posts