Archive - Tubescreamers or....?

CharlieB

Reaction score
Link to this message

Paradox
Junior SG Junior Member
Username: Paradox

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I am looking at getting two stomp boxes. A overdrive/distortion unit and a compressor unit. Since my music store only carries BOSS stuff - which I'm not that found of I'm gonna do the try before you buy approach.. Here's what I'm thinking:

TS9 Tube Screamer (the TS808 is $170...sheeish!)
MXR Dyna Comp

I was looking for a MXR Dist+ to replace my 20 year old unit - its failing apart - but I don't know if they still make it. From what I've heard the TS9 sounds better anyway.

I was thinkin' maybe somebody makes a cool overdrive/sustainer in one pedal, but the only one I saw (at MF) was this Route 66 thing - don't know nothin' about em, maybe its best to have the units seperate anyway?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keithsauls
Custom SG Custom Member
Username: Keithsauls

Post Number: 496

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
the ts9 is a cool pedal! as far as an all in one overdrive/sustainer pedal try out the electro harmonix big muff. i dont know if its what your looking for but it could be.just for shits and giggles try out a pro co rat as well. they are cool also.

Jonny_guitar
Junior SG Junior Member
Username: Jonny_guitar

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
My sg sounds awesome with my Analogman Ts-9 and a Keeley Compressor. The Ts-9 takes away some of the inherent darkness of an all mahogany guitar and gives it some midrange zip. For more distortion I use the Ibanez sd-9 (the hairier big brother of the ts-9).

Charlieb
Vintage Vintage SG Member
Username: Charlieb

Post Number: 1192

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
STOP THE PRESSES

Do yourself a favor and check out the Visual Sound Route 66 pedal. Its got TubeScream/Compressor all in one. Use each or together, with or without bass boost built in. A great pedal, but a bit pricey at the negotiated $119 (dealer net only $69 so they're making some bux on this one). Try to find a used one on E-bay. Another SG Schematic (my thanks to Lagger)

'04 SG Special, worn brown - '04 SG Special, worn cherry - '73 Guild S-100 - '78 Strat -
'96 Tele 52 reissue - '97 Tele Thinline - '98 Tele Thinline - '03 Adamas SMT - Tacoma M1e Mandolin - and a livingroom full of blackface Fender amps!

Voxman
Username: Voxman

Post Number: 1215

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
All these pedals you all mentioning here are excellent choices, every one! Analog man has some great stuff too. The list goes on and on!

Paradox
Junior SG Junior Member

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Charlieb, its not that bad a price especially since I am looking at $99 for the TS-9 and another $69 for the dyna comp - you'd be saving me like ..uh..uh 54 bucks!!!

Charlieb
Username: Charlieb

Post Number: 1196

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Well I've played the Rt 66. Its a sweet overdrive, very nice sounding. Smooth compression. Another SG Schematic (my thanks to Lagger)

'04 SG Special, worn brown - '04 SG Special, worn cherry - '73 Guild S-100 - '78 Strat -
'96 Tele 52 reissue - '97 Tele Thinline - '98 Tele Thinline - '03 Adamas SMT - Tacoma M1e Mandolin - and a livingroom full of blackface Fender amps!

Sgmarshall3
Junior SG Junior Member
Username: Sgmarshall3

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
How much gain are you looking for? I love my MXR Zakk Wylde, but it's definitely not for the faint of heart! Works great with my Marshall.

Tony_m
Custom SG Custom Member
Username: Tony_m

Post Number: 253

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 06:02 am: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I'm with Charlie on this one. I have a Route 66. The OD in it is very tube screamerish and the compressor is excellent..very smooth sounding..no "breathing" or "pumping" whatsoever. The OD and the compressor each have their own set of dedicated controls and their own footswitch and they are in the right order (comp-->OD). At $119.00 it is a steal when you consider what a separate compressor and OD of similar quality will cost you. There is also a "fat" switch that does a nice thing. The pedal is built like a tank and though it is large, it isn't really much larger at all than a screamer and a dyna comp sitting next to each other, and you eliminate a patch cable. Definitely look into it. (The same people, {Visual Sound} also make a dual Chorus/Delay pedal of similar build and sound quality called the H20. Buy these 2 pedals and you have your Whole pedalboard, Comp-OD-Chorus-Delay, all in 2 stompboxes.)Have fun and play well.
T.

Maxguitar
Standard SG Standard Member
Username: Maxguitar

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Anybody tried the CompTortion from TEch 21?

Paradox
Standard SG Standard Member

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks for the inputs guys, I guess I'm gonna call around town to see if anyone has a Route 66 so I can try it. I think you're right Tony_m, that would be cool to have all 4 effects in 2 pedals!!

Voxman
Username: Voxman

Post Number: 1252

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I need to check one out too! The price is sure right...

Mysticguitar
Junior SG Junior Member
Username: Mysticguitar

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Check out Robert Keeley's gear I have the modded ts-808 and his compressor and could not be happier, plus his people give new meaning to customer service ,remember anyone will take your money service is what counts !!! www.robertkeeley.com

Straightblues
Junior SG Junior Member
Username: Straightblues

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 08:16 am: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I like the Boss Blues Driver better than the Tube Screamers when my guitars have humbucker pickups. Buy a used Blues Driver and send it to Robert Keeley. He will perform miracles and you will have a great pedal for around $100. The pedal from the factory is unusable to my ears, but after Keeley's mod it is fantastic. I love the Tube Screamer with single coil pickups but to me, too many people are using the tube screamer and everyone is starting to sound the same.