BAM BAM ! ! !

Reaction score
Like anything else, it's different from one area to the next. These two in the thread just above are respectively 275 and 325 CAD. In US currency, that is $203 and $240.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. They seem to be going for more like $350 to $400 list in the USA. Maybe $50 less out the door. That's for any used Epi SG ( not including the newish upper priced models. Those are even more used).

dub-setter

Reaction score
i remember well when they were more like 150-200,- euro (used)
in the bay or private sells. (2 -3 years ago)
seems the "vintage " in the name results in higher prices nowadays..:)

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
They are not branded as Vintage on the guitar, only the initiated know about their quality. Sellers are rarely aware of what they have. But nowadays, any Korean Epiphone seem to be worth its weight in gold.

laza616

Reaction score
Around here everyone is asking too much for any Epiphone.
Yeah, the gas prices are so damn high, that people turned to fire wood for making warmth. So basically any type of wood is more expensive, guitars included, Epiphones as well

But somebody is selling Gibson SG 50s tribute, prototype on the back of the headstock, the model with soapbars for 580€... But its so far away from me to travel :( i would have immediately bought it if it was at least 250 km closer

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
And what do you think about the guitar?
It had a dead neck pickup so it was returned to the seller for a refund.
It looked good and felt pretty good although
I noticed the big bridge saddles trying to chew my hand like a saw blade.
The tone was just not there. Gone tone.
The bridge pickup sounded dark on the high end and lacked bottom on the low end.
Acoustically it was pretty much dead.
The finish felt odd too.
The rosewood fretboard was beautiful and no nibs on the binding.
It looked really nice but that’s about it.
I’m almost glad that it had a defect and I was able to return it.
Disappointing experience but now I know.

laza616

Reaction score
Thats sad, sounds like it could be modified wrong or the guitar had some electronic problems?
Acoustically, you mean even when you picked the strings on unplugged guitar it didnt ring at all?

I hope one faulty piece wont make you avoid this model in the future

What do you mean by odd finish? Like this Satin faded version was bad looking or felt like the feeling on the neck or elsewhere was unusual? My first, very first impression when i picked mine and took it in my hands was more likely the same , i told myself what an off finish, i wasnt expecting this dull non sticky non shiny finish at first, altough the neck was smooth as fvck, but it was gone when i looked better on it at home and now i really dig it, especially in summer when it was hell outside and my hands were all sweaty the neck on this was still pretty damn fast, not like all my other SGs, they are all sticky on the neck after a while when its hot

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Thats sad, sounds like it could be modified wrong or the guitar had some electronic problems?
Acoustically, you mean even when you picked the strings on unplugged guitar it didnt ring at all?

I hope one faulty piece wont make you avoid this model in the future

What do you mean by odd finish? Like this Satin faded version was bad looking or felt like the feeling on the neck or elsewhere was unusual? My first, very first impression when i picked mine and took it in my hands was more likely the same , i told myself what an off finish, i wasnt expecting this dull non sticky non shiny finish at first, altough the neck was smooth as fvck, but it was gone when i looked better on it at home and now i really dig it, especially in summer when it was hell outside and my hands were all sweaty the neck on this was still pretty damn fast, not like all my other SGs, they are all sticky on the neck after a while when its hot
It was all original, very little play wear. It didn’t resonate much. The finish didn’t feel like lacquer. I guess that’s good if you don’t like lacquer. I thought about trying a different bridge and tail but dimensions are different there too. If it had more resonance, I might have kept it but it was almost as dead as a 00’s Gibson LP Jr I once owned. Nothing could make that one ring. Pickups, bridges, tuners, etc. it was just a clunker. Been there, done that.

67F2DE4D-FBE2-4604-A681-340D69F99F9A.jpeg

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
How did it sound through an amp? It is an electric guitar after all.
It sounded like a wah pedal rolled back to 7. Also very dark for a supposed alnico v.
It was pretty hot as far as output.

plankton

Reaction score
It sounded like a wah pedal rolled back to 7. Also very dark for a supposed alnico v.
It was pretty hot as far as output.

The stock pickups in those things are their weak spot, easily fixed, but if you didn't bond with the rest of guitar then there's no point.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The stock pickups in those things are their weak spot, easily fixed, but if you didn't bond with the rest of guitar then there's no point.
It was well made, the rosewood fretboard, frets and binding were arguably better than a recent plek’d Gibbo Standard I owned but it didn’t have much zing or sustain.
It just wouldn’t ring as is and I don’t need another project. I should have known because it was very clean for its age.
The good ones get worn out.

laza616

Reaction score
It just wouldn’t ring
The good ones get worn out.
The first part of this quote - i absolutely support this. For me its important if the guitar rings unplugged. Its the key element i look at while trying when buying, after that the neck comes important too - not if its that profile or this. I can adjust its no problem for me. I dont have favourite, but i look if its not crooked or cracked, then fret wear (just for sake of calculating price of a service when compared to the seller's price). The cosmetic side of the guitar comes the latest.

The good ones get worn out - wow. I love it. Never thought of this and its absolutely true. My favourite quote.

Latest posts