Best aftermarket saddle?

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
I've got two Chinese Flying Vs on the way. I'm fully expecting to want to / have to (take your pick) change just about everything except the wood.

I'm looking for suggestions for bridge replacements. I put a Gotoh on the V, but I'm not happy that the notches are deep enough, or with the design of the intonation adjustment screws.

Suggestions that won't break the bank, please.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
I've got two Chinese Flying Vs on the way. I'm fully expecting to want to / have to (take your pick) change just about everything except the wood.

I'm looking for suggestions for bridge replacements. I put a Gotoh on the V, but I'm not happy that the notches are deep enough, or with the design of the intonation adjustment screws.

Suggestions that won't break the bank, please.

I seriously would not start with this assumption. As for fiddly intonation screws, it's not like adjusting these is something you have to do on stage. They are set-and-forget And if the saddle nothces are too shallow, make them a bit deeper. You don't need a new bridge for that.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I seriously would not start with this assumption. As for fiddly intonation screws, it's not like adjusting these is something you have to do on stage. They are set-and-forget And if the saddle nothces are too shallow, make them a bit deeper. You don't need a new bridge for that.
Word.
Give it a good setup and see what you've got. Only replace what you have to after giving it a fair trial.

plankton

Reaction score
I have used a Gotoh one before and found it to be excellent quality, if you don't like them I wouldn't know what else to suggest. I don't have any issue with stock bridges on Epiphones, they do their job just fine. The only reason I used a Gotoh one was because it was Nashville style and the guitar needed the extra width for proper intonation.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
so buying replacement parts instead of the proper tools is always a good idea

plankton

Reaction score
I kinda like the ones that don't fall off when you restring...

Do you change strings with the guitar upside down?

Seriously, I've never had a tuneomatic bridge fall off when changing strings, a tailpiece maybe, but there's easy ways to stop that too.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Do you change strings with the guitar upside down?

Seriously, I've never had a tuneomatic bridge fall off when changing strings, a tailpiece maybe, but there's easy ways to stop that too.
The big danger is a hurried string change on a dark stage. It is quite easy to drop a saddle then, which is why the spring clip Epiphone fit is a great idea.

plankton

Reaction score
The big danger is a hurried string change on a dark stage. It is quite easy to drop a saddle then, which is why the spring clip Epiphone fit is a great idea.

Fair enough, I wouldn't even attempt that, that's what backup guitars are for, but I can't remember the last time I broke a string anyway.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Even with a backup guitar, I would not want a saddle to drop out when a string breaks during a show, Most of the places I ever played there is a better than even chance you would never see that part ever again, and unless you carried spares along with a file to cut the notch you are back down to one guitar.

Nothing gets the blood going like finishing a song with a broken string hanging while you rearrange your part on the fly to avoid the missing string. Replace the broken string between songs, and now you get to ride the tiger while the new string stretches in... Good times in the days before electronic tuners! :D

jtcnj

Reaction score
++1 on Phila Luthier Supply.
Check the post hole spacing; the USA ones may not fit.

I have had good luck with Musiclily parts, the Pro series ones if available. The standard series may not be any better than typical OEM import parts.

But like others said, the stock parts may be just fine, unless you are changing colors, etc, as you mentioned in another thread.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
If I read you correctly, I am pretty sure you mean bridge and not saddles.

OR are you meaning you want to remove all 6 of the existing saddles on each bridge and replace them but keep the bridge?

I purchased a replacement Gotoh bridge for my 1979 Les Paul that came with the original Schaller bridge and saddles which were all chewed up after 43 years of use.

I still want to get all new saddles for the Schaller and the OEM TOM bridge I have on my ES 135. The saddles are rough on that one too. I am thinking about trying some brass ones.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
These days even inexpensive guitars are of fairly decent quality so unless the purpose of the guitar is something to Tinker with it shouldn't need tinkering. Typically, the only thing needed is a Tusk or Bone nut and possibly pickups for preference. The hardware is usually the last thing that "needs" changing.

plankton

Reaction score
I'm just curious what bridges you guys are using where saddles can pop out. Even an ABR style bridge has the wire, and I know without pressure from a string they can rattle around a bit, but I didn't think it was possible for them to just fall out. In that case I would certainly change the bridge to something that didn't allow that to happen.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
The wire was added to the ABR bridge to prevent the saddles popping out. The Nashville Bridge went a step further with the screw being captive, no wire needed. Most players won't even know what we are talking about, as I don't think this has been an issue for several decades. I am not aware of any bridges in the last 40 years that did not retain the saddles in the event of a broken string. This is an "old guy" problem that very few will still remember today. It was a thing though, just like there was a time where an inexpensive, accurate pocket tuner did not exist. I still have my old pitch pipe which was how we used to tune our guitars back in the day. My first electronic tuner cost three times what I paid for my last one without adjusting for inflation etc. Times change.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Ie had many Epiphones. The ABR 1 style bridge is great. The saddles won’t just fall out.

Latest posts