Boss OD-3 vs BD-2

Flores_68

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been looking for a low gain pedal which I intend to use below 12 o'clock, which is how I usually run my dirt pedals. I currently have an Ibanez ts9, a Wampler Tumnus and an EHX Hot Tubes (amazing, underrated pedal). I was looking into the Boss Blues Driver (also considering the Waza Craft version) and I saw lots of comments online about how the OD-3 is an improved version of the BD-2. I watched a few videos on YouTube but it's not easy to notice the subtle differences by watching videos. As you probably know, some people love the OD-3, some hate it, some love the BD-2 etc.... Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has had first hand experience with both pedals and could tell me if the OD-3 is in fact an improved BD-2 or if I should just go for the BD-2, or the Waza Craft. Thanks

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
If possible, I always recommend "test driving" guitars, amps, and pedals. The results are just too subjective to go strictly off reviews, and even Youtube shootouts are so dependent on the player and signal chain that your results may vary considerably.

That said, something else to add to your list of things to look at would be a "Blues Breaker" type pedal. Originally made by Marshall, these low gain pedals had a very sweet sound and granular flexibility focused exclusively in the low gain areas. The originals are stupid expensive, as when they came out around 1990 they were shunned (high gain sounds being the "order of the day") and did not sell well. Hence they are rare, but people have apparently finally discovered what they are good (great) for.

There are several great modern re-creations for sale at much more reasonable prices, and checking those out would be my recommendation. Some are direct circuit clones, some are new designs but functionally equivalent, and there are some great ones out there.

Here is a good introduction, and there are many other options today not contained in this video.

Here is a good comparison of the BD-2 and an original Blues Breaker pedal. Both are good choices, depending on what exactly you are going for.

As I said, there are between a half a dozen and a dozen great "blues breaker" style pedals out there, Youtube is full of "shootouts" and demos.

Last edited:

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I'll answer your question by saying: Just get the blues driver, it needs no "improvement." I love mine, it's my favorite pedal after my tuner.

Nigel is right of course... there's only one way to know if a pedal gives you what you want, and that's to play one through your own signal chain, using your own guitar with your preferred strings and your own amp and cables, your own paddle board and your own picks.

ETSG motto:
PLAY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT
THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW

And if you listen to a couple of pedals like the OD 3 and the BD 2 and
you can't hear a difference, then there is no difference. People go nuts over imaginary distinctions no one else can hear. Buy whatever's on sale. Or buy a used one... I've done well this way. Guys sell these things for imaginary reasons too. (and take a loss).

Really though, if you've already got a tube screamer, you don't need anything more. People go into OCD tizzy over the differences between chips etc, but it's all blowing smoke IMHO. MY TS-9 sounds excellent. (to MY ear, using MY equipment...)

If you crave some other pedal, then you haven't used your tube screamer enough. *grins. ...but you might want the Blues Driver too.

Last edited:

Westernrider

Reaction score
It has been written in the Greek classics, "That one can never have enough overdrive pedals."

Latest posts