Bridge pickup question

rantman

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some info/advice.

I have a 2019 Standard Tribute which I love in general. However since the gigs seem to be coming back in and I'm using this guitar more I find the bridge 490 to be somewhat thin and nasty. Tried all kinds of adjustments, angled it with a bit of foam etc etc and still not happy. I love the neck pup tho - sounds superb. I tend to avoid using the bridge pup unless using the middle position. The Epi G400 I used to have sounded very balanced overall, the bridge pup sounded full bodied. The Gibson doesn't..

So I have a pair of humbuckers from a destroyed Shergold Masquerader, 1970s model. They were very hot as I remember. So the question is - would fitting one at the bridge be a pain to do? I'm not much of a wiring guy but I can solder ok. The 490 has two wires, the Shergold pup has 5 (with two joined). This guitar has a pcb - is this a factor?

Grateful for info/advice.

Cheers

skelt101

Reaction score
The PCB pickups use molex connectors to attach to the board. You might be able to bypass the connection and solder your vintage pickup directly to the volume pot, but I don’t know. Another option might be a magnet swap in your 490T. You could try a stronger magnet, like an Alnico 8…

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
You can purchase those molex quick connects with wires already attached to solder to pup leads without the molex connectors.

I’ve seen them listed on Reverb in the past.

Last edited:

rantman

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I bought an Artec Vintage-style PAF instead. It sounds pretty good. Hope I wired it right!

Latest posts