Can of Worms

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I spotted this on Reverb. The joints are nearly exact to the ones barely visible on a 19 Pelham Blue Standard I had.
It makes me think other solid color SG’s are done this way.
I’m also thinking this 3-piece layout might be better than a 2-piece split down the middle, second only to a one-piece.
I’ve been wrong before.
Some will say it doesn’t matter.
Thoughts on this construction method?

0F45F8E9-78DF-4347-ADBF-9D98D1AE80CA.jpeg
8ED0FA0C-90CD-44DA-9A26-1B7920858C86.jpeg

plankton

Reaction score
That's very similar to my recently acquired Vintage G400.

BbHwQAD.jpg

I would have preferred the piece on the left to match the grain of the other ones a bit better, but tonally I don't think it makes any difference.

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
Cool guitar.
My CS is one piece.
It don’t make a bit o’ difference.
What’s under the painted ones?
Probably a horror show.
I’d rather see the wood, but I can’t much when I’m playing.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Yup, one piece, two piece, three piece, twenty pieces... properly glued up makes no difference to sound or function of a solid body electric. The only concern would be the appearance for a transparent finish, and again as long as the appearance is taken into account for the construction it could still look quite good even with multiple pieces. Painted of course it makes no difference how many pieces are involved since you will never see the seams or grain if properly sanded and prepped.

I have seen multi piece guitars that used woods of different types, grains, and colors that were intentionally laid out in an artistic way that (arguably) looked better than many one piece bodies in a transparent finish. To me at least they were quite fetching.

Norton

Reaction score
I like the center block with wings approach. If you do it with intent all sorts of things open up.
Flamed maple sides on a mahogany center?? All that kind of hippie sandwich alembic stuff.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
the more pieces the more stable the body. If they went the whole hog and made a sort of plywood on its side you would have the most stable guitar you could imagine. Martin construct their best necks this way. Sure you get some cosmetic "advantage" in single piece bodies, but please don't imagine you also get a better guitar. Not going to happen.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
the more pieces the more stable the body. If they went the whole hog and made a sort of plywood on its side you would have the most stable guitar you could imagine. Martin construct their best necks this way. Sure you get some cosmetic "advantage" in single piece bodies, but please don't imagine you also get a better guitar. Not going to happen.

Great news for the five or six people who love this...

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
So this 6-piece Les Paul from ‘04 doesn’t bug anybody else? I think it’s garbage work but oh well…

A3DAF7F7-B4D1-48F8-A8F5-3209AA083B49.jpeg 3AEFD473-7B74-4E30-A22D-5AC25F925B42.jpeg 501D4111-80DD-4887-8E6D-73C0922B663E.jpeg

Norton

Reaction score
Of course....there's nothing "wrong" with having a bunch of sizable scrap pieces glued into one body sized piece.

random can be cool.. purposefully putting that into the design is probably going to be more interesting.

or a solid color. will always work.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I agree with Norton above. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I would totally give it a test drive, and if it plays good I would probably rock it "as is", or possibly go for a custom paint job if that is what I wanted from it. Different strokes for different folks..

plankton

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's just how things are now. If you want a guitar made from certain woods you're not getting a single piece big enough. We cut down all those trees already.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's just how things are now. If you want a guitar made from certain woods you're not getting a single piece big enough. We cut down all those trees already.
I’ve seen more 1-piece bodies recently. The one up top is from ‘04, you know, supposedly still in the “good wood” era lol.

Von Trapp

Reaction score

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Here's a thought, Dan. Maybe they're being a bit frugal, maybe a bit environmentally conscious? Instead of throwing perfectly good wood scraps away that can't be purposed into one or two piece bodies they're repurposing them into lower tier American guitars like SG Tributes and LP Specials with these multiple piece bodies?

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Here's a thought, Dan. Maybe they're being a bit frugal, maybe a bit environmentally conscious? Instead of throwing perfectly good wood scraps away that can't be purposed into one or two piece bodies they're repurposing them into lower tier American guitars like SG Tributes and LP Specials with these multiple piece bodies?
Yea, you’re right, those examples are over 15 yrs ago.
I’m sure the 3-piece Norlin era LP tops were a can of worms in their day too.
I need to stop looking at them like pieces of furniture and just play the damn things.

Latest posts