Votes: 15 31.3%
  • rarely

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • not at all

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters

Biddlin

Reaction score
Simple poll question, please answer only if you own or have owned a guitar with push pull coil splitting.

PixMix

Reaction score
I own three guitars with push pull coil splitting (1x LP, 2x SG). I voted rarely. To me, on these guitars, spit buckers sound ok on only when both (split) pickups are engaged, but otherwise not too useful.

One of my SGs will be getting the 50s wiring, as soon as I get around it.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I voted rarely. I’m not being facetious, but it depends on the day. Sometimes I say eh, other times I say yeah that’s the sound. My only current splittable guitar is a PRS 594.

HackeIommi

Reaction score
I have one HSS Japanese Jackson and HH Gibson Nighthawk (which has a Fender scale length too) with coil-split humbuckers. I use them, and I am very glad, no complaints. They give me lots of versatility. But I prefer to use my SG just in HB mode. Coil-split sounds are not my favorite in short-scale guitars like SG and LP.

Didds

Reaction score
Voted rarely. The only guitars I own are SGs so when I want a slightly start-like tone I'll split both pups in middle position and it sounds pretty good.

Chubbles

Reaction score
I moded a Strat to HSS. It had a Super Distortion on bridge. I didn't like the coil splitting tone. It's now HH.

The problem is coil splitting does not sound like single coils.

Kerry Brown

Reaction score
I have an old Vantage guitar with mini switches for coil tap and out of phase. It is the most versatile guitar I own. It has the original mighty mite ceramic pickups which sound great tapped. Very strat like. I have played other guitars with coil tap and was not impressed. I think some pickups respond to this better than others.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I have an old Vantage guitar with mini switches for coil tap and out of phase. It is the most versatile guitar I own. It has the original mighty mite ceramic pickups which sound great tapped. Very strat like. I have played other guitars with coil tap and was not impressed. I think some pickups respond to this better than others.
It may indeed be tapped, not split. Coil tapping cancels out the full length of the magnet by taking the signal from a shorter point in the wire, not necessarily isolating one coil.

Layne Matz

Reaction score
Wow everybody.

Split humbuckers in my g400 with 50s style wiring sounds excellent, highly similar to a ceramic single coil and works well to get a single coild tone w/out switching guitars. I would use it on the neck pup to get more of a hendirx, Allman, SRV tone, it worked well.

Technically speaking I think that major difference between a split humbucker and a single coil is the magnet used and the baseplate its all attached to which definitely impacts the tone.

I think all of the people speaking against it should give it a try without expecting it be one way or another. Its just as versatile as any regular humbucker or single.

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
I have a Kiesel Strat type with HSS setup and a JB in the bridge. The biggest issue with trying to split that pickup is the balancing issue. If you adjust the bridge pickup so you get balanced single coil volume amongst the 3, when you play it in humbucker mode its like hitting a 10dB boost. Adjust it so the humbucker is balanced with the 2 single coils and its output is too low as a single coil.

4wight

Reaction score
A bit of a truism, but it depends on the pickup and the guitar... I have a modded single pickup SG1 with a Bill Lawrence L100 at the bridge. It sounds great split, but maybe that's because it's quite a hot pickup to start with...or maybe I'm not looking for a specific Strat tone, just a bit of tonal variation.

Bonzo21

Reaction score
I used to think it was useless when I didn't have them. But i've had a guitar with them for a while now (es-339 with DiMarzio 36th ann.) and I actually really like the split tone. It's best in the middle position, but the neck is good too.

GrumpyOldDBA

Reaction score
All of my guitars have it as option some have both coil split or tap switchable.

I use it at times mostly playing clean and quieter songs.

But still it is rare for me to use but an option i like to have on a guitar just in case.

RazorReaver

Reaction score
A bit of a truism, but it depends on the pickup and the guitar...

It most definitely depends on the pickup in question, how the guitar is wired and what expectations you have from the coil split. From pickups with asymmetrical coils to partial split resistors (or even dial-a-split knobs), people who desperately want the versatility usually find a way to make it work...

I remember reading somewhere about a dude that used an inductor instead of a resistor for the partial split, and the way it affected the frequencies going to ground gave said dude the tone+output he was looking for.

It is a 'yes' from me, but that answer is far from straightforward...