Cool little restoration video of '73 SG

Norton

Reaction score
not only does this guy have wizard level skills... but his commentary is Always hilarious and illuminating.

so good. thanks for posting this!

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
not only does this guy have wizard level skills... but his commentary is Always hilarious and illuminating.

so good. thanks for posting this!
Yeah, this guy's amazing. Just watched another of his videos where he had a Slash Les Paul with the headstock completely snapped off, super ugly break. By the time he was finished you could barely tell there had been any damage at all.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Very pleasant to watch. It looks like a fun project, and I like the choices he made along the way. It is always nice to see someone at work who knows what they are doing, I learn something every single time!

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Here's another headstock repair on a 2004 SG. He gets into some headstock break comedy, Canadian style!

And another on some early Les Paul SGs.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Here's another headstock repair on a 2004 SG. He gets into some headstock break comedy, Canadian style!

And another on some early Les Paul SGs.

Yo Dude, TNX for posting this.....That 'STINGER', HHHMMMMM..... IIRC there are not many of those types of SG's around ? I've never seen one...and judging by the lower end of the tip it looks like it may have been a 'MOD' that whoever bought (and then fucked it up ?) it, may have done it themselves ? ......IDK BUT....the GIBSON legacy pages don't go that far back (2015 is all !) so I've no clue if that is a true GIBSON made 'STINGER'...what do you think ? It might not be that difficult to add that oneself, yes? Pop off the TM's and get a decal/stencil or whatev and get to steppin'....but why ? They are kinda cool lookin but IDK if I get the whole idea of those things.....MAYBE if I was in a SCORPIONS Tribute band ?

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Yo Dude, TNX for posting this.....That 'STINGER', HHHMMMMM..... IIRC there are not many of those types of SG's around ? I've never seen one...and judging by the lower end of the tip it looks like it may have been a 'MOD' that whoever bought (and then fucked it up ?) it, may have done it themselves ? ......IDK BUT....the GIBSON legacy pages don't go that far back (2015 is all !) so I've no clue if that is a true GIBSON made 'STINGER'...what do you think ? It might not be that difficult to add that oneself, yes? Pop off the TM's and get a decal/stencil or whatev and get to steppin'....but why ? They are kinda cool lookin but IDK if I get the whole idea of those things.....MAYBE if I was in a SCORPIONS Tribute band ?
He was pretty sure it was a non-Gibson mod because it sat on top, not underneath, the original finish.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
And courtesy of YouTube's algorithm, I think this is the last of his SG themed work. An interesting mod on a SG Jr.

MR D

Reaction score
He was pretty sure it was a non-Gibson mod because it sat on top, not underneath, the original finish.
AH-HA ! BUSTED (?) ! YEAH, I'd have to agree...I've yet to see a 'STINGER' on an 'SG', have you ? TTYTT it looks kinda WEIRD ! and for me to say that, u kno ? I pretty much go along w/anything but, IDK..... looks kinda ridic !

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
AH-HA ! BUSTED (?) ! YEAH, I'd have to agree...I've yet to see a 'STINGER' on an 'SG', have you ? TTYTT it looks kinda WEIRD ! and for me to say that, u kno ? I pretty much go along w/anything but, IDK..... looks kinda ridic !

MR D

Reaction score
So GIBSON USA did not actually put the 'STINGER' on the guitar at the factory ? As I mentioned, I've never seen one on an 'SG', till the one pic'd above. Or this guy Dave is a GIBSON employee ?or a Retailer ? or was commissioned by GIBSON USA to do it ? or he just did it coz it was/is COOL (to who ?) and made them all himself ? of just modded the 'SG's he got and re-sold them ? ?

Imma li' slow (BHAH !) and ain't really catchin on to what the story here is D.D. !

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
And courtesy of YouTube's algorithm, I think this is the last of his SG themed work. An interesting mod on a SG Jr.

YO DUDE, did you catch what year the SG in this video is (Guy sez "its 10 yrs old", yes?)? When I looked in the Control Cavity I did not see any SHIELDING ! Now, I had previously thought, from looking inside quite a few SG's/LP's Etc.... ranging from Norlin's Era to the present day, and my take was that GIBSON USA had only started NOT SHIELDING the Control cavities around 2016 to early 2019 and when players started Screemin/Bitchin/Complaining about the POPPING and STATIC noises coming From the Amps that GIBSON USA actually listened and started SHIELDING the Control Cavities again (I do the Toggle and sometimes the Pickup cavities/Runways too !) as my 2019 SG 'Original' is SHIELDED but both of my 2017 GIBSON Solid-Body Electric Models (a Lester & SG, both Standards) both had to be SHIELDED as soon as I got them ! The Lester popped like a Jack-in-the-Box and needed to be Shielded and it needed a NUT and In-Lay @ 9TH needed to be shaved down straight out of the factory....(turned out to be the Toggle Switch was the cause of most of the 'NOISE'/Popping/Static, once SHIELDED...SILENCE).....
N E Way:
You notice any of your GIBSON USA Electrics NOT being SHIELDED ? and if so, what years ? I started doin the SHIELDING myself as shops want ridiculous $$$ to do it..and take weeks to get around to it....all it is..... is just putting Copper Tape in the damn things.....

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
YO DUDE, did you catch what year the SG in this video is (Guy sez "its 10 yrs old", yes?)? When I looked in the Control Cavity I did not see any SHIELDING ! Now, I had previously thought, from looking inside quite a few SG's/LP's Etc.... ranging from Norlin's Era to the present day, and my take was that GIBSON USA had only started NOT SHIELDING the Control cavities around 2016 to early 2019 and when players started Screemin/Bitchin/Complaining about the POPPING and STATIC noises coming From the Amps that GIBSON USA actually listened and started SHIELDING the Control Cavities again (I do the Toggle and sometimes the Pickup cavities/Runways too !) as my 2019 SG 'Original' is SHIELDED but both of my 2017 GIBSON Solid-Body Electric Models (a Lester & SG, both Standards) both had to be SHIELDED as soon as I got them ! The Lester popped like a Jack-in-the-Box and needed to be Shielded and it needed a NUT and In-Lay @ 9TH needed to be shaved down straight out of the factory....(turned out to be the Toggle Switch was the cause of most of the 'NOISE'/Popping/Static, once SHIELDED...SILENCE).....
N E Way:
You notice any of your GIBSON USA Electrics NOT being SHIELDED ? and if so, what years ? I started doin the SHIELDING myself as shops want ridiculous $$$ to do it..and take weeks to get around to it....all it is..... is just putting Copper Tape in the damn things.....
Here's the control cavity of my 2021 Special. Naked as the day is long. In fact you can feel raw mahogany in there. IMG_0994.jpeg

MR D

Reaction score
Here's the control cavity of my 2021 Special. Naked as the day is long. In fact you can feel raw mahogany in there. View attachment 49354
Pelham Blue DUDE ? NICE ! That's an 'Exclusive' ? Any popping/static etc etc....? its weird that GIBSON USA seems to STOP/START SHIELDING like its changing strings....FFS, I figure that they know GUITARS need to be SHIELDED, YES ? The Flying V 70's Tribute has SHIELDING TAPE on the under side of the Pickguard as the set up is like the BATWING SG's w/pickups attached to the Pickguard.That Guitar is Silent !

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Here's the control cavity of my 2021 Special. Naked as the day is long. In fact you can feel raw mahogany in there. View attachment 49354
On 2nd look Dude, there looks like SHIELDING Paint might be in the cavity, running down the inside walls ? it looks like a possible different color: Blackish-Grey ? and in the top right corner of the picture there seems to be different color Paint on the ridge where the cover would sit, no ? IF that is what SHIELDING @ GIBSON USA is coming to these days its pretty SORRY-ASS work, but IDK, I thought that GIBSON USA had resumed w/SHIELDING PAINT, my 2019 SG 'Original' has SHIELDING PAINT in the C.C....... I have to take a look at my 2020 SG Standard Control Cavity .............I haven't played it in a while.....might not be here...gotta take a look....GBTY on that !

What device did you use to upload the picture ? I haven't been able to upload N E Thing on this website in months !

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
On 2nd look Dude, there looks like SHIELDING Paint might be in the cavity, running down the inside walls ? it looks like a possible different color: Blackish-Grey ? and in the top right corner of the picture there seems to be different color Paint on the ridge where the cover would sit, no ? IF that is what SHIELDING @ GIBSON USA is coming to these days its pretty SORRY-ASS work, but IDK, I thought that GIBSON USA had resumed w/SHIELDING PAINT, my 2019 SG 'Original' has SHIELDING PAINT in the C.C....... I have to take a look at my 2020 SG Standard Control Cavity .............I haven't played it in a while.....might not be here...gotta take a look....GBTY on that !

What device did you use to upload the picture ? I haven't been able to upload N E Thing on this website in months !
It doesn't appear to be shielding paint, just elements of the body's finish that drifted into the electronic cavity, especially the clear coat, but there are sections where you can feel the raw wood grain. I asked my guitar "doctor" and he said that factory shielding is not all that common, only necessary in certain cases of unwanted noise.

This is no exclusive or custom shop, just a USA made Special from the 2019 run (the sparkling burgundy, faded pelham blue) before they switched to cherry and ebony last year. It's fun, well made guitar. I slapped some Fralin P90s in it and replaced the lightning bar with an intonatable wraparound bridge. A fun little player's guitar.

MR D

Reaction score
It doesn't appear to be shielding paint, just elements of the body's finish that drifted into the electronic cavity, especially the clear coat, but there are sections where you can feel the raw wood grain. I asked my guitar "doctor" and he said that factory shielding is not all that common, only necessary in certain cases of unwanted noise.

This is no exclusive or custom shop, just a USA made Special from the 2019 run (the sparkling burgundy, faded pelham blue) before they switched to cherry and ebony last year. It's fun, well made guitar. I slapped some Fralin P90s in it and replaced the lightning bar with an intonatable wraparound bridge. A fun little player's guitar.
IDK, maybe its the electricity where I am playing? BUT, All of the '70's Norlin Era GIBSON's I had all (all 3 of 'em, LOL !!!) had Black shielding paint in the Control Cavities.(one was an 8Lbs 13 Ounce SG, weighs more than one my Les Pauls, don't miss it !).....my 2017 LES PAUL Standard had really bad Popping static noise's and I shielded the Toggle switch cavity and it got rid of 80% of it.....then SWEETWATER did the rest when I sent it back to them, I couldn't take it plus it other issues, so back it went...SWEETWATER did a good job on it ...since that guitar I've noticed that some GIBSON's have shielding and some don't...My FIREBIRD from 2018, the FIREBIRD T (Standard) was Hand wired at the factory and its shielded w/paint in the C.C......but the 2018 Explorer wasn't and I did it myself w/copper tape........the '70's Tribute Flying V has shielding tape from the factory (but its not copper) on the back of the pickguard coz its like the batwing SG's electronically w/pickups in the Pick Guard and IIRC all of the pots are attached to it too (?). One of my current SG's has Paint, and two didn't, IIRC. I gotta take another look next time I see them. I remember shielding at least one of them.

Btw, DUDE...do the Frailin P-90's have the P-90 'HUM' , if that is actually a 'THING'? IDK if it is, Iommi never sounded too "HUMMY" to me ? BUT BUt But I got that Lester Special this year w/the P-90's, the '54 Look-a-Like and it frikkin 'HUMS' incessantly.......and I bought it coz I never played a guitar w/P-90's.(Duh TA Duh Ta DUH)........If I don't turn the Tone controls all the way down...I cant stand to play it for the 'HUM'-ing the P-90's make.....IDK, Starting to think I got some dirty electricity? LOL !!! But my place ain't the only Rig(s) it happens on......

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
IDK, maybe its the electricity where I am playing? BUT, All of the '70's Norlin Era GIBSON's I had all (all 3 of 'em, LOL !!!) had Black shielding paint in the Control Cavities......my 2017 LES PAUL Standard had really bad Popping static noise's and I shielded the Toggle switch cavity and it got rid of 80% of it.....then SWEETWATER did the rest when I sent it back to them...since that guitar I've noticed that some GIBSON's have shielding and some don't...My FIREBIRD from 2018, the FIREBIRD T (Standard) was hardwired at the factory and its shielded w/paint in the C.C......but the 2018 Explorer wasn't and I did it myself w/copper tape........the '70's Tribute Flying V has shielding tape on the back of the pickguard coz its like the batwing SG's electronically w/pickups in the PG.

Btw, DUDE...do the Frailin P-90's have the P-90 'HUM' ? I got that Lester Special this year w/them, the '55 Look-a-Like and it HUMS incessantly....If I don't turn the Tone controls all the way down...I cant stand to play it for the 'HUM'-ing the P-90's make.

Latest posts