Current used prices

OzzyZigg

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but of course prices change (often quickly). I'm curious about current prices for a 61 reissue (not custom shop, not vos). The prices online and on Reverb seem to be all over the place. What is the current line of thinking on a 20 year old SG 61 reissue (57 classics, nickel hardware, abr bridge) in good to very good condition?

Cooltouch

Reaction score
I've learned that, with an item that might be somewhat uncommon, to -- first of all -- be patient. The more time you spend doing the searches, the greater chance there is that what you're after will begin to emerge from the noise. Also, finding out how to dig deeper can help. For example, Reverb often has a chart showing price trends over the past several years. That can be helpful information. And on eBay, first, do a search for your item. Then you'll see all these checkboxes on the left side of the screen. Scroll down toward the bottom until you find "sold items," then click on that. Only sold items will be shown. This may help, providing the search terms you used were accurate enough to narrow things down enough.

I've done google searches on very rare or uncommon items before and I've found that it often helps to try different wordings with my searches, and also to read articles that seem somewhat pertinent. They may offer clues that can help with your search.

OzzyZigg

Reaction score
Thanks Cooltouch. I was doing what you suggest on Reverb - which is where I find prices all over the place. I wasn't aware of that ebay function, so checked it out and it did provide some useful comps. My feeling - and it is nothing more than a hunch - is that the recent (pandemic) demand combined with the "vintage" market seems to be driving up the prices of SGs that are more than, say, 10-15 years old. I did just purchase one - a 2001 61 reissue in good shape - for 1300 CDN. So I'm very happy so far. Now I just have to get my hands on it! Can't wait!

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
He's absolutely right, look at SALE prices, not asking prices. People will frequently ask for the moon and let their guitars sit unsold for months on end. Everybody wants to get top dollar. Sometimes even when the guitar is in poor shape!

You paid a reasonable price IMO. And most of the time, if you just have a little patience, you can find a similar deal for the guitar you want. Don't give in to the speculators!

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Thanks Cooltouch. I was doing what you suggest on Reverb - which is where I find prices all over the place. I wasn't aware of that ebay function, so checked it out and it did provide some useful comps. My feeling - and it is nothing more than a hunch - is that the recent (pandemic) demand combined with the "vintage" market seems to be driving up the prices of SGs that are more than, say, 10-15 years old. I did just purchase one - a 2001 61 reissue in good shape - for 1300 CDN. So I'm very happy so far. Now I just have to get my hands on it! Can't wait!
Well....I think you'll be happy with the 2001 61 reissue. Mine is also a 2001 and it's hands down the nicest Gibson neck I've ever played. I've had it for over a decade and it's still my go to.
IMG_20220327_123037810~2.jpg
Red (2001) Black (2012).

I bought the 2001 used 10-11 years ago for $1400 CAD which was a tad high at the time but exactly what wanted. I bought the 2012 just before Christmas for $1850 CAD.

I would think if yours is in decent shape then $1300 CAD is a very good price these days.

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but of course prices change (often quickly). I'm curious about current prices for a 61 reissue (not custom shop, not vos). The prices online and on Reverb seem to be all over the place. What is the current line of thinking on a 20 year old SG 61 reissue (57 classics, nickel hardware, abr bridge) in good to very good condition?

You can search a 2016 SG '61 Ri Proprietary Ltd Edition, this model has one piece body, nickel hardware, real Gibson ABR-1 bridge. It' s available in ebony and cherry finish.

Temp 47981.JPG

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
You can search a 2016 SG '61 Ri Proprietary Ltd Edition, this model has one piece body, nickel hardware, real Gibson ABR-1 bridge. It' s available in ebony and cherry finish.

View attachment 48099
Assuming the OP's incoming 2001 is the same as my 2001 it'll have all those specs too.

My Black 2012 does not.

PS. I would love to come across the 2016 in Black. I like the one I have but do notice some of those differences in comparison to my 2001.

OzzyZigg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes, mine is one piece, abr, nickel hardware, 57s etc. I've always liked SGs (sound and look), and although I don't really need another guitar right now, I did say to myself that if one came along that checked the right boxes I'd act. Unfortunately because of travel etc I won't lay hands on it for a week or two. Will post up some pics when it arrives.

Your pics won't make the waiting any easier Juan Tumani ;)

papagayo

Reaction score
Assuming the OP's incoming 2001 is the same as my 2001 it'll have all those specs too.

My Black 2012 does not.

PS. I would love to come across the 2016 in Black. I like the one I have but do notice some of those differences in comparison to my 2001.

The 2016 SG '61 RI Proprietary Ltd Edition have the same specifications than a '61 RI made before 2002.

I have an Ebony '61 RI Proprietary Ltd Edition, killer SG.

Gibson SG '61 Proprietary 40.JPG

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
The 2016 SG '61 RI Proprietary Ltd Edition have the same specifications than a '61 RI made before 2002.

View attachment 48100
I'll have to keep an eye out for one. I really love my 2001 but in general am not a fan of red guitars. I wouldn't change mine for anything but if I found one the same in Black that would be icing on the cake.

Until then I'm happy enough with the 2012.

papagayo

Reaction score
I'll have to keep an eye out for one. I really love my 2001 but in general am not a fan of red guitars. I wouldn't change mine for anything but if I found one the same in Black that would be icing on the cake.

Until then I'm happy enough with the 2012.

You can use Faber® iNsert™ Conversion Studs if you want a Gibson ABR-1 bridge, Faber studs are 6-32 inches threaded, read this : https://www.faberguitar.com/iNsert-...studs-7mm-6-32inch-BRASS-nickel-plated-glossy

MR D

Reaction score

View attachment 48100
WOW, Drool worthy.....SWEET SG Dude ! What pickups are in it.? ...imma thinkin '57's would be KILLER in that there SG= BAD-A$$=ERY DUDE ! !!

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
WOW, Drool worthy.....SWEET SG Dude ! What pickups are in it.? ...imma thinkin '57's would be KILLER in that there SG= BAD-A$$=ERY DUDE ! !!
If it's the stock pickups then they are the 57's. IMO pretty much the best combo.

Latest posts