Did I buy a fake SG?

Westernrider

Reaction score
I'm just one of many, and here is the same message that others have already said ...... stop worrying and play your guitar. You have an instrument that I believe many of us would be very pleased to own. For some, and including myself, the 2103 SG's are excellent guitars ..... they are meant to be admired and used.

NixZerox

Reaction score
I'm just one of many, and here is the same message that others have already said ...... stop worrying and play your guitar. You have an instrument that I believe many of us would be very pleased to own. For some, and including myself, the 2103 SG's are excellent guitars ..... they are meant to be admired and used.
Indeed I do not worry anymore. You have all been very helpful. I do hope to gain some knowledge in order to be able to help other memebers here just as I've been.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
That is a cool bass!!! I suppose you've got that one for your collection and not for gigging.
NixZerox, correct, but it's life since 1998 has been no closet queen. It has been well played and the former owner has a band and has gigged as a bass player for 30 some years. His reason for actually selling the bass to me is he is a lefty and wants only lefty bases. This bass is obviously a righty. BUT, this did not stop him from playing it live. He is also a roadie for Michael Schenker and told me he even played it alongside Mike on the song Armed and Ready during a sound check with Mike. His words were essentially " it was amazing to hear that tone of his, right alongside him"

Once I met him at a mutual meet spot between our two home towns, I actually had to sit in my car at a Mcdonalds parking lot to catch my breath in knowing the Bass I just bought was indeed signed by Schenker, Herman Rarebell, Francis Buchholz, Rev Jones, Doogie White, and Wayne Findlay. To me it is really worthy of being a museum piece of Rock n Roll. It is now a true treasure to me.

Here is a pic of him and his band mates, see how the bass hangs lefty?

Attachments

• storm2c Band Gregg Sweigert  Schenker Bass.png
    storm2c Band Gregg Sweigert Schenker Bass.png
    912.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

laza616

Reaction score
Yes, pretty nice upgraded Gibson. Its legit dont worry
Congrats its a beauty. These are pretty cool guitars

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The knobs and switch tip were also swapped.
Cool looking Tribute.
24 fret neck too.

NixZerox

Reaction score
NixZerox, correct, but it's life since 1998 has been no closet queen. It has been well played and the former owner has a band and has gigged as a bass player for 30 some years. His reason for actually selling the bass to me is he is a lefty and wants only lefty bases. This bass is obviously a righty. BUT, this did not stop him from playing it live. He is also a roadie for Michael Schenker and told me he even played it alongside Mike on the song Armed and Ready during a sound check with Mike. His words were essentially " it was amazing to hear that tone of his, right alongside him"

Once I met him at a mutual meet spot between our two home towns, I actually had to sit in my car at a Mcdonalds parking lot to catch my breath in knowing the Bass I just bought was indeed signed by Schenker, Herman Rarebell, Francis Buchholz, Rev Jones, Doogie White, and Wayne Findlay. To me it is really worthy of being a museum piece of Rock n Roll. It is now a true treasure to me.

Here is a pic of him and his band mates, see how the bass hangs lefty?
Cool man! Well you just have to have the right friends. 😎

NixZerox

Reaction score
The knobs and switch tip were also swapped.
Cool looking Tribute.
24 fret neck too.
Thank you. I wouldn't have known otherwise. I'm waiting for Gibson to give me the specs, but I don't really care about having it original. I'm good as long as it plays well and sounds good.

NixZerox

Reaction score
Yes, pretty nice upgraded Gibson. Its legit dont worry
Congrats its a beauty. These are pretty cool guitars
Thank you, and if I had loads more money I'd probably buy lots of them but my wife always asks me: "do you really need another guitar?" ...and onestly I just need one more, the next one! 😱😂🤣😂

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Also, all that stuff is reversible. The quick connectors probably still work. You would just need to clip the lead wires where they are soldered, if you ever wanted to remove those and use quick connects for whatever reason.

NixZerox

Reaction score
Just to set things straight. Gibson says:
The serial number refers to a guitar Gibson SG Tribute 70’s neck, in Chocolate Vintage finish, chrome hardware, made in 2013 in Nashville, USA.

Features:
  • Solid Mahogany body available in three satin nitrocellulose finishes
  • Mahogany neck with medium '70s profile
  • Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays
  • Pair of high-output Dirty Fingers™ humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge

MR D

Reaction score

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
on October 1st, 2013
Production Number: 396

As I look at the guitar, I saw what others said. Real Guitar, possible swap of pickups/electronics

My SG Faded from 2005 has the Kluson style Not Grover tuners.
My 2008 SG Classic has P90 pickups and is my only guitar with the PCB control board. It also has DOT inlays and Binding. It also came with the Keystone type Kluson/Gibson style tuners which was odd because most of the Classics I had seen had the oval white button tuners, which I bought a set of and swapped onto my SG. I took the Keystone ones off to put on my 1987 SG Special that had some identical but worn out Klusons. Perfect swap of OEM tuners.

I am almost sure your guitar is not a Classic but another model that came stock with humbuckers and not the P90's like the Classics had. Yours also has the trapezoid inlays. I am not exactly sure of the model yours is yet with the non Glossy finish and Trap Inlays and unbound neck

My Classic Neck

Body

2 of my Specials, the P90 Classic and the SG Faded Walnut. My only non dot neck SG has small block inlays as was the norm for 1976 versions.

The DOT In-lays with a bound neck, get me every time, NICE ONE !!! still waiting to see an Ebony Board w/Dots and Bound Neck !!! I'm sure there's gotta be one out there but I aint seen one yet ! !

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Yep, I agree with the above.
Congratulations on buying an excellent gutiar
and welcome to ETSG.

Rock that sucker!

Latest posts