Do Grovers look "right" on an SG?

BigJim

Reaction score
All my Les Pauls have Grover tuners, kidney bean buttons, aged nickle. I don't like the stock Tulip Klusons, always feel cheap and plasticy...

I got another SG last week, its got those terrible snot green tuners on it, that feel cheap.

I have a few sets of Grovers here, really thinking about installing them, but I'm just not convinced its gonna look right. Also worried about the additional weight tipping this well balanced guitar into a neck diver. A friends Epi SG has Grovers on it, it can be a wild ride if you don't keep an eye on it, lol..

I know I can find better tuners that look stock, my USA SG 61 has the upgraded Tone Pros Klusons on it, they are much better tuners. I still don't like the look though!

Anyone add Grovers to their SG and keep them on?

Steve D

Reaction score
Grovers look fine on an SG, in my opinion. However they are heavy. SGs don't like heavy headstocks, they are barely balanced as it is. Grovers make some of them into neck dive pendulums.

But then again, I've had my share of '70s SGs with metal tuners (Gibson branded, not grovers) and they didn't neck dive, but the bodies were quite heavy in the 70s, at least mine were. Guess it depends on the guitar.

NMA

Reaction score

Dunno, this isn't terrible...

But this is wonderful:

headstock-sg-11-fix-USE.jpg

TDA1966

Reaction score
I like the Schaller shape like Gibson used in the 70's.. I just put these Gotoh's with Ivoroid Schaller style buttons on a SG Standard. But Grovers look ok too. Just wanted to share another option.
IMG-20220402-203920772.jpg

BigJim

Reaction score
The original 1961 SG came eguipped with those green tuners. Yeah, we can do what we want with our guitars, change everything; but the guitar's origin is with those green tuners.

View attachment 47712

Those tuners don't look green to me!
Or as yellow as the Tone Pros Klusons either.

NMA

Reaction score
Those tuners don't look green to me!
Or as yellow as the Tone Pros Klusons either.

They are green.

Here's a video of a guy playing a 1961 SG (called a Les Paul when they first came out). Look at 10 seconds in. Green.

Carrion

Reaction score
All my Les Pauls have Grover tuners, kidney bean buttons, aged nickle. I don't like the stock Tulip Klusons, always feel cheap and plasticy...

I got another SG last week, its got those terrible snot green tuners on it, that feel cheap.

I have a few sets of Grovers here, really thinking about installing them, but I'm just not convinced its gonna look right. Also worried about the additional weight tipping this well balanced guitar into a neck diver. A friends Epi SG has Grovers on it, it can be a wild ride if you don't keep an eye on it, lol..

I know I can find better tuners that look stock, my USA SG 61 has the upgraded Tone Pros Klusons on it, they are much better tuners. I still don't like the look though!

Anyone add Grovers to their SG and keep them on?
why not use the GRovers (stable) and change the buttons, the kidneys on my 2018 Lovling Grovers bothered me for the look, so I changed the buttons to Ivory Tulips , and am very happy with the look, and I keep the awesome factory locking Grovers :) button4.jpg button5.jpg

Col Mustard

Reaction score
The "vintage keystone" tuners don't look cheap and plasticky...
Stock tuners get a lot of flack, but they always seem fine to me
and there are tens of thousands of them out there rocking and rolling with no problems at all.
They are traditional. Speaking strictly about appearances they simply
look right (to me anyway) and some of the best (and most expensive) guitars in the world are equipped with them. This includes Les Pauls as well as Gibson ES- series guitars AND SGs. That's the truth.

FEEL however is another thing.
Nobody can tell you something's right if it doesn't feel right.
...hmmm, there's a song there I believe...

For one reason or another many of us have swapped out the tuners on our Gibsons. You can too. But don't mount Grover Rotomatic tuners on an SG. They are too heavy and will upset the balance.
There are many many better alternatives.... some made by Grover if you like that brand. I don't recommend locking tuners either, for the
same reason... too heavy.

Grover Rotomatic tuners USED TO BE among the best you could get
but since they are now made in China they are no better than any other gears. No reason to mount them on your SG other than personal preference. If you must have Rotomatics, I recommend you change the tuner buttons and get rid of SOME of the weight.

Alternate tuner buttons for Grover Rotomatics are often made from plastic (of course) but some are made of wood. You can get ebony.
That's lighter than solid metal, and looks really cool IMHO.
Black tuners, man... I wanted those as soon as I saw them, prolly on some old Goth guitar. Those are ultra cool to my eye.

Here's what I did: I swapped my snot-green tuners for a similar set
made by TonePros, not because my Vintage Keystone tuners were no good, but simply because I wanted black buttons. Those are the coolest tuners I've ever seen on a Gibson IMHO.
They run smooth and feel great. TonePros and Gotoh also make them for Epiphone guitars. They work fine and don't upset the balance.
Whole guitar_perspective@100.jpg
Headstock@100.jpg
IMG_1104@100.jpeg
IMG_1110@100.jpeg

Last edited:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
+1 to the above. the "best" anything is the one that serves your purpose and meets your desires. Use what you like full stop, just be sure the nut is properly fitted if you want tuning stability. I have never seen tuners that were the source of tuning problems. I have seen some I like better than others, but my opinions don't always match those around me, so there is that...

Carrion

Reaction score
and there are tens of thousands of them out there rocking and rolling with no problems at all.
look right (to me anyway) and some of the best (and most expensive) guitars in the world are equipped with them. This includes Les Pauls as well as Gibson ES- series guitars AND SGs. That's the truth.

For one reason or another many of us have swapped out the tuners on our Gibsons. You can too. But don't mount Grover Rotomatic tuners on an SG. They are too heavy and will upset the balance.
There are many many better alternatives.... some made by Grover if you like that brand. I don't recommend locking tuners either, for the

but since they are now made in China they are no better than any other gears. No reason to mount them on your SG other than personal preference. If you must have Rotomatics, I recommend you change the tuner buttons and get rid of SOME of the weight.

Alternate tuner buttons for Grover Rotomatics are often made from plastic (of course) but some are made of wood. You can get ebony.
Black tuners, man... I wanted those as soon as I saw them, prolly on some old Goth guitar. Those are ultra cool to my eye.

made by TonePros, not because my Vintage Keystone tuners were no good, but simply because I wanted black buttons. Those are the coolest tuners I've ever seen on a Gibson IMHO.
They run smooth and feel great. TonePros and Gotoh also make them for Epiphone guitars. They work fine and don't upset the balance.
View attachment 47718
View attachment 47719
View attachment 47720
View attachment 47721

i disagree, My 2018 Gibson SG "61" came factory with Grover locking tuners, i don't feel they are too heavy , nor do i have any neck dive.

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 11

Carrion

Reaction score

View attachment 47718
View attachment 47719
View attachment 47720
View attachment 47721
i like the black tulips :)

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Carrion that's great! And that's a beautiful SG too...
if your Grover tuners were factory issued,
then we'd expect Gibson to set up the strap buttons so that the guitar balances. And if yours balances, then the factory did their job.
That's the way it ought to be IMHO.
Angus-Young-devil.jpg
angus 1.jpg
anguis 2.jpg
So much for neck dive, eh? It doesn't happen on every SG.
Angus obviously has no trouble. And that also is the way it ought
to be. Note that Angus uses snot green tuners like so many thousands of others.

I believe that players get in trouble when they throw out their stock tuners because somebody on some internet site wrote that Gibson tuners are crap... and only Grover Rotomatics will do.

People say this even though it isn't true. The Grover reputation was well earned in the 20th century. But that's old news. Myself, I have put Grover Rotomatics on several guitars to replace old and worn or foreign made gears. On three guitars they gave great service and are still in service... somewhere. TWICE I had to remove them again... once on a Telecaster and once on a Martin 0-17.

It all comes down to balance. If they are too heavy, they are no fun.
If they make your guitar neck dive, they are useless.
Plus there are so many excellent alternatives, Rotomatics no longer deserve to be so revered IMHO.

Last edited:

Sootio

Reaction score
I'm fine with either one. I always change the ones with the little white dots.