Do Grovers look "right" on an SG?

papagayo

Reaction score
The best tuners for the SG , KLUSON Revolution.
They are very light, classic design with new technology, 1/19 high ratio and smooth knobs. Tuning the guitar is a pleasure.

SG Standard TBK 52.jpg

If you want the real authentic style choose a set of Schaller G Double Ring

Gibson SG '61 Proprietary 27.JPG

Demon Dave

Reaction score
I replaced the mini e tune on my 2013 standard, with a set of grover rotomatics. No problems at all

Attachments

• 67CC9F50-BC51-4108-BE07-CBD5BE27B98E.jpeg
    67CC9F50-BC51-4108-BE07-CBD5BE27B98E.jpeg
    749.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 8778D26C-C051-464D-AEFE-7A469FDFB63A.jpeg
    8778D26C-C051-464D-AEFE-7A469FDFB63A.jpeg
    450.3 KB · Views: 9

Carrion

Reaction score
Carrion that's great! And that's a beautiful SG too...
if your Grover tuners were factory issued,
then we'd expect Gibson to set up the strap buttons so that the guitar balances. And if yours balances, then the factory did their job.
That's the way it ought to be IMHO.
View attachment 47724
View attachment 47725
View attachment 47726
So much for neck dive, eh? It doesn't happen on every SG.
Angus obviously has no trouble. And that also is the way it ought
to be. Note that Angus uses snot green tuners like so many thousands of others.

I believe that players get in trouble when they throw out their stock tuners because somebody on some internet site wrote that Gibson tuners are crap... and only Grover Rotomatics will do.

People say this even though it isn't true. The Grover reputation was well earned in the 20th century. But that's old news. Myself, I have put Grover Rotomatics on several guitars to replace old and worn or foreign made gears. On three guitars they gave great service and are still in service... somewhere. TWICE I had to remove them again... once on a Telecaster and once on a Martin 0-17.

It all comes down to balance. If they are too heavy, they are no fun.
If they make your guitar neck dive, they are useless.
Plus there are so many excellent alternatives, Rotomatics no longer deserve to be so revered IMHO.
TY !!!

Carrion

Reaction score
I like the Schaller shape like Gibson used in the 70's.. I just put these Gotoh's with Ivoroid Schaller style buttons on a SG Standard. But Grovers look ok too. Just wanted to share another option.
IMG-20220402-203920772.jpg
i like them !!

Col Mustard

Reaction score
jah, there are PLENTY of options
to using Grover Rotomatic tuners.

Rotomatics are great on many guitars, but
not on an SG IMHO.

MR D

Reaction score
IF IF IF, You go for locking Tuning Machines...I've another vote for the Kluson 'REVOLUTIONS'.... 19:1 ratio deliver the FINEST Tuning and BAD-A$$ looking w/Chrome buttons (you can get Nickel, Chrome or Plastic/Pearloid) too.......I put two sets of REVOLUTION's on a couple of newer SG Standards and they are just as good as the Locking Grovers that came STOCK on the 2017 SG Standard...and they lighter too !
All my Les Pauls have Grover tuners, kidney bean buttons, aged nickle. I don't like the stock Tulip Klusons, always feel cheap and plasticy...

I got another SG last week, its got those terrible snot green tuners on it, that feel cheap.

I have a few sets of Grovers here, really thinking about installing them, but I'm just not convinced its gonna look right. Also worried about the additional weight tipping this well balanced guitar into a neck diver. A friends Epi SG has Grovers on it, it can be a wild ride if you don't keep an eye on it, lol..

I know I can find better tuners that look stock, my USA SG 61 has the upgraded Tone Pros Klusons on it, they are much better tuners. I still don't like the look though!

Anyone add Grovers to their SG and keep them on?
I had a set of GROVER 'Keystones' in Nickel on a '70's SG Standard and they were fuckin GREAT ! Never even thought of changing them.......I have not seen them on an SG in quite a while.....

The Kluson 'REVOLUTION's are just AWESOME in every way.

BUT, I'd have to say that if you can get, or already have, a set of the GROVER 'Keystones' (Nickel) TM's that they are probably the only other Tuning Machines I would put on the BAD-A$$ besides the 'REVOLUTIONS'. Grover might even have them as 'LOCKING' now too !

Last edited:

pancake81

Reaction score
Carrion that's great! And that's a beautiful SG too...
if your Grover tuners were factory issued,
then we'd expect Gibson to set up the strap buttons so that the guitar balances. And if yours balances, then the factory did their job.
That's the way it ought to be IMHO.
View attachment 47724
View attachment 47725
View attachment 47726
So much for neck dive, eh? It doesn't happen on every SG.
Angus obviously has no trouble. And that also is the way it ought
to be. Note that Angus uses snot green tuners like so many thousands of others.

I believe that players get in trouble when they throw out their stock tuners because somebody on some internet site wrote that Gibson tuners are crap... and only Grover Rotomatics will do.

People say this even though it isn't true. The Grover reputation was well earned in the 20th century. But that's old news. Myself, I have put Grover Rotomatics on several guitars to replace old and worn or foreign made gears. On three guitars they gave great service and are still in service... somewhere. TWICE I had to remove them again... once on a Telecaster and once on a Martin 0-17.

It all comes down to balance. If they are too heavy, they are no fun.
If they make your guitar neck dive, they are useless.
Plus there are so many excellent alternatives, Rotomatics no longer deserve to be so revered IMHO.

Angus also rocks all kinds of tuners on his guitars. Here is his number 1 with Grover’s, his famous SG custom also rocks the Grover’s.

The SG is not a perfectly balanced guitar. So whether you have Grover’s or klusons, it’s not perfect. So peoples thoughts are that you stick with the lighter ones to not add to the problem.. in either case, a proper strap is all you need. I have Grover’s and klusons, no neck dive, no problems. Go with what works best for you, or at least was pleased you aesthetically.

Looks like Grover’s are dominating the guitar rack in this photos

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Angus also rocks all kinds of tuners on his guitars. Here is his number 1 with Grover’s, his famous SG custom also rocks the Grover’s.

The SG is not a perfectly balanced guitar. So whether you have Grover’s or klusons, it’s not perfect. So peoples thoughts are that you stick with the lighter ones to not add to the problem.. in either case, a proper strap is all you need. I have Grover’s and klusons, no neck dive, no problems. Go with what works best for you, or at least was pleased you aesthetically.

Looks like Grover’s are dominating the guitar rack in this photos

The first 2 pictures don't appear to be " Kidney bean shaped button type Grovers" how can you tell they are Grovers from the front views?

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
TDA, I have learned to spot certain details over the years of following in the footsteps of quite detail oriented and way better experts than myself in regards to guitars, amps, wiring, schematics, mods or not etc.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Not a fan of kidney beans on any guitar. The shape of the tuner buttons causes great discomfort to my eyes.

All Parts sells metal keystone buttons to replace kidney bean buttons on Grover Rotomatics.

On an SG, the Gibson Deluxe tuners have always worked fine for me. Grover 135N are exact replacements at half the cost of the Gibson Deluxe tuners if they ever need to be replaced in the event they get bent or fall apart.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Not a fan of kidney beans on any guitar. The shape of the tuner buttons causes great discomfort to my eyes.

All Parts sells metal keystone buttons to replace kidney bean buttons on Grover Rotomatics.

On an SG, the Gibson Deluxe tuners have always worked fine for me. Grover 135N are exact replacements at half the cost of the Gibson Deluxe tuners if they ever need to be replaced in the event they get bent or fall apart.
AH HA, CB, you ROCK....... AGAIN ! U say A.P. has 'Keystone' Buttons that will go onto the Locking Grovers that came as the STOCK TM's on the 2017 SG Standards, yes? AWRIGHT !!! I've not a problem with the Kidney Beaners, per se, BUT BUT BUT I would love to get my hands on a set of the 'Keystone' buttons, for senti-MENTAL reasons. I haven't seen them in a long time, 5 years easy, SINCE I SOLD THE OL' '70'S SG STANDARD....imma Droolin' already.

Demon Dave

Reaction score
jah, there are PLENTY of options
to using Grover Rotomatic tuners.

Rotomatics are great on many guitars, but
not on an SG IMHO.
Respect for your knowledge, but I have any problems with rotomatics on my standard. The guitar stays in tune, the balance is ok, and the nickel matching the pickup. I can’t ask more :smile: (just my 2 cent)

pancake81

Reaction score
The first 2 pictures don't appear to be " Kidney bean shaped button type Grovers" how can you tell they are Grovers from the front views?

I was going from memory on the specs I had written down through my research. Wrong on both counts, number 1 and the custom had schallers, at least from what I documented.

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
Grover with plastic cream knobs, that makee a noticeable weight difference. Looks nice too!

Temp 47963.JPG

pancake81

Reaction score

Obviously one can not see that actual tuner, but for me the Kidney beans usually correlate to Grovers and the metal tulip type to Schaller's. One could swap the tuners I believe, but 9/10 times I feel they come back appropriately.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Obviously one can not see that actual tuner, but for me the Kidney beans usually correlate to Grovers and the metal tulip type to Schaller's. One could swap the tuners I believe, but 9/10 times I feel they come back appropriately.
Kidney Bean and Metal Keystones are Grovers.

The LP Traditional Pro has the locking Grover Rotomatics with metal keystones as stock tuners.

The Schaller buttons are shaped like footballs with flat edges on the ends instead of points.

The Tony Iommi SG Special that I had came from the factory with Schaller buttons installed on Grover Rotomatics.

pancake81

Reaction score
Kidney Bean and Metal Keystones are Grovers.

The LP Traditional Pro has the locking Grover Rotomatics with metal keystones as stock tuners.

The Schaller buttons are shaped like footballs with flat edges on the ends instead of points.

The Tony Iommi SG Special that I had came from the factory with Schaller buttons installed on Grover Rotomatics.
Yeah for sure some unique match-ups out there, and by no means am I a guru on this topic. For me when I see kidney bean tuners from the front, I usually find Grover's on the back.

The football with flat ends (as you described it) , yes, Schaller's.

I additionally probably use the "tulip" reference wrong, and additionally the "keystone" tuner keys I see on both grover and schaller. Unless i am just not that knowledgeable yet. I am open to learn, help me out folks

Kidlney Bean Grovers:

Flat Football Schaller's

Schaller’s:

Keystone - Grover vs Schaller…

Much the same shape to me. Set me straight folks.

The schaller M6 looks so similar to the Grover keystone to me; in regards to the tuning head

Last edited:

Latest posts