Do Grovers look "right" on an SG?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
page after page of tuner buttons...WHEW! *grins

Here's the truth folks: If you want the best tuning keys, get a set of Waverly tuners.
Waverlys have always been the best. They aren't cheap, but they aren't heavy either.
Perfect for your prized SG, using a bushing.

My Gibson J-45 AG came stock with mini-Grover rotomatic tuners. They worked fine but
I took them off in favor of these beauties. I wanted black buttons. You can get black buttons
for a set of regurlar Rotomatics, but the Waverly tuners were available with Ebony.
I had to pop for the set, because I love this Gibson guitar. For me it was like buying a
lovely dress for a beautiful woman...gilding the lily/
headstock@100.jpg
Waverly Tuners@100.jpg
Another truth: nobody looks at the tuners, except maybe the owner of the guitar.
So whether Rotomatics "look right" on an SG is entirely aesthetic on the part of the OP.
Lots of fine gears recommended here...
you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.
Any and all of them will keep your guitar in tune.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
page after page of tuner buttons...WHEW! *grins

Here's the truth folks: If you want the best tuning keys, get a set of Waverly tuners.
Waverlys have always been the best. They aren't cheap, but they aren't heavy either.
Perfect for your prized SG, using a bushing.

My Gibson J-45 AG came stock with mini-Grover rotomatic tuners. They worked fine but
I took them off in favor of these beauties. I wanted black buttons. You can get black buttons
for a set of regurlar Rotomatics, but the Waverly tuners were available with Ebony.
I had to pop for the set, because I love this Gibson guitar. For me it was like buying a
lovely dress for a beautiful woman...gilding the lily/
View attachment 47792
View attachment 47793
Another truth: nobody looks at the tuners, except maybe the owner of the guitar.
So whether Rotomatics "look right" on an SG is entirely aesthetic on the part of the OP.
Lots of fine gears recommended here...
you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.
Any and all of them will keep your guitar in tune.

COL,

I would say those look like fine tuners and classy black buttons. Your J45 seems to have had 1 hole OEM mini Grovers as you said. I looks like wood fillers were expertly done in those 1 hole spots?

I like to maintain original holes when choosing replacement tuners. Having said this, I have only replaced 2 sets of tuners since my first conversion from OEM Gib Kluson ones on my first 79 LP when I was 20 ish, vs my SG's that needed them. When I bought my 08 Classic, it had the snot green Klusons. My 89 SG Special 3 knob, had the green ones too, but age had gotten them worn inside and loose for poor tuning stability. So, I bought a set of White button Klusons to put on the Classic, and swapped the reliable Keystone Snot green ones onto the 89 SG as a like kind OEM repair.

Last edited:

pancake81

Reaction score
I am really not a hear head (pun intended). And I have a few pairs of Grover’s, 1 set of Schaller’s and one set of klusson green keys. They all work great to me, I never notice the difference. The Schaller’s seem the most sensitive and stiff if I had to point something out.

Last edited:

TDA1966

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Gotoh. SG301's on the SG and SG381's on the Washburn USA
IMG-20220410-230613911-2-2.jpg

IMG-20220410-173404828-2.jpg

IMG-20220408-182340424.jpg

IMG-20220402-204046622.jpg

Last edited:

metalhed76

Reaction score
i disagree, My 2018 Gibson SG "61" came factory with Grover locking tuners, i don't feel they are too heavy , nor do i have any neck dive.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with Grover tuners... I know by SN I have a 2018, but the seller had almost no info to share otherwise, so I wasn't sure if it was modded, or what... seems okay, to me, as well. But man -- everywhere I looked online (except right Here), everybody had those ivory (or green, or greenish-ivory...) tuner knobs. Whew! My SG ain't some mutant, haha.

metalhed76

Reaction score
i disagree, My 2018 Gibson SG "61" came factory with Grover locking tuners, i don't feel they are too heavy , nor do i have any neck dive.

Attachments

• IMG_20220910_180837577.jpg
    IMG_20220910_180837577.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 3

rabbit

Reaction score
I'm ok with the variety of options on most any element, except for the NUT.
For me a brass or dark nut just seems wrong (visually).

3bolt79

Reaction score
My 22 SG Standard has the non-locking Grovers. I rather like them.

64Tele

Reaction score
I had a LP Special '55 RI back in mid 70's, and it came with the Kluson tuners (so even that wasn't "accurate").
I put Grovers on it back in late 70's, cause that was a popular improvement (or perceived improvement) at the time.
They looked good on the guitar (prob better than the Klusons) and worked well.
I have a 61 SG Standard w/Maestro and Klusons and they work well/look good and I'd be hard pressed for a reason to change them out.

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
My 2015 SG Standard came with Grovers with cream pearloid knobs. Luckily, no robotuner was ever fitted.

smitty_p

Reaction score
All my Les Pauls have Grover tuners, kidney bean buttons, aged nickle. I don't like the stock Tulip Klusons, always feel cheap and plasticy...

I got another SG last week, its got those terrible snot green tuners on it, that feel cheap.

I have a few sets of Grovers here, really thinking about installing them, but I'm just not convinced its gonna look right. Also worried about the additional weight tipping this well balanced guitar into a neck diver. A friends Epi SG has Grovers on it, it can be a wild ride if you don't keep an eye on it, lol..

I know I can find better tuners that look stock, my USA SG 61 has the upgraded Tone Pros Klusons on it, they are much better tuners. I still don't like the look though!

Anyone add Grovers to their SG and keep them on?

Well...what does and does not look "right" is entirely subjective.

Gibson has installed both styles on SGs over the years.

There may be some practical reasons why some are preferred. I am very much impressed with the Kluson Revolutions, so I gotta give a vote to those. But, I also prefer nickel keystones to the plastic. That may be because my first SG (my 1974) came with nickel keystones. Right now, it has the Grover auto-locking mini rotomatics.

My 2014 SG has the original plastic keystones. No intention of replacing those, however.

The real question is not what any of us think looks right on YOUR guitar.

What do YOU think looks right on your guitar?

MR D

Reaction score
Well...what does and does not look "right" is entirely subjective.

Gibson has installed both styles on SGs over the years.

There may be some practical reasons why some are preferred. I am very much impressed with the Kluson Revolutions, so I gotta give a vote to those. But, I also prefer nickel keystones to the plastic. That may be because my first SG (my 1974) came with nickel keystones. Right now, it has the Grover auto-locking mini rotomatics.

My 2014 SG has the original plastic keystones. No intention of replacing those, however.

The real question is not what any of us think looks right on YOUR guitar.

What do YOU think looks right on your guitar?
BIG BIG BIG thumbs up for the Kluson REVOLUTIONS, I put them on my 2 SG's a Standard & an Original purchases......BEST timing machines I've ever purchased ......the Mini Grovers are damn good too !I got them on a Firebird and an Explorer w/no plans to swap 'em out.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
I think Smitty hit the nail on the head there. Only you can say what looks or feels right on your instrument. Personally, I like the Grovers I have used in the past and think they look fine. I am also not inclined to prefer one type, shape, or material for the tuning knobs. Use what you like, for whatever reason you like.

Latest posts