Epi LP, not SG, apologies, question

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
I just replaced the pickups and pots on my new Epi LP and I'm getting a ground hum I can't trace.

I checked all the usual things, nuked the solder joints to the pot casing with my Weller "ray gun" soldering iron, checked the bridge and everything else is grounded, which it is.

It's a mild hum,nothing ear shattering, and it goes away when I touch the strings.

There are, however, two "mystery wires" that disappear off into the body somewhere. One is red coated, the other green. What are these wires for?

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
Pictures please. And which Epi? There are about a dozen variations, with different wiring.

plankton

Reaction score
Yes, pictures of the cavity would be good. Not sure about your two "mystery wires".

A bit of hum is normal though when you're holding the guitar. The human body is a pretty good antenna for RFI, and when you touch the strings, or any metal part that is grounded, you ground yourself and the hum goes away. You can decrease the hum even more by doing a really good job of shielding the cavity, but I usually don't bother.

Latest posts