Epiphone Wilshire P90

SG Firebird

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought an Epiphone Wilshire P90. I've been wanting a Wilshire with P90s for about 30 years. The last time one of these was offered as a reissue it was by Gibson, and it cost an obscene amount of money (I think in the neighborhood of $3000). So when Epiphone reissued this guitar last year, and priced it under $500, I pounced. I'd been wanting to convert my SG to Firebird pickups, but didn't want to give up the P90s (I had previously converted the SG to P90s). So within a few days of getting the Wilshire, I pretty much gutted the pickups and wiring and installed the Wolfetone (Mean & Meaner) pickups out of my SG and redid the wiring to 1950's style Les Paul. I have to say, I was shocked at how good this guitar looks sounds and plays. I don't use the word "spectacular" to describe many things but this guitar is spectacular. This guitar is light weight, resonant, it's got a chunky neck. It has no business being this good for the price point. I did play it for a few days with stock pickups and they were pretty decent, but the Wolfetones had to come out of the SG anyway.

So here's a pic, because every one likes pics.

20211016-101056.jpg

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Gibson didn’t care about these until Satellite Amps built a Coronet.
I’m glad you got a good one.
A friend of mine had a 60’s Coronet that weighed in at 5 1/2 lbs. it was a Gibson killer.

Last edited:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Very cool guitar, and a new one on me. Learn something new every day.

SG Firebird

Reaction score
The neck is chunky by my standards, every other electric guitar I own (except my 62 VRI Strat), has a slim taper neck, this one's C shaped, but not a lot of depth. It's not a baseball bat neck by any standards, just chunkier than I'm used too.

SG Firebird

Reaction score
Gibson didn’t care about these until Satellite Amps built a Coronet.
I’m glad you got a good one.
A friend of mine had a 60’s Coronet that weighed in at 5 1/2 lbs. it was a Gibson killer.

I just weighed the Wilshire, survey says,....6.2lbs.

SG Firebird

Reaction score

SG Firebird

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in the history of the first Epiphone solid body guitars, this is an excellent read. I would like to point out one error that I found, the pic they show of a 1959 Wilshire with P90s is incorrect, the first Wilshires had the bikini logo, like my guitar has. They had the bikini logo until 1960, then in 1961, they switched to the mother of pearl inlayed logo, similar to the way Gibson inlays their logo. Another thing I noticed from the guitar in the pic is the array of knobs/switch/jack, the array shown is from 1961/1962 as as well. So the guitar in the pic is a 1961/1962 Wilshire.

https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2016/02/epiphone-solidbody-guitars.html

Last edited:

SG Firebird

Reaction score
I was going to post a pic of a 1959 Wilshire but couldn't find any, this is the next best thing, 1960 Wilshire, note the bikini logo and different knob/switch configuration (the selector switch is behind the stop tail piece).

1960-epiphone-wilshire-cherry.jpg

epiphone-wilshire-1960-cherry-red-1

Last edited:

SG Firebird

Reaction score
I absolutely love white guitars, if they made a stop tailpiece version of the Crestwood I'd be all over it.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
My 2006 Wilshire
Whole guitar 02-14-12_4x@100.jpg
heavily modded with tone pros black bridge, Gibson 490 neck p'up and
Stewmac's "Golden Age" overwound p'up in the bridge, tusq nut, Grover
locking tuners, Stewmac wiring harness...

an excellent guitar. I unfortunately sold mine. it weighed about 7 pounds, had a very slim sixties neck and was an absolute cannon.
490s Rear View@100.jpg
the guy I sold it too is very happy.
Johnny Winter played one, so did Wayne Kramer with MC-5
220px-JohnnyWinter1969.jpg 24119938692_35804db529_o.jpg
MC 5.jpg

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
That's Fred "Sonic" Smith with the Wilshire, Wayne is in the foreground with his famous American flag strat. Huge MC5 fan here. Intersting story on Sonic's Epi. He gave it to Deniz Tek an Australian living in Detroit after the 5 broke up. That Aussie went back to the land down under and started one of Australia's first punk bands, Radio Birdman. He is almost never pictured with anything other than Sonic's old Epi.

Denis Tek .jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts