Finally got a Vintage G400

plankton

Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for a cherry Vintage for awhile now and one finally popped up for a reasonable price. It's in pretty good nick for an almost 20 y.o. guitar. After a string change and setup it plays fantastically and might become my new #1. It's got the 57/HOTCH combo which I dislike so they'll have to go, and it needs some mods in the electronics as well to replace a dodgy pot and give me the control I want, but I'm very impressed. These Korean models deserve the reputation they've got. Mine was built in October 2002 at the Unsung factory. Some pics:

upoSTZP.jpg

Nbnzua7.jpg

TBnSwrt.jpg

8N6WFA9.jpg

h6lOvuT.jpg

ewIFVqT.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for a cherry Vintage for awhile now and one finally popped up for a reasonable price. It's in pretty good nick for an almost 20 y.o. guitar. After a string change and setup it plays fantastically and might become my new #1. It's got the 57/HOTCH combo which I dislike so they'll have to go, and it needs some mods in the electronics as well to replace a dodgy pot and give me the control I want, but I'm very impressed. These Korean models deserve the reputation they've got. Mine was built in October 2002 at the Unsung factory. Some pics:

upoSTZP.jpg

Nbnzua7.jpg

TBnSwrt.jpg

8N6WFA9.jpg

h6lOvuT.jpg

ewIFVqT.jpg
Oh yeah ! Good find ! You've got an early one. I hadn't seen any 2002 up to now.
Pretty clean glue free tenon. Some over spilled glue on mine.

If you can put your hand on a set of legit Probuckers, that's what I have in mine and they sound fabulous.

plankton

Reaction score
I've got an SG copy that I'm going to sell now that I've got the Vintage. The plan is to take the pickups out of it and put back the originals. Then I'm going to try them in the Vintage first since I've already got them, an A2 PAF type bridge and an A5 HB size P90 in the neck.

The current collection, the black one is the J&D Luthiers copy that's going.

1vizcdK.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
If you'd like the finish shiny, it is very easy to bring it there and it really enhances the grain and saturates the cherry red.

Before & after
avant-après.jpg
170430 3-.jpg

laza616

Reaction score
I thought they started producing these in 2003. This is very cool, i have never seen 2002 before.
Cavities on this guitar look so fine. Great job
Definitely not a friday afternoon guitar

Put some lemon oil on the fretboard, looks dry from the photos
Good point about swapping for that black SG, i would let that black one go as well.

Happy NGD. Very good purchase, congratulations

plankton

Reaction score
I finally got some time to rewire the Vintage. I used all new Alpha pots but recycled the original switch and jack. Put treble bleeds on both volume controls and a master bass cut control in the neck tone spot. It sounds fantastic!

Only thing left to do is probably the nut, the tuning stability could be better and the open low E string buzzes a bit.

I'm not sure if I want a polished finish or not. There is an area that is already shiny from someone's arm over the years. I was thinking of trying to bring it back to the "worn" finish, but maybe I'll polish the whole thing.

plankton

Reaction score
I thought they started producing these in 2003. This is very cool, i have never seen 2002 before.
Cavities on this guitar look so fine. Great job
Definitely not a friday afternoon guitar

Put some lemon oil on the fretboard, looks dry from the photos
Good point about swapping for that black SG, i would let that black one go as well.

Happy NGD. Very good purchase, congratulations

The first year they were sold was 2003, but they would have been producing them for at least a few months leading up to that.

I'm very happy with this guitar, it's a real player for sure. I think it's going to become my #1.

dub-setter

Reaction score
noice..
if u want to change the nut, maybe a tusq nut will do,
or even better a bone one.

i changed mine right after recieving my 61 er custom,
and it stays in tune like a charm.

Last edited:

DanB

Reaction score
Congrats on your new acquisition. Its a lovely looking guitar. Hope you get plenty of enjoyment from it