Gibson SG headstock Logo and Crown alignment

Mitchey75

Reaction score
4 current Standards at Sweetwater: 3 crowns nearly similar, 1 way off...

Same for 4 current SG Modern at Sweetwater: BUT 3 crowns high, 1 crown low

Attachments

• SGCrown2.jpg
    SGCrown2.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 6

MR D

Reaction score
It's a side effect of "Neck Dive Trauma Syndrome". Perhaps now we need to add "Crown Placement Dysphoria" to the physician's desk reference here... :naughty:
You already have 'WITHDRAWALS', yes? If not...add 'em....its when you don't, well, you know..... get your hands on your SG for a few days....OMG !!! Start goin insane, freeze your ass off ....the usual, ugh !

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
RIGHT AGAIN C.B., HOLY SHIZZLE !

QUESTION: ?

Have you ever bought a new guitar w/EBONY FRET-BOARD where the fretboard seemed to have a thin 'SKIN' type FILM on the top of the board? I have seen/OWNED Rosewood Fretrboards that a while after buying them had the 'WHITE' oily substance come out of it, u kno? BUT this Ebony FretBoard that is on a new FLYING 'V' '70's Tribute had what seemed to be like a coarse Black skin on it and as I was putting a light coat of Linseed oil on it the 1st time I set the Guitar up....the substance started to come off the Fretboard....I thought IT WAS WEIRD (and that I might be fuckin up the fretboard, LOL !!!) as I had never seen anything like it, but I gotta tell ya that in a few places where the 'Film/Substance' came off it revealed a really beautiful Dark 'Striping' underneath it. The Board was really Dark Black and coarse as I'd never felt before when I got the guitar new from the GIBSION Nashville factory DIRECT !! and after the 'Film/Substance' came came off of the board it was/is really smooth and beautiful with the 'Stripping' effect only in one or two places and is visible only in the right light/angle.......otherwise the Ebony is a nice rich dark almost completely BLACK colour..Just how I like an Ebony fretBoard to look, u kno ?...AND.....the Guitar itself is an OMG......A FRIKKIN MONSTER !!! FOR SHIZZLE, it really is an impressive BEAST !

The ones with ebony board that I had in the past I always purchased second hand. Never noticed any film on the surface of the board.

MR D

Reaction score
The ones with ebony board that I had in the past I always purchased second hand. Never noticed any film on the surface of the board.
This Flying 'V' was less than 2 months out of the stamping press when I got it NEW from Nashville Directly. I have never seen anything like the Ebony Fret-board on this guitar......and the 'SKIN' or whatever it is called/was?..... IDK...and it only came off in a few spots and underneath it revealed beauty of a board....This must have been a freshly made board and maybe an outer layer of wood? IDK, as Its only the 4th or 5th Ebony Board I've bought and I am surely not an Ebony wood expert. When the stuff started coming off as I wiped some linseed oil on it.....I got worried.... but then I saw what was underneath.WOW, too bad I am unable to post pics.

I haven't even tried to post a picture on this site in months as its just impossible with my devices, happened all of a sudden too....one day, nope, no more postin' pics for me.'File too big' 'we have a problem' etc ....FFS !

Did you ever see the WHITE oil come out of a new Rosewood 'Board C.B. ? ...that is apparently pretty common on the Indian rosewood, so I hear N E WAY !

skelt101

Reaction score
This Flying 'V' was less than 2 months out of the stamping press when I got it NEW from Nashville Directly. I have never seen anything like the Ebony Fret-board on this guitar......and the 'SKIN' or whatever it is called/was?..... IDK...and it only came off in a few spots and underneath it revealed beauty of a board....This must have been a freshly made board and maybe an outer layer of wood? IDK, as Its only the 4th or 5th Ebony Board I've bought and I am surely not an Ebony wood expert. When the stuff started coming off as I wiped some linseed oil on it.....I got worried.... but then I saw what was underneath.WOW, too bad I am unable to post pics.

I haven't even tried to post a picture on this site in months as its just impossible with my devices, happened all of a sudden too....one day, nope, no more postin' pics for me.'File too big' 'we have a problem' etc ....FFS !

Did you ever see the WHITE oil come out of a new Rosewood 'Board C.B. ? ...that is apparently pretty common on the Indian rosewood, so I hear N E WAY !
Are you sure your Flying V has an ebony fretboard, @MR D ? I thought they were spec’d out for rosewood… (Mine sure looks to be rosewood.) Perhaps the factory put something on the fingerboard to darken it a bit before shipping. :hmm:

MR D

Reaction score
Are you sure your Flying V has an ebony fretboard, @MR D ? I thought they were spec’d out for rosewood… (Mine sure looks to be rosewood.) Perhaps the factory put something on the fingerboard to darken it a bit before shipping. :hmm:
Bro, Is your Fret-Board dark black ? IDK, if GIBSON USA added something to it..... I doubt it, this is a dark black fret-board.....When I bought the Flying V the spec sheet said 'Ebony', now the price is $500 more than when it was released and NOW the on-line spec sheet sez 'Rosewood', but this is too dark to be Rosewood ? The present on-line spec sheet is a different one, the format that is, than what I screen shot. I took a screenshot of the on-line spec sheet when I bought it....its in one of my machines, somewhere.....of course I cant find it but, have yet to really take a good look for it........ I wouldn't be able to post a picture even if I do/did find it.....I got the Flying V for $2199, two days after GIBSON USA upped the price from $1999 to $2199 and considering what is happening to the currency..and the fact that its $2499 now.....its worth it ?

Either way, the Guitar is a MONSTER.......it surely is, I knew it as soon as I picked it up ! The fret-board could be made from teakwood and I probably wouldn't know it.......U know? I'm not a Botanist or member of the TREE SOCIETY, LOL !!! Imma see if I can find that spec sheet screenshot.......and fork if I know what that stuff was that came off of the fret-board other than it was part of the Fret-Board for sure.

Clarification:
the Flying V was stamped of June 20, 2021....21701, from the headstock #....I got it October 4, 2021, so it was actually 3.75 months after it got stamped that I received it, not 2 months as I mentioned previously....I took a brief look and found the pics of the day it arrived but not the spec sheet. From the box it arrived in: The model # is DSVSOOCWCH1 , for 'Designer Series', Flying V IDK wtf 'S O O' MEANS, the 'CW' is for the colour, 'CLASSIC WHITE' .....and 'CH' is for Chrome Hardware, and the 1 is for IDK WHAT ! so the wood species is/are not indicated in the model # (?) or anywhere on the box.

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Crowns don’t belong on SG Specials. The original SG Specials never had them.

As the years went by, SG Specials got bastardized with feature changes such as the change to unbound necks, P-90’s replaced by Mini Humbuckers and Humbuckers, Wraparound Bridge changed to TOM bridge with tailpiece, headstock logo changed from inlay to silkscreen, gloss finish changed to unfilled grain with satin finish and finally a crown silkscreen added to the headstock.

Crowns were traditionally a headstock mark on the Standards, not on the Juniors, Specials, Customs.

Various monikers of the SG Special over the years...

SG Special
SG Classic
SG Special Faded
SG Faded
SG Tribute

The current production SG Special is an attempt to reissue the 1963 version, but the headstock logo is silkscreened instead of an inlay.

Last edited:

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I do love my SG specials...
No inlays, no binding, no problems...
April 2017 @ 100.jpeg
...well, this one does have small block inlays, but they are very well executed.
Satin Silverburst finish, I buffed it by hand using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.
The headstock was plain black when I bought it, with a plain black Truss Rod Cover.
so I ordered an ebony TRC with "Tribal Rose" inlay made of abalone and mother of pearl
and it suits me very well. I named this one Catalina. I bought her some black tuners...
Headstock@100.jpg
This just bypasses the whole issue of this thread, so IMHO it's a point in favor of the humble SG special.
I have another one...
Luna 2017*@100.jpg
This one's a faded special, and once again: no binding, no headstock inlay, no problem.
I really like the plain features of this one too, dot inlays made of acrylic and a silkscreened Gibson logo.
So I bought her a lovely ebony TRC with tribal blade inlays of abalone and MOP... This modest SG special
is actually the best guitar of any kind that I have ever played. I carved her P/G and switch washer by
hand, not because she needed any decorations but because I had bonded with her so. I named her Luna.