Gibson SG Standard 61 Question?

Mondoslug

Reaction score
Me me me meeeee.....again.

A few things happened, I went and played some guitars, a 2009 SG Standard & a 2016 SG Standard, both Ebony with Batwing guard. Both had bigger frets, the '16 was kinda over the top wide. Then I played a '21 Standard LP, nice guitar, it had smaller frets but they seemed to have more of a crown to 'em. The place was slamming and I didn't plug anything in, wasn't inspired to do so but I liked the frets more than on the Standard '61 I just got.

Dateline today, I decide to go full Angus mode and put some 9-42 Ernie Balls on, been a long time since I used that gauge. It's a little twangy but the guitar is a blast to play, I mean it is fun, no issue with the frets(to me) like this, easy to bend strings. I mean it is fun to play. I'm a little everywhere on it but I'll calm down. I'll probably up it to 9.5-44 which I had on some days ago but it wasn't quite as dialed in as it is now. So far so good. We'll see.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Me me me meeeee.....again.

A few things happened, I went and played some guitars, a 2009 SG Standard & a 2016 SG Standard, both Ebony with Batwing guard. Both had bigger frets, the '16 was kinda over the top wide. Then I played a '21 Standard LP, nice guitar, it had smaller frets but they seemed to have more of a crown to 'em. The place was slamming and I didn't plug anything in, wasn't inspired to do so but I liked the frets more than on the Standard '61 I just got.

Dateline today, I decide to go full Angus mode and put some 9-42 Ernie Balls on, been a long time since I used that gauge. It's a little twangy but the guitar is a blast to play, I mean it is fun, no issue with the frets(to me) like this, easy to bend strings. I mean it is fun to play. I'm a little everywhere on it but I'll calm down. I'll probably up it to 9.5-44 which I had on some days ago but it wasn't quite as dialed in as it is now. So far so good. We'll see.
I've been digging the hybrid strings sets for a while. The top three bass strings are from a set of 10s and the three plain strings are from a set of 9s.So they run 46w-36w-26w-16-11-9. You get the slightly bassier tone playing power chords but have the bending ease of a set 9s. I use Rotosound Oranges, but I think Ernie Ball offers a hybrid set as well. Check it out, it is a bit of the best of both worlds, IMHO.

Igonuts

Reaction score
Food for thought.
My '21 '61 std felt like the frets needed polishing. Had hang up scratchy feeling when bending. Especially on the non wound srings. So i did that. Still felt the same.
After polishing and taking close up pics b4 and after for comparison, i noted no real difference on frets in look or feel. But also noted a lack of crown.
Also noted that the rosewood board was very dry. I've since read that many say that bout the rosewood. So i used some mineral oil liberaly. Lets set for couple hours and wiped clean.
Now there still maybe a crown issue, but the playing after oil alone became very fast. I do a lot of bending and with my arthritis, everything counts. Keeping in mind, i'm old school. I use EB 8s. And these are plek'd for gibby 10s. :mad:. 8s i think can show issues with crowns mroe so as they can bend with a greater deflection next to a given fret. But oiling did a lot.

Conclusion (for me),
Me thinks that since oiling, if i had the frets crowned, this will be the first guit thats actually faster than i am.
Truth be told, thats not hard to do. Lol.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
While the difference in feel between 8's and 10's is significant, I would not expect the basic setup to be all that different with the possible exception of the nut slots. Even at that, going from 10's down to 8's should work fine, it would just be going up that could cause binding (tuning stability issues) if the nut slots were too small for the heavier strings.

Oiling the finger board is always good, and having the frets crowned may help as well. I think you are on the right track there. Maybe try and see if you can lower the bridge a little with the reduced overall string tension of 8's vs 10's. It isn't a lot of difference in all likelihood, but if you can only drop the action down a thousandth of an inch without kissing frets it may give a little "faster" feel as well.

Igonuts

Reaction score
While the difference in feel between 8's and 10's is significant, I would not expect the basic setup to be all that different with the possible exception of the nut slots. Even at that, going from 10's down to 8's should work fine, it would just be going up that could cause binding (tuning stability issues) if the nut slots were too small for the heavier strings.

Oiling the finger board is always good, and having the frets crowned may help as well. I think you are on the right track there. Maybe try and see if you can lower the bridge a little with the reduced overall string tension of 8's vs 10's. It isn't a lot of difference in all likelihood, but if you can only drop the action down a thousandth of an inch without kissing frets it may give a little "faster" feel as well.

Thinkin you were speakin at me?
I just think that from 10s to 8s (tho the op is only doing 9s), crown issues maybe more noticable. 8 gauge can bend/take a dive just b4 the fret thats significantly steeper than say 10s or heavier. Would show more so when bending strings.
I tune drop d so not much room for lowering as the low d tends to twang out of tune when playing.
I really cant do much as i'm blind in one eye. No depth preception. Really cant see much detail in a crowned fret. So i use process of ellimitation with dressing procedures to get things right. But crowning, i'd have to have a pro do that. Me too afraid. Take meat off, cant put back. Be my luck, end up with pointy frets. Lol.

More so, just wanted to mention to the op, that typical rosewood dry issues may contribute.

Mondoslug

Reaction score
Later that day…

I mean, I whined about the frets some & taller frets still wouldn’t hurt my feelings but I got used to it quickly and I could experiment with a different Bridge pickup at some point maybe but I dunno, it plays ridiculously good. It’s pretty much killer. You could probably lay the strings on the fretboard and It wouldn’t fret out. There's a lot to like about it & I do.

Carry on, nothing to see here. Thanks. :)