Gibson67-69... I think

Ryan G

Reaction score
My grandfather bought me this guitar for my 15th birthday. The gentleman who sold it to me said it was a 67. I have been doing some research and it is looking more like a 69. I was wondering if anyone had any insight. It would be much appreciated.

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
My grandfather bought me this guitar for my 15th birthday. The gentleman who sold it to me said it was a 67. I have been doing some research and it is looking more like a 69. I was wondering if anyone had any insight. It would be much appreciated.

Links are broken...

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
The dot missing over the "i" on the headstock logo is a feature of 1969.

If the dot is not missing, look at the pot codes, and if original, will indicate the earliest year the guitar was built.

Pot Code Format

137YYWW

137 = CTS
YY = Year
WW = Week

In addition, look at the neck heel joint.
They became more elongated at the end of the decade.

ted sg heaven

Reaction score

call gibson with the seral number and they will let you know the year if it is a 69 it is just before Norlin took over and it is worth some money , I have 2 p 90 dog ear pickups from 1965 if any one has the body and needs the pickups , for the sg jr or the sg with 2 p 90s

ted sg heaven

Reaction score
I have 2 p90 dog ear 1965 pickups if anyone is is doing a restoration the plastic on the outside is a little damaged outside black plastic dog ear tops

ted sg heaven

Reaction score
thank you all on this site I have many guitars but would you believe my 1970s Gibson sg1 has he fastest neck and sounds so good , SO I put a curly maple top on it and 2 emG James HEtfield pickups for recording , the pickups are really quiet and it responds alot like a regular pickup , the volume control I use to add more distortion for lead tones when I back it off I can still hear the pickups bark, I guess Seymour Duncan was good at making the best of both worlds so far but I still like my jb and my original gibson t top pickups on my 1974 Gibson Les Paul custom 20th anniversary and my Gibson Flying V I also have a set of the hotter 490 and 498 pickups , if you are into led Zeppelin like I am sure most of us are I got the wiring from 920 and bought the jimmy page plus with the Seymour Duncan whole lotta hum buckers and it sounds amazing, you can even et the Peter green sound quack in one of the settings if I had another sg I would suggest this set up because it really delivers top notch wiring and configuration 920 does a great job with only the best parts great people to work with also give them a idea of what you want and they do custom wiring for your guitar

Latest posts