Guitar center bankruptcy

Roca

Reaction score
Same thing here. It's a 45 minute trip to get anything. Guitar center is the closest but they can be frustrating. One time I wanted to buy a $50 Marshall amp. They wanted me to pay an additional $22 to have it shipped from their dallas store to their tulsa store for me to pick up.

jtees4

Reaction score
About a year ago, they opened a new GC near me. I was shocked because I was already hearing about their financial troubles, and my area does not seem to be big enough to support one. It is always empty, just didn't make sense to me why they'd be expanding while in financial trouble. Having said that, I browse there now and again, but have never really been a customer.....I use it to meet people with Craigslist sales....all the guitar players know where it is. Before the local one, I still used to meet at GC, only it was about 15 miles away.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Same thing here. It's a 45 minute trip to get anything. Guitar center is the closest but they can be frustrating. One time I wanted to buy a $50 Marshall amp. They wanted me to pay an additional $22 to have it shipped from their dallas store to their tulsa store for me to pick up.

I hope you told them where they could stick it very politely?

Musekatcher

Reaction score
They describe Gibson as the countries largest producer, and Guitar Center as the largest retailer - but, I've never seen many Gibsons at all, in any store, much less Guitar Center? I always see way more Fenders than Gibsons? How can Gibson be the largest producer?

iblive

Reaction score
Plummeting guitar sales? Maybe so. But just maybe the supply and demand thing kicked in. Maybe companies got greedy when demand was high and ramped up production. Demand drops back to a more normal level and bam! Too much product available.

Check Taylor. Last I checked they pretty much sell everything they produce per year. There have been times where certain models had a waiting list. On the surface it would appear they figured out how to balance supply based on demand. Part of why they continue to fetch a premium price for their higher end guitars.

But as for sales. I see Sweetwater continuing to expand. They seem to be doing ok. GC has had issues for years.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I know people hate GC, but I've always had a very good experience with the one near me (Birmingham, AL). Very knowledgeable and professional folks there.

I know it's rock and roll to shout down at these corporations, but GC made a lot of folks around here go out of business for good reason - the biggest store in town, Nuncies, would sell you strings for $40, Squier starter packs for $500, and heaven help you if you wanted to haggle a Fender down from 3 grand. Before GC, if you wanted something inexpensive, it was whatever you could find at a pawn shop or a yard sale.

Plan Zero

Reaction score
Yeah notice in one sentence the article claims Gibson as THE largest manufacturer then later names them as ONE of the biggest. Either way it's a love/hate thing with GC much like Wal-Mart. The problem will be when GC goes out of business no one will want to sell Gibsons unless they do a serious overhaul to their dealer policies. If Gibson makes it through their own financial problems there will be no one around to sell the instruments. Only so many customers feel confident enough to drop over $1k on a guitar they buy online and can't even play first.

Last edited:

rotorhead

Reaction score
Yeah notice in one sentence the article claims Gibson as the largest manufacturer then later names them as one of the biggest. Either way it's a love/hate thing with GC much like Wal-Mart. The problem will be when GC goes out of business no one will want to sell Gibsons unless they do a serious overhaul to their dealer policies. If Gibson makes it through their own financial problems there will be no one around to sell the instruments. Only so many customers feel confident enough to drop over $1k on a guitar they buy online and can't even play first.

So many truths in one paragraph.

Gibson is going to have to change their demands on their retailers, plain and simple. That's step one. GC tried to suck up and do it the Gibson way and it just didn't work.

I have a love/ hate thing with GC, most due to having two totally opposite experiences in two of their stores nearest me. Hopefully they can rebound but on the other hand, I couldn't give a **** less if they do.

PeteR

Reaction score
They describe Gibson as the countries largest producer, and Guitar Center as the largest retailer - but, I've never seen many Gibsons at all, in any store, much less Guitar Center? I always see way more Fenders than Gibsons? How can Gibson be the largest producer?

Most of the Fender probably are produced outside the US...

Musekatcher

Reaction score
I know people hate GC, but I've always had a very good experience with the one near me (Birmingham, AL). Very knowledgeable and professional folks there.

I know it's rock and roll to shout down at these corporations, but GC made a lot of folks around here go out of business for good reason - the biggest store in town, Nuncies, would sell you strings for $40, Squier starter packs for $500, and heaven help you if you wanted to haggle a Fender down from 3 grand. Before GC, if you wanted something inexpensive, it was whatever you could find at a pawn shop or a yard sale.

I thought Nuncies was more band instruments? I knew the old man. Our GC (Huntsville) is ok, no issues, reasonably knowledgeable staff, humble, good folk. I think out of 150 solid bodies, there may be 9 Gibsons on the wall. Even less in the flattop room.

I agree with Plan Zero, Gibson has a great brand, they can fix quality issues, but it will be too late if they don't figure out how to manage distribution. I'd hope their financier is looking for those fixes before he signs another check to help them out of their cash flow issue...

Plan Zero

Reaction score
Did I mention lately that I briefly worked for GC many years ago? I was working for a small chain of local retailers when GC opened up nearby. I thought I was going where the money was. How wrong I was. A complete clusterfu(k of an operation. Their commissions are so terrible you're likely to make minimum wage. A lot of the merchandise has a razor thin profit margin; I'm not surprised they're losing money. The only thing I enjoyed was handling the ridiculously overpriced vintage guitars that would pass through. I wonder how their sister company, Musician's Friend, is faring?

Worblehat

Reaction score
I read a lot about Guitar Center here, but have never seen one. Are they only located in the USA?

Seems like I am in a pretty comfortable position where I live in Germany. The next guitar store is just 3km away and always has plenty of Gibson guitars on stock. In a radius of about 100km I can reach a couple of other guitar stores that, as far as I know, also sell Gibsons. And then there is Thomann. The best online store I know with fantastic customer service. So I don't care about GC :D

Relic61

Reaction score
Just a shame that something so many of my generation once loved, playing guitar & being in rock'n bands making awesome music, seems to be becoming a passing phase & is in so many ways measurably on its way out!

What once took a little bit of love & a whole lot of dedication & time is giving way to the easier to do instant gratification of making music electronically. Just a godamn shame really.

This must be something like what the Big Band / Swing Band & Jazzers felt as their music along with some of it's instrumentation fell out of favor. Well it's coming around to being our turn to watch & lament I reckon.

Interesting tidbit from that article that caught my eye was the mentioning that Henry J will probably 'give up' Gibson!!!

............... ***************.................

Kevin Cassidy, a senior credit officer at Moody’s Investors Service told the Nashville Post. “And if this ends in bankruptcy, [Gibson CEO/owner Henry Juszkiewicz] will give up the entire company.”

................ ****************...............

Well, bankruptcy can go several ways so I'm wondering what that guy knows to make that dire statement?

Latest posts