Hello. New Guy Here.

Alanbama

Reaction score
So, I just found this board and decided to join. My name is Alan. Nice to meet you all. I’ve owned a Gibson SG Standard some time ago and I I liked it an awful lot. But it got away and I really missed it. I recently ordered an Epiphone 1961 Les Paul SG in classic white after reading a lot of great things about it. I could have gotten a Gibson but I just didn’t want to pay that much. I’m 67, retired and on a budget. I’m a Classic Rock kinda guy but I like all kinds of music. I started playing in the early 70s. My guitar is supposed to be here on Tuesday the 14th and I’m so excited! Anyway, I’ll come back to this post after I get it and let you know what I think. Take care,all!

Browning

Reaction score
So, I just found this board and decided to join. My name is Alan. Nice to meet you all. I’ve owned a Gibson SG Standard some time ago and I I liked it an awful lot. But it got away and I really missed it. I recently ordered an Epiphone 1961 Les Paul SG in classic white after reading a lot of great things about it. I could have gotten a Gibson but I just didn’t want to pay that much. I’m 67, retired and on a budget. I’m a Classic Rock kinda guy but I like all kinds of music. I started playing in the early 70s. My guitar is supposed to be here on Tuesday the 14th and I’m so excited! Anyway, I’ll come back to this post after I get it and let you know what I think. Take care,all!

Congrats I just picked up a epi sg standard recently. It's 👍 2022-06-07_11-06-56.jpg

3bolt79

Reaction score
Welcome. I have 2 Epi “Inspired by” SG’s. Great guitars.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I just recently found out just how good Epiphone is making their guitars. I’m really excited about the new SG that I’m getting.
I was looking at a Gibson SG Modern, but the new Epi version is spe’d better with locking tuners and out of phase. I could have bought 3 of the Epi versions and had money left over compared to the Gibson.

Let us know how the finish on yours feels. I may still buy the 61 version Epi LP SG in white. I am just afraid I won’t like the satin feel.

Alanbama

Reaction score
I was looking at a Gibson SG Modern, but the new Epi version is spe’d better with locking tuners and out of phase. I could have bought 3 of the Epi versions and had money left over compared to the Gibson.

Let us know how the finish on yours feels. I may still buy the 61 version Epi LP SG in white. I am just afraid I won’t like the satin feel.
I’ll let you know how it feels. I personally feel it’s going to be somewhere between gloss and Satin.

Alanbama

Reaction score
I got my guitar yesterday a day early! My first impression is that it’s a fabulous instrument. Fit and finish is excellent and the fretwork seems very good.

I want to play it for a few days before I give it a proper review but I do have some preliminary pics taken during the unboxing. I’ll post more as I get to know it. So far it’s great!

I tried to upload some pics but they were too big. I’ll fix that and post them.

Browning

Reaction score
My son just gave mine a nice setup, polished frets, new strings. It feels great now 👍

Alanbama

Reaction score
Mine was setup pretty darn good. Neck relief, and even intonation is very good which surprised me a whole lot! I lowered the action just a touch and oiled the fretboard. I put my favorite strings on it, DR 9’s. In my excitement and haste, I forgot to polish the frets! Dumb mistake but I will do it.

Does anyone know what size the Allen head nut is on the truss rod? From what I gather on the web it’s 4mm. Is that correct? 7D0664A2-9B2C-4C91-B858-7311252A7F08.jpeg A463B7AE-297F-451C-A8A7-6900830D7E8F.jpeg EE68C47C-2758-4526-9482-EAB40DDE8AEC.jpeg

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
Mine was setup pretty darn good. Neck relief, and even intonation is very good which surprised me a whole lot! I lowered the action just a touch and oiled the fretboard. I put my favorite strings on it, DR 9’s. In my excitement and haste, I forgot to polish the frets! Dumb mistake but I will do it.

Does anyone know what size the Allen head nut is on the truss rod? From what I gather on the web it’s 4mm. Is that correct? View attachment 48337 View attachment 48338 View attachment 48339
I'd say 4mm is right. I wouldn't know for sure though since my Allen keys are all mumble jumble in a container with maybe 25 different sizes in there.

Wait ... OK ... I put the end of the one I use against my ruler under a magnifying glass and yes ... 4mm.

Oh and ... happy new guitar day, a white SG, how can someone not be delighted ?

Alanbama

Reaction score
I'd say 4mm is right. I wouldn't know for sure though since my Allen keys are all mumble jumble in a container with maybe 25 different sizes in there.

Wait ... OK ... I put the end of the one I use against my ruler under a magnifying glass and yes ... 4mm.

Oh and ... happy new guitar day, a white SG, how can someone not be delighted ?
Thank you very much. I can relate to the jumbled keys. Mine are just like that! lol

Alanbama

Reaction score
3bolt79 I just remembered that you asked about the finish. It’s somewhere in between gloss and satin. It is a very good looking finish. Very classy looking. And it is wonderful on the back of the neck. No sticking to the neck at all. Your hand just glides on it. I did notice that when my hand starts to sweat some it becomes a little tackier. It just feels like you may stick but it hasn’t been an issue at all for me. I liked this guitar from out of the box but now I’m beginning to love it!:dude:

DrBGood

Reaction score
3bolt79 I just remembered that you asked about the finish. It’s somewhere in between gloss and satin. It is a very good looking finish. Very classy looking. And it is wonderful on the back of the neck. No sticking to the neck at all. Your hand just glides on it. I did notice that when my hand starts to sweat some it becomes a little tackier. It just feels like you may stick but it hasn’t been an issue at all for me. I liked this guitar from out of the box but now I’m beginning to love it!:dude:
Do the back of the neck with Scotch Brite. A 2 minute job that you'll love. Completely reversible if need be. I do it to all my guitars. The Gibson LP Studio got the treatment too.

Attachments

• Scotch Brite.jpg
    Scotch Brite.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1

MarcusMoji

Reaction score

Does anyone know what size the Allen head nut is on the truss rod? From what I gather on the web it’s 4mm. Is that correct? View attachment 48337 View attachment 48338 View attachment 48339

Damn it looks seriously nice. I've been so torn between this and a Gibson Triibute SG but I'm a sucker for white guitars :)

Latest posts