HELP! 2012 Gibson SG 61 Re-Issue Worn Brown

DFLCC

Reaction score
My local GC is listing a rare 2012 Gibson SG 61 Re-Issue Worn Brown. I looked up on the Gibson Website and use to list for $1499 new. It is equipped with 57s. She looks new, and come with the original case. I have been on the market for a new guitar and was considering the PRS S2 C24, but I am now considering this SG badly, based on rarity.

It is relay rare? I have never seen one before. Should I go for it and give up the PRS?

Take a look
In Store USED GIBSON SG '61 REISSUE 2012 RARE WORN BROWN | GuitarCenter

Any help and/or comments welcome.

Chevron

Reaction score
Have you played both guitars? That's the most important thing, don't worry about rarity unless you're a collector. It may be rare but if it's a dog, it'll just sit in the case! Good luck, let us know which way you went.

eS.G.

Reaction score
Agreed with Chevron, but it is a looker eh? And seems a great price! I have never had the pleasure of playing PRS.....need to put that on my "short list of stuff to do" but I hear they are awesome guitars. Good luck with your quandary.

58pit

Reaction score
My local GC is listing a rare 2012 Gibson SG 61 Re-Issue Worn Brown. I looked up on the Gibson Website and use to list for $1499 new. It is equipped with 57s. She looks new, and come with the original case. I have been on the market for a new guitar and was considering the PRS S2 C24, but I am now considering this SG badly, based on rarity.

It is relay rare? I have never seen one before. Should I go for it and give up the PRS?

Take a look
In Store USED GIBSON SG '61 REISSUE 2012 RARE WORN BROWN | GuitarCenter

Any help and/or comments welcome.
Thats a good buy, In my eyes anyway. I don't know how your GC works with you, my guy will usually chisle down the used stuff a hundred or two.Unless it's on clearance.

joy-z

Reaction score
That's a decent price. I've seen them sell for $900 on ebay. GC was blowing them out at around that price last year. The worn Cherry version was cleared out for $600 last year.

joy-z

Reaction score
It has a baked maple fretboard, if that makes any difference to you.

TattooedCarrot

Reaction score
I don't think I agree with the term rare. But they are less common than regular 61RI, as are the other ones in that series that are cherry and black. The three of them were a GC/MF exclusive and they blew them out about a year ago. The brown held the highest price in the blowout remaining solid at $1099 new. They have baked maple boards and chrome (not nickel) hardware. Good guitars and brown is my favorite SG color so I think it's worth their price, although you might still have luck talking them down a few bucks with cash in hand.

likea45

Reaction score
I don't think I agree with the term rare. But they are less common than regular 61RI, as are the other ones in that series that are cherry and black. The three of them were a GC/MF exclusive and they blew them out about a year ago. The brown held the highest price in the blowout remaining solid at $1099 new. They have baked maple boards and chrome (not nickel) hardware. Good guitars and brown is my favorite SG color so I think it's worth their price, although you might still have luck talking them down a few bucks with cash in hand.

Yeah not really that rare but still a great guitar. Go for it!

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I think the Gibson SG fitted with '57 Classic pickups is one of the
best guitars there is. I also think that if this color appeals to you and
you like the idea of a guitar that isn't commonplace, then it's a good
buy. I think it's a fair price for an excellent instrument. The only reason
not to buy this is if you intend to flip it.

The fact that you can play it before laying down your hard earned cash is
a real bonus in my view. I read so many posts by players who feel that the
shape of the neck can either turn them off or nail their loyalty down...
I don't get this, because all my guitars have different shapes and I just play
them all... but you should get a feel for the '61 by playing it, and then you'll
know if you want it badly enough to pay that price.

I also think this guitar is well worth it. Once your mastercard is paid off, you
will not regret it. The '57 classic is one of Gibson's best pickups IMHO, and can
play any tone or style. It's not a high gain pickup, which I think is a virtue.
But with pedals it can get rude in a hurry. And then play cleans with real style
and lovely tones in all the frequencies. sparkly highs, firm tough mids and growly lows.
hard to beat. I have these in my 2007 faded Special, and love that instrument.
Worn brown is a great color IMHO, that's what I have.

I also own and play a different SG with the baked maple fretboard. Those got a lot of
closed minded comments when they first were introduced, but not from people who
actually played them. It was interesting to see the consensus change on these boards,
from rejection and WTF comments early to slow acceptance later as one after another
player reported favorably on the new material. So there aren't any negative aspects
to the baked maple from a practical player's point of view that I know of.
I darkened mine with fret doctor and it looks and feels great.

Bullfrog

Reaction score
I read so many posts by players who feel that the
shape of the neck can either turn them off or nail their loyalty down...
I don't get this, because all my guitars have different shapes and I just play
them all...

I also own and play an SG with the baked maple fretboard. Those got a lot of
closed minded comments when they first were introduced, but not from people who
actually played them.

Two points that I couldn't agree with more.

DFLCC

Reaction score
I went down to GC to get the SG, But... well I did not bought it. While it is an awesome guitar, I guess I may have missed it and it do not include the case. That to me is a deal breaker, since at one point you could buy this guitar new for $1099 w/HSC. So paying $949 is like full (New) retail.

Thanks for the advise, I believe your guidance was critical.

:(

Crossroads

Reaction score
They are rare in that it is a model that was only made in 2012.

I have one in worn cherry and it is FANTASTIC.

seizure

Reaction score
same. I have one in Worn cherry also, and they were blown out 2 years ago for about $630ish. It was my first and still is my #1 guitar.

And yeah if your paying $900+ without a case it may not be worth it as I think you can find one on ebay with a case for right around that price

While it is not common to find a Satin Worn Finish with chrome pickups and maple neck. Maybe manyyyy years down the road all SG's with the baked maple fretboard will become desirable as it's not common and based on that it gains that "rare value" markup.

That be a funny day, all that backlash against maple fretboards and ten years down the road all of a sudden it becomes something sought after

TattooedCarrot

Reaction score
They are rare in that it is a model that was only made in 2012.

I have one in worn cherry and it is FANTASTIC.
But they made plenty of them. Still not rare. Rare is an overplayed word used to spam **** for sale because sellers are trying to hype it up hoping for more $$. Now 1959 Les Paul standard would be truly rare.

sbmobile

Reaction score
I was looking online to figure out how much I could sell my Gibson SG '61 Reissue in Worn Brown and I came across this thread and had to comment on @seizure's statement of "That be a funny day, all that backlash against maple fretboards and ten years down the road all of a sudden it becomes something sought after" because it looks like used prices are higher than they ever were new.
I'm completely baffled that these guitars were being blown out at $600 brand new. That has to be one of the greatest deals of all time for what that guitar is.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
someone on here will prolly take it off your hands...

It's a very desirable guitar that you will truly regret selling.
I hope you get enough money for it
to help you get through the remorse
when you don't have it any more.

*Smiles... I'd buy it in a minute except that I have two fine
SGs that do everything I need done.
But I'm not kidding that it's a desireable guitar.
You ought to be able to move it quickly.
And I wish you well, and congratulate the smart fellow
who buys it off you.

MR D

Reaction score
Yeah not really that rare but still a great guitar. Go for it!
I was looking online to figure out how much I could sell my Gibson SG '61 Reissue in Worn Brown and I came across this thread and had to comment on @seizure's statement of "That be a funny day, all that backlash against maple fretboards and ten years down the road all of a sudden it becomes something sought after" because it looks like used prices are higher than they ever were new.
I'm completely baffled that these guitars were being blown out at $600 brand new. That has to be one of the greatest deals of all time for what that guitar is.
@sbmobile....maybe I could ask? the 2012 GIBSON SG '61 Re-Issue that was going for $600 NEW..was it a CUSTOM Shop Guitar ? or USA Line Guitar ?

sbmobile

Reaction score
@MR D Maybe someone else could answer that. Mine isn't a custom shop. I assume everyone was talking about the reissues that were commercially released in 2012.