Help with Location for Short Flange Vibrola on an SG Special

ctp2112

Reaction score
Hi all ,

I'm brand new to the forum - Happy to be here.

I have decided to install a short flange vibrola on my 2011 50th anniversary Pete Townshend model SG Special (pictured below) that I've decided to install a short flange vibrola on. I already have the vibrola from CrazyParts in Germany, as well as locking studs from TonePros, and the guitar is with my very competent (and therefore very busy) luthier buddy. Due to said busy-ness, he's asked that I help hunt down a specification for the distance from the wrap-around bridge to the mounting holes for the vibrola.

I've found tons of photographs, but no real dimensions. Does anyone have any insight on this, or is anyone willing to share their measurements from an identical installation (there seem to be a couple of different types of vintage short Vibrolas)? Any issues/tricks we should be aware of for the installation? Break angle and alignment are obviously pretty critical.

Thanks a lot!

Tim

little sg.jpg

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Sure! Firstly, mounting one of those is basically a piece of cake. The distance between the bridge and the vibby are of no consequence (as long as were talking in mm's) so whatever you've concluded will surely do nicely. As you've figured out, the break angle is the main concern. First make sure that you have one and that it's sufficient, if not, you'll only ruin the guitar.

Tip 1.

P1010254.jpg

Tip 2

244567-68b7597cc0ffffc1a4095169d1b31005.jpg

Also, make sure to string correctly (ie locking the strings) and you will most likely not need locking tuners. (that would weigh the neck down)

You don't really need a luthier buddy either, just a drill and a screwdriver.... (also, no disrespect to him, but if he couldn't figure out that the distance don't matter much himself....hmm...)

I'll break out that V and measure if you still insist but I don't have it here at the moment.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more, if necessary.

Last edited:

ctp2112

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info and photos, Von Trapp!

My friend was just asking me to help on the research end of things before he got started, and it seemed like some sort of original Gibson spec would have been a nice starting point.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I don't believe I ever found anything when I looked for it. But you can pretty much sight it in by eye and approximation. Just put the comb somewhere where a tailpiece would have been.

MR D

Reaction score
Its none of my business, and of course, you can do as you like BUT IF I WERE YOU ?

A Word or three to the WISE ?

DON'T DO IT !