HNGD Epi LP Special I w/Humbuckers

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
From Black Friday, I present my Faded TV Yellow LP Special I:

J1FBx4F.jpg

Here's the pickups I ordered for it: (Slick hand-aged Old School Humbuckers):

qAAQMtG.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the 700T / 650R pickups in it. They're not awful, just not the right sound for what looks like a classic LP Special type of guitar.

It'll be getting the full fret job treatment. It's already a pretty good player. Just want it to be perfect.

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
looks fantastic,that a Epi ??? new??? set or boltie neck ???? never seen one before i dont think.what Buckers are those ? should be great

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
New, bolt neck epi LP Special I. The humbuckers are the matched Slick hand aged Vintage wound set. I'm shooting for the "slightly hot vintage" sound with this guitar. I don't think I'll miss the stock ceramic HBs in it much. They're just too harsh in it. And I love a good ceramic pickup (aka dirty fingers in my Gibson SG) but these just leave me cold.

Note the pickups cost about what I spent on the guitar. :)

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
ya pics when done,like the pickups to.another one for minimalist guitars

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
OK pics, but it's not done. Got both installed, soldered in, and discovered that the neck pickup is shorted. And no, it wasn't my soldering job. It's just shorted. So for now I have an LP Junior.

83cSn8u.jpg

GsNmK83.jpg

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
P.s. that bridge pickups sounds SO good. Can't wait to get the matching bridge pickup replacement.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Here she is with just the one pickup, the other one in its box ready to go back. sigh.

onpZNYI.jpg

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Oh dear, pain in the arse when something bought online doesn't work - hope the returns system works well for you. In the mean time, I have an 'aged' neck pup out of my G310 I can sell you cheap... :D

The simpleness of the Special 1 looks really nice in that colour; is she light?

jtcnj

Reaction score
HNGD!! I'm so in love with the yellow now it just really grabs me.
Good luck with the exchange.

I didnt like the stock ceramics in the SG special I had either. Way too hot for me, I lowered them a bit and yes, harsh. I'm a beginner and that was back even earlier in my beginner days.

I didnt want to put money into it so it got sold. I regretted it until I got the SG jr last week!
I will have another go at the one in the SG jr. while it is in there just to know I explored it.
That is until I decide on a HB sized P90.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
It's fairly light, I'd say about 7 lbs. And the TV Yellow is even better in person. I'll try and take some out door shots today now that it's not 12 degrees out. You can see the grain pretty nicely through the finish, and I really like the round neck with the matte / worn finish.

jtcnj, I can definitely recommend the bridge pickup here. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love the neck pickup once I get a working one in it. The bridge pickup is pretty much 100% classic rock.

ninjaking67

Reaction score
Looks fantastic! I wish I had bought a yellow one now, instead of my red but I couldn't pass up the deal. The grain shows through very well on mine also! They have used very decent blocks of wood for these bodies.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I think the low E nut slot is a tad too low. Oh well was gonna replace the nut with a nice tusq anyway. I've also replaced the knobs with proper reflectors. Speed knobs seem completely wrong on a TV Yellow Special.

DrBGood

Reaction score
What, no pics of the knobs change ?

And to all of you that have one of these gems, don't be deceived by the nice grain that shows through the finish. It is beautiful, but the finish is it. I mean it is opaque. What you see is not the mahogany beneath the finish, what you see is a printed wood texture. You heat it, it peels like a sticker. It is still very nice to look at and the satin feel is great too. I love mine.

Look at what it really looks undeneath. The grain is not even filled and doesn't ressemble what you see on the surface. But it is still mahogany. When I chipped mine, I came that close to stripping it. I might still do it. But that yellow is so nice ...

http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/crotte-de-merde.891/

chip_zpsoxry5ezk.jpg

Oh yeah, another thing I did when I got it, was to dull the finish on the back of the neck, with Scotch-Brite® scour pads.

Last edited:

ninjaking67

Reaction score
Man! I will pretend I didn't read that the wood grain is fake. I will tell myself that the wood grain is beautiful and that the blocks of mahogany are outstanding. I'm sure I can fool myself into believing it!

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
What, no pics of the knobs change ?

And to all of you that have one of these gems, don't be deceived by the nice grain that shows through the finish. It is beautiful, but the finish is it. I mean it is opaque. What you see is not the mahogany beneath the finish, what you see is a printed wood texture. You heat it, it peels like a sticker. It is still very nice to look at and the satin feel is great too. I love mine.

Look at what it really looks undeneath. The grain is not even filled and doesn't ressemble what you see on the surface. But it is still mahogany. When I chipped mine, I came that close to stripping it. I might still do it. But that yellow is so nice ...

Oh yeah, another thing I did when I got it, was to dull the finish on the back of the neck, with Scotch-Brite® scour pads.
Looks to me like the top layer of wood came off with it, and the staining to give it a nice grain did too.

Latest posts