I’m Thinking About Getting Another SG!

Alanbama

Reaction score
I’m seriously considering getting an Epiphone SG Modern Figured. I’ve read all about it and it sounds very impressive. I’m so impressed with my new SG that I want another one. What do you all think about my choice? I was also looking at the custom. I like it too.

Last edited:

3bolt79

Reaction score
I’m seriously considering getting an Epiphone SG Modern Figured. I’ve read all about it and it sounds very impressive. I’m so impressed with my new SG that I want another one. What do you all think about my choice? I was also looking at the custom. I like it too.
I have an Epi Modern SG and Epi SG custom. They are both kick ass guitars. The Modern I got is red, and unlike the Gibson, has push pull out of phase and Locking Grover’s. And it’s like 1/4 of the price of the Gibson. 76BAB0CD-1006-4B74-805E-4AE5B07FD60F.jpeg E47EA156-1521-4089-BF15-0DC055ED4D03.jpeg

Dave_11

Reaction score
Looks wise I love the black Custom. A Special with P90s would give you a different tonal palette than an SG with humbuckers, but so would some of the others already mentioned with the push/pull pots for single coil. I wonder how different the Prophesy sounds, with the maple cap. Maybe more Les Paul like? And of course there's always a Les Paul, which would be a nice complement to an SG.

MR D

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my Custom. The black Modern was sent back. View attachment 48453
i don’t know how I posted the wrong pic earlier.
WOWO, looks KILLER +++ !!!! I took it for a GIBSON Custom shop axe for a second there.......I've never played an Epi G-400, not even once ! That one you posted looks like a damn good one too ! IDK, I just cant deal w/22nd fret Neck Joint 'SG's.........its a full blown phobia at this point.

Alanbama

Reaction score
Now I’m even thinking about a Les Paul Modern! I just can’t make up my mind! Help!!!😀 My Carvin is shaped like a Les Paul though.

DrBGood

Reaction score
As said above, if you don't already have a P90 guitar, get them in a SG, you won't regret it.

Here's one I had, a 2011 Epiphone '61 SG Reissue. Sounded killer ! I suspect the new ones will at least sound as good.

02-neige_Snapseed.jpg

3bolt79

Reaction score
Okay. Thanks everyone for your input. I have just ordered an Epi SG Special P90. In cherry or whatever they call it. lol. I’m supposed to get it tomorrow from ZZ sounds. I’ll report back soon. Yahoo! Oh, I ordered a case too.
Awesome. I had one in Sparkling Burgundy. I think I am gonna wait on your report. I need another P90 guitar as I sold my last one.

Alanbama

Reaction score
Well, I received a SG Classic rather than a Special! What a surprise! It’s a rather nice guitar and I really like the satin finish. It has the same pick ups as the Special and it has a tune o matic bridge instead of a wrap around. I’m tempted to keep it and get my $20.00 difference back. I don’t know. I really need some advice from you all. What do you think?

DrBGood

Reaction score
If it plays nice and you like it ...

They must both sound the same. I personally like the Classic's finish better than the blingy Special. But I like a wraparound and a small guard better.

The difference that could make you want a Special is that a wraparound has something the TOM doesn't, tone wise it's sharper, snappier and bends seem easier ... I say "seem". You might have to have them both side by side to see the difference. I say, if returning is not a problem and you don't lose money, get a Special and have yourself a shoot-out.

One thing about P90s, they're really sensitive to height. Badly adjusted, you'll hate them.

Here's how I do it.

Too low they sound thin, too high they can be ice pick or boomy. Here's how I adjust them and I haven't yet tried a set I didn't like.

I set the bridge pickup (measured at the pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from bottom of strings (1/8" or ±3mm). No closer, or magnets will dampen sustain. If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Check it clean AND with overdrive. I take my time, it's worth it. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup is to be adjusted so middle position gets an almost acoustic tone, or a quacky tone, kinda Strat like. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. I then lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, it is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the three switch positions. The neck P90 often ends up the lowest I can get it.

Don't rely on those thin screws to get it low, you might snap them. Push down on the cover as you screw deeper into the wood.

Take your time, it's worth it. Do it a second time to make sure you really found their sweet spot. That's a fun adjustment and it is by far the cheapest modification you can do to a guitar and probably the one that has the most drastic effect on tone.

Latest posts