I finally did it - SG P90 to Humbucker

JimmyJ1979

Reaction score
Hey guys

Its been a long while since I posted here...

Originally in 2018 i asked for advice on moving from P90s to Humbuckers....seen below

So i finally did it.

I bought a pair of Burstbuckers in Nickel, bought a genuine Nickel ABR1 bridge and a new scratch plate and got to work....

I also bought an ebay gibson quick connect wiring harness too, turns out my 2016 SG has the PCB curcuit board.

The results are fabulous, incredible and it is EXACTLY what I wanted....

I had to cut away about 6mm on the inside of the P90 cavity to accomodate the neck pickup, but apart from that everything went smooth AND i have the easy option of switching out the old scratchplate now which still has the P90s in it!

The ONLY thing is on the bridge position the pickup sounds a little weaker than the neck, my guess is the neck has a 500k pot and the bridge has a 250k or 300k pot (not sure what the standard P90 SG has) Either way, ill be playing this now a while lot more! Thanks for the Input fellas!

Attachments

• sg0.jpg
    sg0.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 16
  • sg1.jpg
    sg1.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 15
  • sg2.jpg
    sg2.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 13
  • sg3.jpg
    sg3.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 12
  • sg4.jpg
    sg4.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 12
  • sg5.jpg
    sg5.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 14
  • sg6.jpg
    sg6.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 19
  • sg7.jpg
    sg7.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 17

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Cool!

Now that you have the pup cavities routed for humbuckers, I would install a Duncan Phat Cat (humbucker size P-90) with nickel cover at the neck position.

P-90 at the neck for cleans and Humbucker at the bridge for hi gain is my favorite combo. I have that setup on a 1998 SG Special.

DrBGood

Reaction score
The ONLY thing is on the bridge position the pickup sounds a little weaker than the neck,
Good job !

Just lower the neck pup as much as you can (flush with the pickguard if need be), it should get you a better balance and clean up the boominess in that pup.

On my SG.

Super-Sonic + SG.jpg

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Cool!

Now that you have the pup cavities routed for humbuckers, I would install a Duncan Phat Cat (humbucker size P-90) with nickel cover at the neck position.

P-90 at the neck for cleans and Humbucker at the bridge for hi gain is my favorite combo. I have that setup on a 1998 SG Special.
Route a p-90 for a humbucker to install a humbucker-sized p90? That’s hilarious

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Route a p-90 for a humbucker to install a humbucker-sized p90? That’s hilarious
Well, the OP is more concerned about form over function.

If it were mine, I would have left the original P-90 at the neck and installed the Humbucker at the bridge. The original batwing could be used and the cutout at the bridge position modified for the humbucker. Add a pup mounting ring at the bridge position.