I give up on Gibson

Hector

Reaction score
I live in Europe... I ordered a Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry back in late March of this year. It seems someone pipped me at the post and got the last one available on the website of the local retailer.

I was put on a waiting list as they were supposed to receive their next delivery in 3 to 4 weeks (end of April). To date they have received nothing from Gibson nor the importer.

Even Thomann has been saying "delivery is X to X weeks" for months now. Some website are saying no delivery possible until middle of August

In other words, it seems Gibson is either not manufacturing guitars, or if they are, they are not being delivered to fill orders in Europe.

As Elton once sang, "It's a sad sad situation.... And it's getting more and more absurd..."

Is Gibson practicing exclusion marketing now? Or did the factory burn down ?

So, unfortunately, I give up on Gibson. I wanted a new SG but am now moving towards a Framus (having played one, it has a better build quality by miles, splitable SD pickups, an excellent neck and killer sound).

Maybe now is when I could sell an SG or two and make a bit of dosh...

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
I live in Europe... I ordered a Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry back in late March of this year. It seems someone pipped me at the post and got the last one available on the website of the local retailer.

I was put on a waiting list as they were supposed to receive their next delivery in 3 to 4 weeks (end of April). To date they have received nothing from Gibson nor the importer.

Even Thomann has been saying "delivery is X to X weeks" for months now. Some website are saying no delivery possible until middle of August

In other words, it seems Gibson is either not manufacturing guitars, or if they are, they are not being delivered to fill orders in Europe.

As Elton once sang, "It's a sad sad situation.... And it's getting more and more absurd..."

So, unfortunately, I give up on Gibson. I wanted a new SG but am now moving towards a Framus (having played one, it has a better build quality by miles, splitable SD pickups, an excellent neck and killer sound).

Have you considered buying directly from Gibson through their Netherlands shop? Bypass the middlemen?

Hector

Reaction score
Problem may actually come from your Gibson order not being a priority for the shipping industry that has a hard time recruiting drivers. It is THE major planetary factor in delays for everything.

Apparently, this goes beyond the shipping industry, I have read many posts on Reddit about this same topic, some dating from January of this year.

Hector

Reaction score
Have you considered buying directly from Gibson through their Netherlands shop? Bypass the middlemen?

They do not ship to my country. However, even if they did, it is odd that they can supply guitars directly (from The Netherlands) with all of the shipping problems currently, but are unable to supply their distributor / retailer network.

It almost sounds as if they are changing their business model (preferring to sell direct) and not telling their established network of dealers. History has shown that screwing over your retailers usually does not end well.

tuna

Reaction score
I live near a famous guitar shop in Rochester, NY called "The [Great] House of Guitars". Very legendary place - famous signatures on the wall, shout-outs to them in album booklets, etc. They have a close relationship with Gibson and still I waited 9 months for my SG to come in. I was told they are having serious staffing issues. They are supposedly very picky about the people they hire. I'm told they said the candidates they're getting are just not skilled enough to maintain the Gibson standard of quality.

So, shipping and prioritizing by quantity and demand could be part of it, but I do believe the reason that was relayed to me above.

Hope this helps!

MR D

Reaction score

IDK the answers to the questions except I think I'd have heard if GIBSON's factories had burned down......WHY NOT TRY ordering one from GIBSON directly on their website? I got a Lester Special fairly recently exactly like that.....and it was delivered in less than 3 days.... I'm in the USA so IDK what the shipping situation to Europe would be... BUT.... forget the Thomanns and Andertons dealers of Europe and try giving GIBSON's website a look.....or even giving them a call during USA Eastern Time(?) business hours(the phone reps are very helpful, and I think Monday is a USA holiday?).....if its in stock...I am sure they will ship the Guitar to hell and back if you have the CA$H to pay the freight.

papagayo

Reaction score
Hector, if I remember correctly you' re in Switzerland, why don' t you come to France to buy your sg? Or Italy, Germany, Autriche ?
Or if you have a friend in those countries your order can be shipped here.
At Reverb Europe Demo Shop there is a nice SG Standard with warranty, 1089 €uros shipping included:
https://reverb.com/fr/item/50780866-gibson-sg-standard-heritage-cherry-demo

Last edited:

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I got curious and through the Gibson webpage looked for stores that sell Gibson in Amsterdam. None. Then I looked at my own city, Stockholm. None. Could of course be that they don't know one city from the other in Europe but come on, they're both capitals.

papagayo

Reaction score
Switzerland is not in the Union Européenne where people and marchandise can travel without a passport, no control (normally) and no taxe.

Hector

Reaction score
Hector, if I remember correctly you' re in Switzerland, why don' t you come to France to buy your sg? Or Italy, Germany, Autriche ?
Or if you have a friend in those countries your order can be shipped here.
At Reverb Europe Demo Shop there is a nice SG Standard with warranty, 1089 €uros shipping included:
https://reverb.com/fr/item/50780866-gibson-sg-standard-heritage-cherry-demo

Thanks, that one is already gone (or I am not allowed to view it)

I have looked in other countries, Thomann, Gear4Music, Musix, Music Store, Euroguitar etc are all out of stock.

I have found one locally, but the neck is twisted (brand new guitar, twisted neck).

The only other place locally that does have one is asking 500 above MSRP. When I asked why the price was so high, the response was "we are the only store that has any left". Yeah, **** you too... I am not going to pay 500 more than the MSRP when other stores are selling them with 500 off the MSRP.

Currently the delivery delay is listed at the end of July. Frankly, while I would love to have one, the Framus I tried really has me hooked....

Hector

Reaction score
Switzerland is not in the Union Européenne where people and marchandise can travel without a passport, no control (normally) and no taxe.

Not sure about the tax, EU VAT varies between 19 and 20%. If you order it to be shipped, the EU VAT is removed however the Swiss customs have a nice racket going where you pay the normal 7.7% VAT, plus some random Customs charges / fees which end up costing you more than the 20% EU VAT, so you really are better off having it delivered just over the border and bringing it in yourself.

Hector

Reaction score
I got curious and through the Gibson webpage looked for stores that sell Gibson in Amsterdam. None. Then I looked at my own city, Stockholm. None. Could of course be that they don't know one city from the other in Europe but come on, they're both capitals.

Many manufacturers have adopted the Chapman guitars distribution ideology and only deliver to a few larger retailers, instead of a lot of smaller stores. It is simpler for them, not so great for anyone wanting to try out a guitar without driving several hours...

Hector

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and help to try and get a SG Standard. It looks like it is not on the cards.

I do find it interesting that skilled workers are hard to find for Gibson. From what I have been reading on SocMed, could this also be a case of the skilled workers asking for a better salary and Gibson not wanting to pay it? (not Gibson bashing)

papagayo

Reaction score
If your SG is shipped to a country close to Suisse, and you take your car to take with you the guitar and go home, is it OK if you say to customs "I went to play music with friends and now I come back home" what' s wrong? We are talking about a guitar, not cocaine .

Hector

Reaction score
A lot of people do that. However, since no SG Standards are available, it's not even an option.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
What a sad day when a man can't go inside a store and just get himself an SG.

Latest posts