I give up on Gibson

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Well and so... I wish you well Hector.
I am a fan of Gibson guitars, but really, in Europe there are other manufacturers (such as Framus) who ought to be able to fill the demand. I'm sure I don't know about all of the makers in different countries in Europe.

I will verify the fact that in many areas of USA, there are delays and interruptions in service due to staffing problems. Many people here have left work and not returned, not willing to risk their lives for small money. The pandemic is not over, and the new variants are vicious. Others are happy to deny that the pandemic is reality, but it definitely is real.

You'd be better off looking for a used Gibson.

And you may be right in supposing that if Gibson (and other employers) offered an interesting wage, they might not have such difficulty finding qualified workers. Right now it seems ludicrous that employers would ask, "would you risk your life for this much money?"

Often the answer is "No."
and sometimes no means Hell no.
If Gibson offered better wages, they might need
to raise prices... Horrors!
The Framus will likely be a fine instrument for you.
But I still think that in your case,
you could simply look for a used Gibson.

OzzyZigg

Reaction score
I'd second the used market. Some good deals if you look for a while (and I find local or Facebook classifieds often better than reverb for good deals). And I'll be honest, I hear so many complaints about Gibson qc that I'd feel more comfortable buying used. Kinks have been worked out, so to speak

papagayo

Reaction score
I' m agree, ask to Thomann full refund and lokk at the second hand market in Suisse, your country.
People don' t sell guitars because they are broken or bad quality, they sell because they don' t play or because they want to change .
I bought five used guitars and they are very good condition, they are awesome guitars.

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
It appears Gibson is having trouble keeping up with demand. I don't know if their particular problem is labor or supply issues. I do know that the industry I work in, Outdoor Power Equipment, is still reeling from supply issues. Most of the factories are staffed, but having trouble with parts availability to complete the equipment. Last fall we were sent a letter from most of the big manufactures we deal with telling us that they believed these issues would be over by this time. We got another round of letters about a month ago telling us they expect these issues to persist into next year. As one extreme example, Honda has a wait time of ONE YEAR for an engine if it's not an off the shelf spec. That being said I ordered a SG last year in April, and didn't get delivery till October. I don't assume everyone to be as patient as me, but even here in the US from a major retailer there was a significant wait time. Good Luck in your search! In my case only an SG could scratch my itch, so I waited. I would have bought used if a new one was unavailable.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Victimized after waiting 90 days for a new guitar.
Maybe you’re entitled to compensation?

A quick glance at Sweetwater and Reverb show at least 6 new Standards that were stamped 2-3 months ago. Maybe the Euro batch is getting ready to ship?

Last edited:

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I' m agree, ask to Thomann full refund and lokk at the second hand market in Suisse, your country.
People don' t sell guitars because they are broken or bad quality, they sell because they don' t play or because they want to change .
I bought five used guitars and they are very good condition, they are awesome guitars.
Don't underestimate the possibility that many sell their guitars because they think another piece of wood with electronics and strings is going to sound better because it's more expensive... Hope you find one and good luck!

Hector

Reaction score
Well and so... I wish you well Hector.
I am a fan of Gibson guitars, but really, in Europe there are other manufacturers (such as Framus) who ought to be able to fill the demand. I'm sure I don't know about all of the makers in different countries in Europe.

I will verify the fact that in many areas of USA, there are delays and interruptions in service due to staffing problems. Many people here have left work and not returned, not willing to risk their lives for small money. The pandemic is not over, and the new variants are vicious. Others are happy to deny that the pandemic is reality, but it definitely is real.

You'd be better off looking for a used Gibson.

And you may be right in supposing that if Gibson (and other employers) offered an interesting wage, they might not have such difficulty finding qualified workers. Right now it seems ludicrous that employers would ask, "would you risk your life for this much money?"

Often the answer is "No."
and sometimes no means Hell no.
If Gibson offered better wages, they might need
to raise prices... Horrors!
The Framus will likely be a fine instrument for you.
But I still think that in your case,
you could simply look for a used Gibson.

Thanks for your reply. It is a shame what I can see happening over there via Reddit and social media. It's starting to happen over here too as companies here copy what companies over there do (usually 5 years later, but this seems to be happening faster).

I contemplate a used SG, but since I want the thicker neck, it would have to be an SG Standard from 2010 or around that date (IIRC). The only one I did find available they wanted as much money for it as for a new SG Standard, it came with no guarantee and it too had a twisted neck (same store). A shame really, as it felt great in my hands, but asking a luthier to plane the neck and re-fret it would cost a lot over here.

I am keeping my eyes open, but am thinking at this point to get the Framus and save up for an SG again when the market has calmed down...

Hector

Reaction score
It appears Gibson is having trouble keeping up with demand. I don't know if their particular problem is labor or supply issues. I do know that the industry I work in, Outdoor Power Equipment, is still reeling from supply issues. Most of the factories are staffed, but having trouble with parts availability to complete the equipment. Last fall we were sent a letter from most of the big manufactures we deal with telling us that they believed these issues would be over by this time. We got another round of letters about a month ago telling us they expect these issues to persist into next year. As one extreme example, Honda has a wait time of ONE YEAR for an engine if it's not an off the shelf spec. That being said I ordered a SG last year in April, and didn't get delivery till October. I don't assume everyone to be as patient as me, but even here in the US from a major retailer there was a significant wait time. Good Luck in your search! In my case only an SG could scratch my itch, so I waited. I would have bought used if a new one was unavailable.

I'm giving up on getting the SG for the moment as I saw the delivery delay go from "2 to 4 weeks" to "unknown" to "middle of August". So that tells me no one really knows when they will have it in stock again. The nice sales person who I spoke to when ordering said she would let me know personally when they get stock back in.

Indeed, Audi has shut down A3 and A4 production as the wiring looms were made in... guess where... Ukraine.

So, everyone gets to pay the price now for outsourcing by large companies to foreign countries...

So yes, between war, pestilence and idiocity, it seems we are all left disappointed. I'm just glad the fighting is only 2 hours flight away in a fighter jet...

Hector

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your replies.

If I could, I would change the title of this thread and add (for the moment) to the end of it....

Westernrider

Reaction score
There is another reason for delays on shipping Gibsons.

The factory does a production line run of ( n ) amount of ( X ) guitars, then switches to another model and keeps rotating models.

One year in November I placed am order for a new SG.
A couple of days later, the store contacted me. The owner told me that all the SG's from the first production run have already been shipped to dealers and the next SG run would be in 3 months. The new guitar was shipped to me in March of the following year.

What has changed in the factory since then, I really couldn't tell you?

laza616

Reaction score
I dont know but what is wrong with used guitars? If you are from Switzerland, try willhaben . at
There are SGs popping out every few days, some for silly low price. Last time it was a black SG standard with the hard case for 800€

papagayo

Reaction score
2010, 2011 and 2012 SG Standard neck profile is a medium C.
My 2012 have this neck profile, that' s why I don' t play it so much... But this is a piece of art !

Gibson SG White 244.JPG

MR D

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your replies.

If I could, I would change the title of this thread and add (for the moment) to the end of it....
WOWO, the whole situation just blows...after reading all this, players in the USA that like GIBSON guitars have reason to be grateful...
The Bat-Wing SG's after 2010 have a fuller Neck profile, IIRC..... the 'Angel-Wing' (Small) PG has the slim taper profile and while I like the look of the smaller PG better than the full PG by a wide margin, its the neck profile that gets the nod because of the fuller Neck profile.....a 2020 SG Standatd I got is the shizzle...after yanking the 490's out of it, the guitar has gone to #1 status and mostly due to the neck profile........

Don't give up on your search....I know you know that good things come to those who wait...

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
I live in Europe... I ordered a Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry back in late March of this year. It seems someone pipped me at the post and got the last one available on the website of the local retailer.

I was put on a waiting list as they were supposed to receive their next delivery in 3 to 4 weeks (end of April). To date they have received nothing from Gibson nor the importer.

Even Thomann has been saying "delivery is X to X weeks" for months now. Some website are saying no delivery possible until middle of August

In other words, it seems Gibson is either not manufacturing guitars, or if they are, they are not being delivered to fill orders in Europe.

As Elton once sang, "It's a sad sad situation.... And it's getting more and more absurd..."

Is Gibson practicing exclusion marketing now? Or did the factory burn down ?

So, unfortunately, I give up on Gibson. I wanted a new SG but am now moving towards a Framus (having played one, it has a better build quality by miles, splitable SD pickups, an excellent neck and killer sound).

Maybe now is when I could sell an SG or two and make a bit of dosh...

Hector, if I can help I would like to try.

First, where do you live? Swutzerland apparently
2nd, I am likely going to take Gibson's side a bit on the length of time it takes to get guitars.
3rd, I will try to make some suggestions on how you might get the guitar you want.

On Gibson's side of the coin. The economy in AMERICA really sucks right now due to the crooked politicians running the country. Gas and oil prices and dwindling worker pool of truckers, pilots etc, the Covid virus, people not being able to return to work a normal 5-6 day week, and a whole host of other factors currently facing employers is adversely affecting what is happening as the pandemic scenario unfolds.

Gibson simply may be doing the best they can given the alteration thrust upon them by the above factors.

Last edited:

Von Trapp

Reaction score
He did, it's Sweden, the land of swiss cheese and watches..

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Not sure about the tax, EU VAT varies between 19 and 20%. If you order it to be shipped, the EU VAT is removed however the Swiss customs have a nice racket going where you pay the normal 7.7% VAT, plus some random Customs charges / fees which end up costing you more than the 20% EU VAT, so you really are better off having it delivered just over the border and bringing it in yourself.
By what I read, Papa and Von Trapp say you may be in Switzerland or Sweden?

Have you ever heard of Gregor Hilden in Germany? See if maybe he can help you.

Description Gregor Hilden - guitar-seller / guitarist See my webshop for available guitars: http://www.gregsguitars.de (German and english site) FAQs Please go to: http://www.gregsguitars.de FAQs on this site too - including: explaining the recording setup, what strings and plek I play, what amp and microphone plus plus..! I'm located in Münster/Germany and my job is: making music, CDs, doing concerts, buying/selling guitars. The guitars in my videos are owned by myself and the inventory is changing every day because I buy and sell as a professional guitar dealer.

Last edited:

Gibbo SG

Reaction score
I'd shop secondhand sources in your region. That might get you closer to whichever SG suits you the best.

Latest posts