I paid 950$ for a Gibson SG Faded 2005!!!

billiesupertramp

Reaction score
OK BRO, You have the guitar you always wanted, right ? Next, you have got to get a Hard Shell Case to protect it...DONT TAKE IT ANYWHERE until you get one, right ?

Next, set that BAD-A$$ UP ! Neck Relief is all important (not more than .005" @ 9th Fret) and string height at the 1st and 12th frets too,,,,,,,,

Do you have a CAPO ? Get one and put the capo over the dot at the 3rd fret (in between the 2nd and 3rd frets)....observe: Do the strings clear the 1st fret (closest to the NUT) ? With the capo in place as instructed, The strings should clear the 1st fret by a whisker...this is known as the 'TAP TEST' in luthier circles as when you press up and down on the strings w/capo in place....you will hear a little 'TAP' as the strings bounce off of the 1st fret...if the strings are NOT clearing the 1st fret w/Capo in place...you need to get a new NUT....but not to worry if you do not do it right away.

string clearence @ 1st fret is crucial: I use the following string heights at 1st fret: Low 'E': .022", 'A' .024", 'D' .026", 'G' .018", 'B' .015", High 'e' .012".(all string heights can be within .002" +/-)..these heights at 1st fret will produce DEAD-ON INTONATION @ 12TH FRET, AND IF YOU GET THE 1st fret HEIGHT RIGHT (WITHIN .002" ON EACH STRING) THESE 1st fret string heights will even produce DEAD-ON RINGING OPEN 'A' 'D' and 'E' chords in the 2nd Octave, as long as the bridge is set to GIBSON Specs (5/64"THS Low E @ 12th Fret, 3/64"THS High 'e' @ 12th Fret) and the saddles are correctly placed.

I wish I was back over there, I miss the beaches/babes.....give me 30 minutes with that guitar and it will play like CHAMPION GIBSON that IT surely IS !
@MR D Wow! This is a very helpful information. Thank you so much. I'm having a problem with the strings action. I think it's a little higher. I made too much noise while playing this guitar. I don't know is it me who not getting used to it or the guitar. Let's me try to adjust it according to your instruction.

Anyways, Cambodia is opening now. I'm not sure if you've ever been here. Since you said you had traveled around SE Asia for several years. I bet you visited Cambodia.

Last edited:

Steve D

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new SG. My first guitar was an SG because it was all I could afford but now that I'm old and can afford other guitars I just always come back to the SG. The sound, the feel ... it's special.

What style of music do you play? People think of the SG as just a rock and roll machine but it can do a lot more than that if you dial it in.

MR D

Reaction score
@3bolt79 I live in Cambodia, my SG has a mark "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock. The shop said it shipped from the US. But I'm curious too, is it really made in the USA as it said.
Yes , that guitar is 'MADE IN USA", some parts, like the Tuning Machines MIGHT be manufactured elsewhere but are put in the guitar @ GIBSON's Nashville, Tennessee, USA manufcaturinfg facility. If you take a tuning machine off of the guitar and it has a 'PW' marking on the under-side (it probably will, or it may be a Kluson ......but even Kluson TM's are no longer Manufactured in the USA) it is made by 'PING WORKS' Company in Seoul, South Korea...but its put on the guitar (and therefore 'MADE' in USA) at the GIBSON Facility mentioned above.

MR D

Reaction score
@MR D Wow! This is a very helpful information. Thank you so much. I'm having a problem with the strings action. I think it's a little higher. I made too much noise while playing this guitar. I don't know is it me who not getting used to it or the guitar. Let's me try to adjust it according to your instruction.

Anyways, Cambodia is opening now. I'm not sure if you've ever been here. Since you said you had traveled around SE Asia for several years. I bet you visited Cambodia.
I SURE DID, I went to ANGOR BHAT , the Ancient Buddhist Monastery, and sampled some of the BLUE MUSHROOMS.......#OLY $#!T !!! Have you ever seen a BLUE Pteradactyl ?

BLUE PTERDACTYL's have been extinct for over 5 million years, yes?.... but I AM TELLING YOU....I SAW AN ENTIRE HERD OF THEM....BWAH HA HA !!!

billiesupertramp

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new SG. My first guitar was an SG because it was all I could afford but now that I'm old and can afford other guitars I just always come back to the SG. The sound, the feel ... it's special.

What style of music do you play? People think of the SG as just a rock and roll machine but it can do a lot more than that if you dial it in.
@Steve D Thank you, I happen to know an SG because of Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath. I played Death Metal/Hardcore music when I was a teenager. Now I'm getting older, my taste of music had changed completely. Right now I'm digging some old stuffs like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple...

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Billiesupertramp,
Welcome to the forum from Myself aka Chili.

Your guitar is NO lesser of a guitar than a Standard, a Signature model, or a Tribute like you mentioned.

MY 2nd SG ever is my favorite SG. Not only is the neck of the perfect thickness for me, but perfect shape and the whole guitar just has IT.

Look up Col Mustard on here and he can enlighten you until you will feel as if your new SG Faded has become your favorite guitar as well.
Set it up to specified settings, ( get a pro setup and really learn how to play and make it work for you) I think that in due time, $950 will seem like a bargain for this SG.

I will message colonel Mustard to have him add info and guidance to you in here.

My first SG Special is below. 1989 3 knob
1987 3 knob SG.jpg

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
@Steve D Thank you, I happen to know an SG because of Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath. I played Death Metal/Hardcore music when I was a teenager. Now I'm getting older, my taste of music had changed completely. Right now I'm digging some old stuffs like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple...
Don't forget to learn how to play 'The ROVER', it is pretty simple BUT I am sure u kno it fuckin ROCKS....the are a couple of different ways to play the opening riff BUT IMO the correct, J P approved method, way is the 2nd & 4TH Fret D, G, A and last note open Low E riff....I realize thats pretty vague but if you look at what I typed (and its NOT turning BLUE) you are on the right path......

BTW, TNX......that settles it, getting my boots and passport together...S E Asia is the place to be......fuckin beautiful beaches/babes.....I really do miss it !

CHEERS BRO !

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score

Col mustard has a nice @ post #67 here too.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score

I really love my 2008 faded SG. I bought the low price version because
I knew I was going to mess with things on it. The advantage of that is you
can spend your money getting just the things you want, just the way you
want them. And a little at a time, when you can afford it.

The first thing I did to mine was get a fret job done. It played all right before the
fret job, but like a dream afterwards. Still does. I asked the guitar tech who did the
work, "is it just because I bought the cheap one that I need this?" he laughed and
said 'heck no! they all do." He said, "I have to thank Gibson and Fender for doing
such sloppy work on even their best and priciest guitars. That's what keeps me in
business..."

If you got a standard, it might have better fretwork because they use the Plek machine
to do precision work. It might not! So ya gotta play it. That's what did it for me. I
got mine at Guitar Center. They had four of them on display, the one I bought is the
one that sounded the best unplugged (it rings beautifully) and which is also the one that
felt the best when I played it. Never look back.

BTW anybody on this thread got an opinion about the Plek machine's fretwork? Got a new SG or LP that has been Pleked? Is it all hype, or what?

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
when I was a young buck in the middle to late 60s, the Gibson SG was one of the coolest guitars available.
Strats seemed to be everywhere, teles less so but still everywhere, Gibson was THE alternative. Les Pauls were discontinued! we didn't see any new ones till like 1968 or so. I never cared for Gretch or Vox guitars, they seemed like also rans. I was an acoustic folkie dreaming of Rock an Roll.
I still have an after image of an SG on a stand, next to a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp on standby, the band was taking a break and I was just standing there practically drooling, ogling the SG. At that time I knew that Robbie Krieger of the Doors used one, and Clapton during his Cream period (with the fringe and the 'fro) and Zappa of course, but it was one in the hands of a local band at a college party that really got my attention, because I could watch him play it from ten feet away, and then go stare at it while he was gettin' away with my girl... *grins. don't know who he was, but I wanted that guitar. and to be in a band and to play as well as he did. I liked Blue Oysters too, but now my idol is Derek Trucks. Never got AC or Sabbath.
The reason I actually bought one instead of drooling was how it sounded unamplified. I wasn't intending to buy a guitar the day that I got bit. I was just taking an amp for service, and on my way out of GC I did the classic double take. I saw the faded brown ones, which immediately appealed to me... who knows why.
I took one down, held the upper horn to my ear and strummed it.. yeah, yeah. I took down the one next to it and WOW what a difference. I put that one back reluctantly, and took down another one, surprised. I checked them all, and that second one sounded so much better than all the rest that I decided I couldn't pass it up. I thought, if it sounds that good unamplified, it'll sound good plugged in. And it does. I checked that out in their 'quiet room for real customers,' and by then I was bonded with it and I had to buy it. Mastercard rocks too. *grins I love how light it is, and how comfortably it fits me, and the wide fingerboard also suits me perfectly. but it's the sound...

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
I will repeat what Col Mustard expereinced and told about above.

"I checked that out in their 'quiet room for real customers,' and by then I was bonded with it and I had to buy it. Mastercard rocks too. *grins I love how light it is, and how comfortably it fits me, and the wide fingerboard also suits me perfectly. but it's the sound..."

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
great thread... let's keep it going. c'mon, step up and tell us what made you push the button. I remember drooling over catalogs, reading the same tired old advert copy... they kept saying the same things over and over, but I was fascinated. I'd been playing acoustic and bass for decades. No electric, though they always got my attention. Whenever we would play outside events, I could see the limitations of the acoustic sound. I could see how far out in the audience it would reach, and how far it didn't. I knew the electic guitar would solve that problem.

I didn't make up my mind right away... let's face it, there are lots of great guitars to choose from, at least in the good ol' USA. I downloaded the "Les Paul buying guide" and decided I liked the studio model, or the special. don't like the purdy ones... too costly. I downloaded the "strat buying guide' and decided I liked the hard tail, natural finish, rosewood fretboard. I downloaded the 'Telecaster buying guide' and decided I liked the blonde one with the black pickguard and a humbucker in the neck... Keef style. I was going to get one of those, but the SG kept catching my eye, making me remember my younger days, and how envious I was of guys that had them, and could play that sound.

I downloaded the SG buying guide, and gravitated immediately to the SG Special, and then to the faded Special. The workingman's guitar. The faded is all business... --first: GET GOOD, then let the song talk. no flashy inlays, no mirrors, just play your best and try and hit the back wall hard enough to rattle a few teeth. yeah. my mind began to realize that it had been made up all along, and it was the SG all along and I'd just forgotten. or been distracted by Telecaster magic performed by Keith Richards or Andy Summers etc... but naw, it was Buck Dharma and Robby Kreiger and Dwayne Allman for me among others. So I'd done my homework by the time I walked into a music store and did the classic double take, looking at the lady I'd end up taking home.

Attachments​

• Luna.jpg
    Luna.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 31

Steve D

Reaction score
great thread... let's keep it going. c'mon, step up and tell us what made you push the button. I remember drooling over catalogs, reading the same tired old advert copy... they kept saying the same things over and over, but I was fascinated. I'd been playing acoustic and bass for decades. No electric, though they always got my attention. Whenever we would play outside events, I could see the limitations of the acoustic sound. I could see how far out in the audience it would reach, and how far it didn't. I knew the electic guitar would solve that problem.

I didn't make up my mind right away... let's face it, there are lots of great guitars to choose from, at least in the good ol' USA. I downloaded the "Les Paul buying guide" and decided I liked the studio model, or the special. don't like the purdy ones... too costly. I downloaded the "strat buying guide' and decided I liked the hard tail, natural finish, rosewood fretboard. I downloaded the 'Telecaster buying guide' and decided I liked the blonde one with the black pickguard and a humbucker in the neck... Keef style. I was going to get one of those, but the SG kept catching my eye, making me remember my younger days, and how envious I was of guys that had them, and could play that sound.

I downloaded the SG buying guide, and gravitated immediately to the SG Special, and then to the faded Special. The workingman's guitar. The faded is all business... --first: GET GOOD, then let the song talk. no flashy inlays, no mirrors, just play your best and try and hit the back wall hard enough to rattle a few teeth. yeah. my mind began to realize that it had been made up all along, and it was the SG all along and I'd just forgotten. or been distracted by Telecaster magic performed by Keith Richards or Andy Summers etc... but naw, it was Buck Dharma and Robby Kreiger and Dwayne Allman for me among others. So I'd done my homework by the time I walked into a music store and did the classic double take, looking at the lady I'd end up taking home.

Attachments​

• Luna.jpg
    Luna.jpg
I'll share my "first SG story". I had about $200 to spend in 1985ish and I went to the local used instruments place to try to get an electric guitar. I wanted a USA one because my official first electric guitar was I think Korean strat copy (because I dug Clapton and he was playing his "Blackie" strat then) and it was just terrible, sold it at a loss after three days. I decided what I really wanted was Made In USA with humbuckers because all the modern guitar gods were using humbuckers. A B.C. Rich, Kramer, Jackson, even a Les Paul seemed to fit.

But at the store it turned out the only guitar that I could afford was a 20+ year old SG Special that someone had put humbuckers into instead of the original P90s. Looking back it was likely a '63 or '64. You could strum that thing and it was absurdly loud. So resonant. So I put down the $200, grabbed the old fake alligator chipboard case by the handle and took her home. All my buddies were playing their pointy '80s guitars but I was happily rocking along with them on my devil horned SG and loving it.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Best $200 you ever spent. Bet you are sick knowing as I anticipate, YOU sold IT

I did the same around 1982-83. Except it was $360 for a used LP Std I found in the newspaper.
Mine was a '78 or '79.

I recently bought it's replacement. My 1979 Les Paul KM.

Still, I now have 4 SG's to 2- LP's an EPI and the KM.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score

Attachments​

• Luna.jpg
    Luna.jpg
For me, I was a teenager in the early 80s with no musical mentors except what was on Top 40 AM radio. I knew I had to pick a musical tribe, MTV was just taking off and everything was Prince, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Duran Duran, etc., but nothing I really felt connected to. Eventually, I found The Police (this when they were peaking with Synchronicity in '83-'84) and I became interested in learning guitar. I walked into my local music store and a guy sold me an Ibanez Roadstar II and a Peavy Bandit 65 and I was off.

Then it happened.

I found AC/DC, "Back in Black." Into my Walkman the cassette went and the destruction of my hearing began. I plunged into hard rock and heavy metal as only a hormonal teenage boy can and I wore out the "Let There Be Rock" movie on VHS. I wanted to be Angus: running, jumping, and duckwalking across a stage while rocking my ass off and seemingly never missing a note.

Suddenly, the Roadstar was looking pretty weak. I needed to up my game. My best friend was a guitar player and he told me if we bought our guitars together we could get a better deal. Off to Guitar Center in Oakland, CA we went. He walked out with a Les Paul Custom and I walked out with an '86 SG Standard. It is hanging on my wall four feet away from me right now and they'll probably bury me with it.

laza616

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Beautiful SG you got. 2005 faded in this condition for 950 bucks nowadays is OK price. I would not say you got ripped off or that you overpaid it

Me personally, i would never considered changing 2005 faded for a 2017 tribute. Just no
You have a nice 17 years old SG, perfectly matured and in very good condition from the available pictures

Just get a luthier to set it up for you properly, get some good hard case, nice leather guitar strap and play the hell out of that SG

Also: dont worry about standard or other models, its just cosmetic stuff on it. Any Gibson pickups are great enough.

MR D

Reaction score
My 1st SG was a consolation purchase

N E Way, my Best Friend got word that someone had an Brown natural finish SG Standard, 1979 model, for $300 and I hocked everything in the world I had at the time to get it...I just had to have that guitar....I'd have walked to Venezuela to get it.

Last edited:

3bolt79

Reaction score

I really love my 2008 faded SG. I bought the low price version because
I knew I was going to mess with things on it. The advantage of that is you
can spend your money getting just the things you want, just the way you
want them. And a little at a time, when you can afford it.

The first thing I did to mine was get a fret job done. It played all right before the
fret job, but like a dream afterwards. Still does. I asked the guitar tech who did the
work, "is it just because I bought the cheap one that I need this?" he laughed and
said 'heck no! they all do." He said, "I have to thank Gibson and Fender for doing
such sloppy work on even their best and priciest guitars. That's what keeps me in
business..."

If you got a standard, it might have better fretwork because they use the Plek machine
to do precision work. It might not! So ya gotta play it. That's what did it for me. I
got mine at Guitar Center. They had four of them on display, the one I bought is the
one that sounded the best unplugged (it rings beautifully) and which is also the one that
felt the best when I played it. Never look back.

BTW anybody on this thread got an opinion about the Plek machine's fretwork? Got a new SG or LP that has been Pleked? Is it all hype, or what?

I got a 2022 SG Standard in cherry finish. The frets are indeed immaculate. The frets are all perfectly level with a neck relief of .005 to .006 .

Fret ends perfect with the nubs over the edges, and the crown of the frets are the nearly flat crown that Gibson as traditionally done.

It was set up perfectly and the intonation and nut slots were perfect out of the box. I just opened and Inspected it, and plugged it in and played.

Latest posts