If anyone who owns the $2000-$2500 USD Tony Iommi P90 SG has had theirs apart and done any photography or documentation- I desperately need help.

SGFanWNC82

Reaction score
I purchased three SG's to get an Iommi SG P90- not the $40k version that sells for $28k but the $2000-$2500 version.

I am looking at it and I have a very bad feeling that between the serial number and the "for sure those are Gibson Iommi P90's" that is lacking when I search the stickers on the back of the pickups-

I think this is a 2019-20 minibucker leftover SG that was converted to P90's and that is the best case scenario, worst case is that this is a minibucker SG converted to P90's using a Chibson as the parts donor.

The guitar in question is not something I can show right now because me even questioning the provenance could cause me some serious backlash worse that $2500 down drain.

If anyone knows of a link where I can put in a part number on a pickup and see if it is a factory Gibson pickup, please let me know.

If anyone owns or owned the "citizen" version and they ever had reason to dissassemble and photograph, I would be eternally grateful. Again, I am talking about the cheaper Iommi P90 SG sold by GIBSON WITHOUT Monkey sticker and it retailed between $2000-$2500.

If the story that is being fed me is a true story(and it is plausible) then I need to seal the deal on this guitar. If I can verify that the printed sticker with what appears to be a PN(one for bridge and one for neck) on the pickups is bogus, that is enough. If there is a place online to enter a Gibson part number and determine if it is real, let me know. Thus far googling the numbers on the stickers on the back has nothing come up.

I am not trying to be vague or cause drama, I just am in a bad spot and if I can find out before Monday and Gibson opens, that helps. This is a case of he who hesitates loses, while at the same time, it is also a case of "Gibson didn't return my call on Thursday or Friday even though I own a stupid number of SG's and I am really upset because I HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION.

NOTE: I AM WELL AWARE THAT THE $2500 IOMMI P90 SG DOES NOT HAVE JOHN BIRCH PICKUPS.

HOWEVER THE $2500 MODEL WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE P90 PICKUPS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HOTTER THAN USUAL P90's and VOICED LIKE MONKEY.

JUST BEING CLEAR HERE.

Sorry for this being first post. I will make an introduction.

skelt101

Reaction score
Trogly takes one apart in this video. You might see the number(s) you are looking for:

FWIW, I have not found the P90s in my Iommi to be any “hotter” than a normal set. Near as I can tell, that is probably what they are- normal P90s with chrome covers.

SGFanWNC82

Reaction score
Thanks very much. Too much is "wrong" with the guitar. I really appreciate the lead on checking Austin's video- Youtube IS NOT who I normally turn to but in this case it saved my bacon.

The individual I WAS trying to put a deal together with also deals with a guy who disassembles 95% Epiphone guitars(sells the body shells too) and yet he claims all these parts he has for sale are AUTHENTIC GIBSON and the prices are questionable. The parts disassembler also has many Chibson parts he sells(metric hardware, pickup mounting, wire colors, tune-o-nevers). He'll claim that a husk is Epiphone and it will have the wrong inlays and the "dove" aka "open book" headstock.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Thanks very much. Too much is "wrong" with the guitar. I really appreciate the lead on checking Austin's video- Youtube IS NOT who I normally turn to but in this case it saved my bacon.

The individual I WAS trying to put a deal together with also deals with a guy who disassembles 95% Epiphone guitars(sells the body shells too) and yet he claims all these parts he has for sale are AUTHENTIC GIBSON and the prices are questionable. The parts disassembler also has many Chibson parts he sells(metric hardware, pickup mounting, wire colors, tune-o-nevers). He'll claim that a husk is Epiphone and it will have the wrong inlays and the "dove" aka "open book" headstock.
I just checked Gibson's website and they have right-handed Iommi SGs in stock (leftys appear to be special order). My advice, bypass the middleman and go straight to the source if you want an authentic Iommi with a two-year factory warranty to boot. The awesomest thing about buying direct from Gibson is they don't charge state sales tax and they ship free. The downside is there is no financing so you'd pay full retail up front, but every major, reputable retailer (GC, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, MF) have credit cards that offer no interest financing (depending on when you buy and there are varying time periods to pay it off), but, sales tax is added when you go through them and you probably need a decent credit history to apply for the card. Of course if your looking for a deal, then Reverb would probably be the place to go because if you get a fake you can dispute the purchase and have a better than average chance of getting your money back.

SGFanWNC82

Reaction score
Well, I confirmed it. I don't know if they came from an Epiphone with some kind of P90 but the mounting was entirely different from an Iommi and there are other differences.

Now here is something interesting. Austin's were around 8 ohm bridge and maybe 10% less neck. These we exactly 7.65 and 7.3

I did have a music store that got stuck with three Iommi P90 SG's let me test their pickups vs a Gibson Les Paul Tribute P90 that was used but still bone stock from all appearances. Same pickup, one chrome cover(Iommi) and one has the plastic cover(Les Paul Tribute did).

I was lucky here.

SGFanWNC82

Reaction score
I just checked Gibson's website and they have right-handed Iommi SGs in stock (leftys appear to be special order). My advice, bypass the middleman and go straight to the source if you want an authentic Iommi with a two-year factory warranty to boot. The awesomest thing about buying direct from Gibson is they don't charge state sales tax and they ship free. The downside is there is no financing so you'd pay full retail up front, but every major, reputable retailer (GC, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, MF) have credit cards that offer no interest financing (depending on when you buy and there are varying time periods to pay it off), but, sales tax is added when you go through them and you probably need a decent credit history to apply for the card. Of course if your looking for a deal, then Reverb would probably be the place to go because if you get a fake you can dispute the purchase and have a better than average chance of getting your money back.

I hear you and I greatly respect the wisdom of what you are saying. I was about to be able to divest 3 guitars, get one I very much like and fancy so much but it is now gone to me, a pair of "Iommi" pickups. I was also to get one other SG.

The guitar that now gone from me is a vintage SG that I remember from 35 years ago and is an original Norvin SG Special. It has the volute, twin HB's(era correct Gibson's and so far as I know the originals), and also a heritage cherry. I have known of it intimately 35yrs, and the previous owner promised me first chance to buy it, however his son was gigging with it, got hard up for money and didn't pawn it where we could recover it, HE SOLD IT. Which was out of the question, and the son doing that is viewed by both myself and his own father as having sold something he did not own, and I did not ag it on but the father has come close twice now towards charging him criminally.

At any rate, forums got enough drama without me dragging in off internet drama.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
I hear you and I greatly respect the wisdom of what you are saying. I was about to be able to divest 3 guitars, get one I very much like and fancy so much but it is now gone to me, a pair of "Iommi" pickups. I was also to get one other SG.

The guitar that now gone from me is a vintage SG that I remember from 35 years ago and is an original Norvin SG Special. It has the volute, twin HB's(era correct Gibson's and so far as I know the originals), and also a heritage cherry. I have known of it intimately 35yrs, and the previous owner promised me first chance to buy it, however his son was gigging with it, got hard up for money and didn't pawn it where we could recover it, HE SOLD IT. Which was out of the question, and the son doing that is viewed by both myself and his own father as having sold something he did not own, and I did not ag it on but the father has come close twice now towards charging him criminally.

At any rate, forums got enough drama without me dragging in off internet drama.
Speaking of horror stories, a buddy of mine and I went to Guitar Center to buy our guitars together to get a discount deal back in '86. I got my first SG (which I still own) and he got a beautiful LP Custom. A few years later, my buddy gave the guitar to a weed dealer as collateral on an 1/8 of bud. The a-hole sold it out from under him and he couldn't go to the cops because of the circumstances. It still can't believe what a dumbass my friend was, it still boggles my imagination.

Latest posts