Incoming Epi SG classic P90

JLill

Reaction score
Hello I’m new here. I have an Epi SG classic worn p90 arriving tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. I had a Gibson LP jr with a single P90 and miss the tone, My other electric s are a player plus tele and Gretsch 5420 hollow. These should be as wide a selection that I need/want.

I’ve read the fret work on the Epi can be pretty hit or miss so I hope I get a good one. I don’t plan on making any upgrades on it. At least not in the foreseeable future. Looking forward to this forum too.

Happy Labor Day!
Jim

DrBGood

Reaction score
GOOD CHOICE ! Red or green ?

There's a good chance it'll come with its pickups adjusted too high. Play with that to find their sweet spot. I always start by lowering the neck P90 to the lowest it can go and it usually stays there giving great definition and a good balance with the bridge P90. Then adjust the bridge height so middle position gives a honky almost acoustic tone that differs from neck alone.

JLill

Reaction score
GOOD CHOICE ! Red or green ?

There's a good chance it'll come with its pickups adjusted too high. Play with that to find their sweet spot. I always start by lowering the neck P90 to the lowest it can go and it usually stays there giving great definition and a good balance with the bridge P90. Then adjust the bridge height so middle position gives a honky almost acoustic tone that differs from neck alone.
Great thanks for the tips. I got the red one. I like satin finishes and necks.

Reaction score
With most guitars I like to adjust the bridge to where I like it and then adjust the neck to match volume.

But with P90's, I'm with @DrBGood : You want to end up with the neck down by the pickguard or just above to be able to get those nice cleans when you roll back to 8. So I start by making the neck sound good when it's a little rolled back. Then I adjust the bridge to match that volume wise with everything on 10. That usually ends up in a good spot.

Those Epi's are a great choice. The later/revised style neck on those gives you a nice solid guitar. I love the early skinny necks, but they do have some wobble. I don't notice the wobble on the early ones so much as I notice how solid those later ones are when I play one.

Last edited:

JLill

Reaction score
Well I received the guitar yesterday. Spent a little time on it last night. I has to lower the string height no big deal. Intonation is close but I'll dial that in soon. First impressions are good. Frets seem level and fret ends are pretty smooth.

Question. What kind of treble bleed mod would you guys/gals recommend?

If I'm reading serial # right it was made in 11/21 so I'll be replacing strings this weekend. They do show some corrosion spots on them.

plankton

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new guitar, a SG with P90s is a great thing.

As far as treble bleeds, I like the Kinman style which is a cap and resistor in series. I find that it gives me a nice even roll-off tone that doesn't retain too much of the high end, and it doesn't mess with the taper of the pot as much as the other styles. For my Epi P90 Special I used a 1.2nF cap with a 220K ohm resistor, you could try that as a starting point and tweak the values to your personal taste.

JLill

Reaction score
Well I found out last night that the neck pickup doesn't work with the selector in the middle position. If I barely move the toggle it kicks on but kicks back off when I let it return to center. Probably an easy fix if I wanted to take it apart but I really don't want to on a new guitar. May be sending it back. Kinda torn though because it seems great otherwise.

plankton

Reaction score
If you really like the guitar otherwise it is an easy fix. The contact for the neck pickup just needs to be bent slightly so it's touching the main contact when in the middle position. Super easy to do on an open switch.

DrBGood

Reaction score
If you really like the guitar otherwise it is an easy fix. The contact for the neck pickup just needs to be bent slightly so it's touching the main contact when in the middle position. Super easy to do on an open switch.
That or I'd start by spraying it with Deoxit. It often is just be a dust particle cutting the contact.

Like plankton wrote, it is a simple mechanical part.

Toggle switch.jpg

Latest posts