(Kinda) NGD: 2014 SG Standard '61

Schpyder

Reaction score
"Kinda" because I actually got this almost 2 months ago, but only found out about ETSG really recently. So I figure I'll make an NGD thread as basic introduction! :smile:

So I wanted an SG for a while. Came into a little bit of money recently and decided to go looking. After doing a decent amount of research (Gibson's MY changes are harder than hell to keep track of) and playing as many as I could get my hands on, I fell in love with this little number:

sg8.jpg

It's a 2014 SG Standard '61, a special run Gibson did for GC that reverted the 120th anniversary 12th fret inlay (ugh) and MinE-Tune (UGH) back to the 2013 spec trapezoid inlay and Kluson Deluxe machine heads. It's basically exactly what I wanted in an SG: heritage cherry, '57 Classics, small PG, 60s slim taper neck profile, ToM stoptail bridge, no PCBs, and even an OSHC. The push-pull pots for coil-splitting are a little extraneous, but certainly don't hurt anything.

It plays incredibly well, and it's pretty much the first guitar where I've ever plugged it in and gone "yes, that is exactly the sound I want." There's almost no blemishes at all, just some swirling on the PG (of course), and what looks like a tiny bit of finish scraped along the low E side of the bottom edge of the headstock. Certainly not worth worrying about for what was an incredible deal, and basically guaranteed to be my #1 player going forward.

I'm really damn happy.

Some more shots:

sg2.jpg

sg3.jpg

sg4.jpg
sg5.jpg

RVA

Reaction score
SWWWWWWWEEEEEEET! Congrats and welcome!

frankd

Reaction score
Yes very nice you find that in a local music store ?
welcome and thanks
Frankd

RedMastiff

Reaction score
hey happy new guitar day:
dotn want to be a party broker but I think thats a 2014 with 2013 standard spec:
THe headstock is not like the r61, on the 61 its bigger and sharper. also the grail its on the center while on the r61 is more up.
I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure since I got a 2013 standard too xD
can I ask, how many parts has the body?

Schpyder

Reaction score
It's not a '61 reissue, as mentioned in the OP, it's a special run called the "SG Standard '61" that Gibson did for Guitar Center in 2014, that basically takes the 2014 Standard and reverts it to 2013 Standard spec, so basically what you just described (although still actually a 2014 model). Not sure on body part count! The grain is pretty pronounced as you can see, and I can't find any seams.

Edit: here's GC's product page for this model, the only place with any actual specs listed: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/...Electric-Guitar-Desert-Burst-1375717133334.gc

CCC

Reaction score
Excellent!!!!!!!

I got a 16 2016 standard 61 reissue and switched out the 57s for some bare knuckle pickups (which I wouldn't touch if you've got the single coil action going on). This is by far my favorite guitar. Oh, the neck.......What a beaut that is you have. Well done!

smitty_p

Reaction score
Very, very nice!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the awesome pics!

Latest posts