Long thread on the GearPage about SG's "flawed" design. Anyone else see it?

TheDixiePig

Reaction score

I don't participate on that forum as the conversations turn juvenile too much, too often. But I do see and read things from time to time I like. This thread lingered for a while and I read it all as it went down. I think some of our members here may have chimed in. It was interesting to see what non-SG fans have to say, and the defenders as well. Personally, I love mine, but I AM on an all SG forum, so that's a given right?

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
People like to endlessly debate "bugs" vs "features" on the internet. Sometimes it is interesting, but most of the time I just find it tedious. At the end of the day everyone gets to decide for themselves what sort of guitar they want to spend their hard earned money on. We are certainly spoiled for choice these days, but most of the internet arguments boil down to people looking for external validation that they are the best and the rest are flawed.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Yea, they suck so badly that they’re one of the biggest sellers for over 60 yrs now. Just terrible.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I have a rant for every predictable complaint or criticism. "tHe nEcK iS wObBlY!" Uhh, why are you putting forward/backward pressure on the neck at all while playing? It's a guitar, not a baseball bat. If Angus Young can flail around on the floor and jump off amps while staying in tune, the problem isn't the SG.

Headstock breaks don't prove that the design is somehow flawed. Simply put, fine instruments are often delicate and are to be treated with care. You wouldn't call a Stradivarius violin "flimsy". You wouldn't complain that your lamp was poorly made because it broke when you knocked it off the nightstand. Generally speaking, SGs were not treated with care until they started gaining vintage status in the 1990s, much later than the Les Paul. Also, people seem to assume the early '60s heel design is weak simply because of how it looks from the outside, without knowing the design of the mortise and tenon. The design featured a substantial tenon spanning the entire width of the neck, which reached nearly to the back of the neck pickup cavity as well. Meanwhile, modern Custom/Historic SGs use a functionally identical design and have not gained a reputation for neck breaks. Also, it's not like there aren't Les Pauls with broken necks; no guitar is immune from breaking if dropped or otherwise mishandled. Guitars are not designed to withstand impacts; they aren't crash-tested like automobiles.

plankton

Reaction score
I am pretty active on TGP, but there's lots of threads I choose to stay away from because they're just way too dumb. I did make a few short comments on that thread though. It's pretty ridiculous how long that thread has gotten.

Bottom line, people need to come to terms with the fact that we're all different and therefore all prefer different things. Personally I don't like Les Pauls, but that doesn't mean they're a flawed design, just not right for me.

Sootio

Reaction score
People like to endlessly debate "bugs" vs "features" on the internet. Sometimes it is interesting, but most of the time I just find it tedious. At the end of the day everyone gets to decide for themselves what sort of guitar they want to spend their hard earned money on. We are certainly spoiled for choice these days, but most of the internet arguments boil down to people looking for external validation that they are the best and the rest are flawed.

I read TGP for comedy and that thread was a hoot. I agree that kind of thread is usually a PRS fan needing validation. I personally don't care what anyone thinks about SGs. They feel like home to me..

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
I read TGP for comedy and that thread was a hoot. I agree that kind of thread is usually a PRS fan needing validation. I personally don't care what anyone thinks about SGs. They feel like home to me..
Preferences stated as fact seem to be endemic over there. I've also never seen the need to elevate my choices by denigrating others choices. I can be strongly opinionated about what works for me, but at the end of the day I realize others have different wants and needs from my own.

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
There are a thousand threads on the same topics over there, people should learn how to use the search function and stop being lazy. I agree with DixiePig’s last post, it’s as simple as that really.

Latest posts