Look at that, a new Tony Iommi SG Special.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I was in a shop the other day and they had the new '61 "Les Paul" SG and it was $1759 AUD, didn't seem any nicer than my P90 Special I got for $800 a couple years ago. Maybe all the praise they've been getting online for the newer models is going to their heads.

Those are a special "Reissue" model that has Gibson Burstbuckers, no veneers, just a 2-piece bookmatched body, Nickel hardware, CTS pots and Mallory caps.

plankton

Reaction score
Those are a special "Reissue" model that has Gibson Burstbuckers, no veneers, just a 2-piece bookmatched body, Nickel hardware, CTS pots and Mallory caps.

Thanks, I was fully aware of what it was, but in terms of feel and playability it did not seem worth the upcharge from the standard models, IMO. The big difference for me was the looks, it is nicer than the horrible stripey veneer that they put on their guitars these days. As far as electronics, pots are pots and caps are caps, no big deal there, and I'm quite happy with the pickups Epiphone produces these days and don't feel the need to spend extra on ones that happen to say "Gibson" on them.

So for me, those reissues are a bunch of marketing hype to support an over-inflated price tag. But everyone should try one and make up their own mind.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Thanks, I was fully aware of what it was, but in terms of feel and playability it did not seem worth the upcharge from the standard models, IMO. The big difference for me was the looks, it is nicer than the horrible stripey veneer that they put on their guitars these days. As far as electronics, pots are pots and caps are caps, no big deal there, and I'm quite happy with the pickups Epiphone produces these days and don't feel the need to spend extra on ones that happen to say "Gibson" on them.

So for me, those reissues are a bunch of marketing hype to support an over-inflated price tag. But everyone should try one and make up their own mind.

The upgrades in materials do cost money to produce. The set of Burstbuckers alone would set you back the entire upcharge of $350 over a regular Epiphone SG Standard, if you bought them separately. Playability is largely dictated by setup. The upgrades of this model are for sound quality and appearance/historical accuracy, not playability.

ChaseB

Reaction score
I'm a huge Iommi fan but I have to say, Epiphone could have done a bit better with the horn beveling on these at that price point. My favorite is still my 2011 50th Anniversary SG Special even though the veneer is a bit much....great player and the beveling is pretty nice

DrBGood

Reaction score
My favorite is still my 2011 50th Anniversary SG Special even though the veneer is a bit much....great player and the beveling is pretty nice
That is a tone monster. I had the black one for some time, but I couldn't get along with its spaghettini thin neck.

PeterH

Reaction score
it looks like a 2-piece corpus wich is a quite inappropriate for a grand i think. the bridge combined with the pickguard keeps me from seeing this model as an options for me

Grizzlyman

Reaction score
I thought 2 piece was about the best you could get on an Epi? Most Gibson standards are 2 piece… only custom shops seem to be one piece bodies?
Maybe I’m wrong though…
it looks like a 2-piece corpus wich is a quite inappropriate for a grand i think. the bridge combined with the pickguard keeps me from seeing this model as an options for me

Huntroll

Reaction score
"As far as electronics, pots are pots and caps are caps, no big deal there,"

I beg to differ -

Even though these Mallory capacitors, CTS pots and Switchcraft switches & jacks are made in China . . .

They're of the highest quality design and materials available, made to be the of highest quality no matter what.

Chinese people are extremely proud and its the fruit of their labor that exemplifies it.

And they're fully aware of that !

When the Chinese specifically stress quality, they deliver 1000 % !

Right Tony ?

PeterH

Reaction score
I thought 2 piece was about the best you could get on an Epi? Most Gibson standards are 2 piece… only custom shops seem to be one piece bodies?
Maybe I’m wrong though…
The SG Classic from Epiphone with the P90s got a 2 piece body and they go for about 400€. I honestly thought Gibson's Standard's were 1 pieces i have to research since i never owned one yet.

laza616

Reaction score
Not always but i have seen one piece Gibson SG faded. Also one piece Epiphone SG MIJ
But i have never crossed a one piece Standard, usually three or two piece
With Epiphone you can see 5 piece too...

Latest posts