Made my decision on an SG need some advice.

SG_ROCKER

Reaction score
I have decided on an Epiphone SG Custom in ebony. My dilemma is this. I want to buy it from zZounds. But I’m maxed out on the pay as you play plan. So im considering selling my Fender Player Stratocaster that I’ve modded to include Vintera 60s pickups, a mint pickguard and aged plastic parts. Would you sell this guitar for the SG Custom? I paid $849 for the Fender plus the upgrade. I could probably get enough from the sale to pay for the SG. I really want this SG but I kinda love the Fender it sounds amazing through my Fender Deluxe Reverb. I have a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat so I’d still have a Stratocaster to play and it’s quality is on par with the Player. Or should I wait until I paid my zZounds account down enough to just get the SG on the payment plan. Tried to post a pic of the Fender but it says it too large and I don’t have a way to resize it.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Probably your best bet is to wait. How many people have started a sentence that goes like, "I had this guitar that I loved, sold it and now I regret it." Also, modded guitars tend to go down in value anyway. You love it, you know it's a n upgrade, yet...

Beyond that, Epiphone will always make more guitars and you'll have another opportunity to buy one when you're in a better position to afford it.

Hector

Reaction score
Probably your best bet is to wait. How many people have started a sentence that goes like, "I had this guitar that I loved, sold it and now I regret it." Also, modded guitars tend to go down in value anyway. You love it, you know it's a n upgrade, yet...

Beyond that, Epiphone will always make more guitars and you'll have another opportunity to buy one when you're in a better position to afford it.

This...

Also, maybe try to save up as much money as you can in order to buy the Epi, so you can have your Strat and play your Epi too ?

Huntroll

Reaction score
Try to scrape up an extra hundred dollars to add to your next payment.

Send in the payment, wait a few days, then you should be good to go.

I always have them tell me the last few digits of the serial number of what they have to sell, then I select the guitar that has an ending sequence that's easy to remember.

I always try to get a unit that ends with the number 1.

Good luck with your new guitar !

Col Mustard

Reaction score
ETSG motto:

IF YOU NEED MONEY,
DON'T SELL YOUR SG...
SELL SOMETHING ELSE.

I'll amend this motto to include "Don't sell your Strat!"
Especially if you have modded it to where it's just the way you want it.
Keep both guitars.They cover different tonal ground.
Use both of them, each for different songs.

Your new SG will never sound like your Strat.
And vice versa. That's why both platforms exist,
and that's why guitarists like to own and play both.

So either sell something else, or do some extra work to come up
with some extra cash, or find some other (legal) way to get enough
money to get that new SG. Make sure you allow enough money
to also get your new SG set up by the best luthier you can find.

Epiphones respond really well to setup. Many times we've seen posts
by members who are trying to transition from a Fender guitar to an SG, and they struggle. It's either the neck shape or the difference in
neck scale, or it's the different tone of the hum bucking p'ups, but the
difference often throws a player into a tizzy.

There are plenty of ways to get around this of course, but if you keep
your Strat the transition will be easier IMHO.
05-13-14 music room 2@100.jpg

SG_ROCKER

Reaction score
After reading the comments and taking some time to think on the matter I’ve decided not to sell the Strat. I know I’d truly miss it after its gone. Thanks for all the replies and help in making this decision. I made sure to play it some last night just so I remember what I love about it.

SG_ROCKER

Reaction score
Did you play a real Gibson SG Special ?
I’m sure a Gibson SG Special is an awesome guitar but I want the custom. The Gibson equivalent is a custom shop only guitar thats almost 5 grand. Way outside my price range.

Hector

Reaction score
I’m sure a Gibson SG Special is an awesome guitar but I want the custom. The Gibson equivalent is a custom shop only guitar thats almost 5 grand. Way outside my price range.

Can I ask why you are liking the Epi SG Custom, as opposed to a SG Special ?

In case it is pure aesthetics, were I in your shoes, I would go any play these two guitars and then make my decision...

papagayo

Reaction score
Did you try not coming on the Epiphone section of the forum and stop telling people that want an Epiphone to buy a Gibson ?

That would be sooo refreshing from you.

Who are you to say what I can write?

An Epiphone "custom" is not a Gibson Les Paul/SG Custom and a Gibson a SG Special deep buried an Epiphone called "custom" ...

papagayo

Reaction score
The Tokai SG 71 S is better quality than the Epi and the shape is original, correct bevel.

Temp 47941.JPG

Last edited:

Browning

Reaction score
I was looking at a comparison of an epi custom and standard and it looks like the differences are just appearance items? Am I missing something?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
After reading the comments and taking some time to think on the matter I’ve decided not to sell the Strat. I know I’d truly miss it after its gone. Thanks for all the replies and help in making this decision. I made sure to play it some last night just so I remember what I love about it.
well, IMHO that's a good choice. I'd love to have a Strat like
the way you've modded yours. So I didn't think you should let
yours go. Get your Strat set up too, and give it a new life.

We've seen many posts by guys who sold something they didn't
realize they'd miss so much, and then regretted it later.
And I'm a "gimme both" kind of guy anyway.

Ignore all the rancorous remarks... both of those guys are very worth
listening to, they each know a lot and just happened to irritate
each other on this thread. Let it be, and make up your own mind.

Look how well Epiphone and Fender go together:
SnowWhite Caledonia@100.jpg
These guitars both do different things really well. And they look great together: ye black and ye blonde.

Latest posts